Other formats

TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Return of the Correspondence signed or, Purporting to be signed by William Thompson te Waharoa, etc.

[Translation.] — Wi Tamihana Waharoa to His Excellency the Governor

[corresponding (en, en)]

[Translation.]
Wi Tamihana Waharoa to His Excellency the Governor.

To Governor Grey,—

Matamata, 6th August, 1862.

Salutations to you. Do you hearken: The spirits I wrote to Mr. Smith about—namely, the spirits belonging to the French pakeha, which I detained here in the jail because he persisted in bringing spirits here in the Maori vessel. You also wrote to me respecting those spirits. This was your word: "It is well those spirits should be detained." The reason of my writing to you is, namely, page 13that you may know those spirits have been stolen—two bottles have been drunk. The men by whom it was stolen have been tried, and have paid £5. Do you look and see that it is wrong, or that it is right. Perhaps that French pakeha will soon come to the Magistrate; it is said he will not so to the Native Secretary's Office—he will go direct to the Magistrate.

Friend, if you approve of what is here said, send me an answer. If it be wrong, write to me; let an answer to my letter be sent quickly, that I may soon hear it is good or that it is evil. Enough.

From Wi Tamihana Waharoa.

Hone Te Kuti will bring me the answer.
To Governor Sir George Grey, Auckland.