The Pamphlet Collection of Sir Robert Stout: Volume 79
The New Province
The New Province.
On December 1st, 1858, a proclamation decided that the council of the province should consist of 10 members and that the province should be divided into six districts:—Napier (three members), Napier Country (two), Clive (one), Mohaka (one), Te Aute (one), and Waipukaran (two). The election resulted in the following members being returned:—Napier, Messrs. T. H. Fitzgerald, W. Colenso and T. Hitchings; Napier Country, Messrs H. S. Tiffen and J. C. L. Carter; Clive, Mr J. Rhodes; Mohaka, Mr Robert Riddell; Te Aute, Mr E. S. Curling; Waipukurau, Messrs J. D. Ormond and J. Tucker. The establishment of the new province was celebrated by two days' racing, a dinner, and a ball in the schoolhouse. The first meeting of the council took place in the Golden Fleece Hotel on Saturday, April 23rd, 1859. Mr J. D. Ormond was elected chairman of the meeting, and subsequently Speaker of the Council and Mr T. H. Fitzgerald Superintendent. As a matter of fact, the first choice for Superintendent seems to have lain between Captain Newman and Captin Carter, but, as the Councillors were equally divided, both caudidates retired. The second meeting of the council was held on Monday, May 16th, when the Superintendent gave his address. The first officers of the Provincial Government were as follows:—Clerk, Mr G. T. Fannin; treasurer. Mr F. Catchpool; solictor, Mr W. Boorman; auditor, Mr W. Colenso; engineer. Mr T gill; registrar of deeds, Mr H B Sealy; director of harbour improvements and public works, Mr E. G. Wright. Of all these, only Mr Ormond is with us to-day. We have now carried the story of old Hawke's Bay as far as the inauguration of provincial government, and there we must leave it for the present. To the page 64 self-reliant character of our pioneers we all owe a debt of gratitude, and it is fitting to put on recored our appreciation of the good work they did in the early days of the settlement.
Herald Print Napier.