Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Pamphlet Collection of Sir Robert Stout: Volume 78

Wesleyan Native Institution: established in 1844 ... [described by R. Hobbs]

page break

Wesleyan Native Institution.

The Brett Printing and Publishing Co., Ltd. Auckland, N.Z.

page break

Rev. Walter Lawry,

General Superintendent of Wesleyan Missions, and

Rev. Thomas Buddle

Were the Founders of the Wesleyan Native Institution, 1844.

Rev. Thomas Buddle.

Rev. Thomas Buddle.

page break

Preface.

In a few short years the old Trustees of Grafton Road and Three Kings Wesleyan Native Institution properties will have all passed away. It is therefore very important that all reports, letters, and other records relating to same should be collected and printed and kept with the deeds, for the information of those who follow; and it is with this object, and as a contribution to such a collection, that I have collated and printed the information contained in this pamphlet.

The Institution referred to was established by the Rev. Walter Lawry in 1844. He was then the Superintendent of Wesleyan Missions in New Zealand, and the Rev. Thomas Buddle, who was placed in charge of it, and superintended the erection of the building in Grafton Road, where the Institution was established, made a report at the time to the Foreign Mission Committee in London, a draft of which was found amongst Mr. Buddle's papers. This Report is of special value, conclusively proving, as it does, that the Wesleyan Mission, at the time the grant of Grafton Road property and the original Three Kings grant of 192 acres were made, had no other object in view than the training of Native ministers.

Perhaps it is as well that the question as to the interpretation of the trusts of these grants, and of the subsequent grants made by Sir George Grey, should have arisen while some of those who know the circumstances are still alive. I mean the question as to whether the rents received from the original grants can be legitimately amalgamated with those received from the Sir George Grey grants, which latter grants "extended the operations" of the "Wesleyan Native Institution to wider educational purposes, and as to whether the District Meeting did right, during the time when the Institution was unavoidably closed, in appropriating the rents to the support of the Native Missionaries, which I unhesitatingly say was the right thing to do, and am supported by the legal opinions quoted in this pamphlet.

Various legal opinions have been taken on the interpretation of the Trusts of the Sir George Grey grants, but the administration of the Wesleyan Native Institution grants has never been questioned, and it is not for anyone to wrest the meaning of these grants by endeavouring to show that the trusts have been amalgamated with those of the Grey grants. These later grants were page 4 for the purpose of "extending the operations" of the Wesleyan Mission on an educational basis, but can by no means be held to alter the objects of those grants, which are clearly defined to be for Wesleyan purposes only. The Premier, in his place in the House, stated, "That in many cases the purposes for which endowments had been granted were defined to be 'for the use or 'towards the support and maintenance of the said school so long 'as religious education, industrial training and instruction in 'the English language shall be given to youths educated therein 'or maintained thereat,' and it was difficult to say how far those purposes might be considered to be carried out in institutions so diverse in character as the Three Kings, Auckland, which is, in part, at all events, a training college for theological students, etc."

Richard Hobbs.

Auckland,
page 5

Report, etc., by the Rev. Thos. Buddle.

The importance of Native agency to assist in carrying out the work of God in the various parts of the Mission field has long been felt by the directors of our Society at Home, and attempts have been made in different places to raise such an agency by means of institutions like this.

In Southern Africa, a similar establishment has been in existence for some time, and the Rev. Wm. Shaw, General Superintendent of our Missions in that part of the world, bears testimony to its utility (see Annual Report, p. 59).

In the Friendly Islands and Feejee this work has also been commenced, and, though in its infancy, promises to be a valuable auxiliary to the few scattered missionaries who are labouring in those numerous and populous islands.

The importance of such an institution has been long and deeply felt by the New Zealand missionaries. Their circuits are generally so extensive, and their people so widely scattered, that they find it impracticable to give to all the various tribes scattered over a distance of 100 or 150 miles, that pastoral attention necessary to their moral and spiritual improvement. And hence they have felt that a few well instructed Native teachers placed at the outposts, in the capacity of teachers and schoolmasters, under the superintendence of the regular missionary, would be invaluable; but the way never properly opened for such an establishment till the arrival of the Rev. W. Lawry as General Superintendent of these missions. He had been long impressed with the importance of such an auxiliary, and had urged the measure on the attention of the Parent Society, who instructed him to take immediate steps toward accomplishing this desirable object.

On reaching the colony, he consulted the senior missionaries, who all agreed that the time was now come to commence such a work, and strongly urged prompt attention to the subject. A public meeting was held, and the following resolutions unanimously passed.

The object the Committee have in view is that of training some of our best Native teachers that they may be employed as schoolmasters, or assistant missionaries, as their talents and piety may dictate.

The plan of instruction will be Scripture reading, catechism, writing, arithmetic, the English language, and a course of lectures on the leading doctrines of Christianity.

The Committee confidently commend their undertaking to the prayers and benevolence of their friends, convinced that by pro- page 6 moting the spread of Scriptural Christianity and enlightened civilization among the natives they will, in a very important and efficient manner, promote the prosperity and happiness of this infant colony.

In pursuance of these resolutions, a subscription was forth-with commenced, and the result was most encouraging, as the following list will testify.

Dr. £ s. d
Mr. Vaile's Account 80 0 0
Shingles and Nails 10 11 6
Food for Natives 3 0 0
Grahame, for Sundries 6 3 0
Expenditure £99 14 6
Cr. £ s. d.
Amount Received 58 12 0
Amount Promised 12 0 0
Contributions 70 12 0
Balance 29 2 6
The finances are as follows:—
Dr. £ s. d.
Outlay for Buildings 80 0 0
Shingles and Nails 10 11 6
Sundries 9 3 0
£99 14 6
Cr. £ s. d.
Contributions Paid 58 12 0
Contributions Promised 12 0 0
70 12 0
Balance Due to Treasurer 29 2 6

N.B.—The above is a copy of a document in my possession, in my father's handwriting. It must have been written in 1844.—Thos. Buddle.

Wesleyan Native Institution.

Native Students for the Institution.

Kawhia—John Egglestone, Taniora, John Lee.

Waingaroa—Hamiora Hetaraka.

page 7

Waipa—Himiona.

Aotea

Taranaki North—Wiremu Kingi, Jabez Waterhouse, Hone.

Taranaki South (Wellington)—Timoti Rinpane.

Port Nicholson—Hemi Karene, Timoti Ihaka.

Cloudy Bay—Hore Patara.

Waikowaiti—Timoti Taiho, Paora Tua, Mohi.

The following case was submitted by me for Mr. J. C. Martin's opinion:—

Re Wesleyan Native Institution.

During the war the Institution at the Three Kings was closed.

The Maori missionaries in the out-districts continued at their posts and performed their duties.

They were paid maintenance or sustenance moneys from the Fund.

Rev. Thos. Buddle's Report is submitted as proof as to what the Institution was established for.

Question : Were these payments legal ?

11th July, 1906.

Opinion.

Assuming that the document produced to us headed "Report, etc.," correctly sets out the objects of the Institution, we are of opinion that the authorities of that Institution were justified in paying those missioners or Native teachers who had been trained as such and were doing their work so far as they could in the then circumstances. Apparently, among other things, the Institution was intended to supply Native teachers" placed at the outposts in the capacity of teachers and schoolmasters," or assistant missioners. If there had been no war, and the work that these persons were doing was such that they could legitimately have been paid for, then we think that the authorities were justified in paying them sustenance money, although they did not carry on their work owing to the war. They were, we assume, ready and willing to go on with their work, and, in fact, did so, so far as the state of war permitted them.

If our assumptions are right, we think the authorities were justified in payment of the sustenance money. We return documents herewith.

Devore & Martin.

Richards Hobbs,

Esq., Auckland.
page 8

Grafton Road and 192 Acres, Three Kings, Auckland.

Grafton Road Property, held under Crown Grant from Governor Fitzroy, in 1844, 6 acres 3 roods; and 192 acres at Three Kings in 1844. For the purpose of a "Wesleyan Native Institution," and vested in the Superintendent of the Wesleyan Mission in trust "for the general purposes of the aforesaid Wesleyan Native Institution."

The following is a copy of the C. grant for Grafton Road, and the other grant is in the same terms:—

Victoria, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, Queen Defender of the Faith, and so forth.

To all to Whom these Presents Shall Come, Greeting.

Whereas it is desirable that a portion of ground should be set apart in the vicinity of Auckland, in our territory of New Zealand, to be used for the purposes of a Wesleyan Native Institution, and that the same should be vested in the Superintendent of the Wesleyan Mission in the said territory for the time being: Now Know Ye that we, of our special grace, certain knowledge and mere motion, for us our heirs and successors, do hereby grant unto the Reverend Walter Lawry, Superintendent of the Wesleyan Mission in our said territory of New Zealand, and to his successors in the superintendence of the said Mission, All that allotment or parcel of land containing by admeasurement 6 acres and 3 roods, more or less, being lot 20 of section three of the suburbs of Auckland, situated in the parish of Waitemata and county of Eden, as the same is more particularly described in the Crown Grant thereof, registered under No. 34196 and delineated by the plan drawn hereon, with all the rights and appurtenances thereto belonging, In Trust for the general purposes of the aforesaid Wesleyan Native Institution, To Hold unto the said Walter Lawry, Superintendent of the Wesleyan Mission, and his successors for ever.

page 9

In Testimony Whereof we have caused this our grant to be sealed with the seal of our said territory.

Robert Fitzroy.

Witness our trusty and well-beloved Robert Fitzroy, Esquire, Governor and Commander-in-Chief of our said territory and its dependencies, at Government House, Auckland, in New Zealand aforesaid, this seventh day of October, in the eighth year of our reign, and in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and forty-four.

Robt. Fitzroy.

Copy of the Sir George Grey Grants, Three Kings.

Victoria by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland Queen and Defender of the Faith and so forth.

To all to whom these Presents shall come, Greeting.

Whereas a School hath been established by the Government at Three Kings, in the Suburbs of Auckland, under the superintendence of the Superintendent of the Wesleyan Mission in New Zealand, for the education of children of our subjects of both races and of children of our poor and destitute persons being inhabitants of the Islands in the Pacific Ocean: and whereas it would promote the objects of the said Institution to set apart certain pieces or parcels of land in the neighbourhood thereof for the use and towards the maintenance and support of the same—

Now know ye that we for our Heirs and Successors do hereby grant unto the said Superintendent of the said Mission all that allotment or parcel of land in our Province of New Ulster containing twenty acres, more or less, situated in the Province of Waitemata, in the County of Eden, and being one hundred and twenty-four of Section ten.

All that allotment or parcel of land containing two hundred and eighty acres, more or less, situated in the Parish of Titirangi, in the County of Eden, and being eighty-seven.

All that allotment containing two hundred and twenty-seven acres, more or less, situated in the Parish of Waitemata and County of Eden and being fourteen of Section thirteen, as the game are more particularly described in the Crown Grant thereof, Registered under number 34191, and delineated by the plans drawn hereon, together with the rents, issues, and proceeds page 10 thereof, to hold unto the said Superintendent and his successors in trust nevertheless and for the use and towards the support and maintenance of the said School so long as religious education, industrial training and instruction in the English language shall be given to youths educated therein or maintained thereat.

In testimony whereof we have caused this our Grant to be sealed with the Seal of our said Province of New Ulster.

Witness our trusty and well-beloved Sir George Grey, K.C.B Governor and Commander-in-Chief of our said Province and its Dependencies at Government. House, Auckland, in New Ulster aforesaid, this fifteenth day of October, in the fourteenth year of our reign, and in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and fifty.

G. Grey.

My object in raising the question of the special terms or purposes on which these lands were; granted to our Church is that an attempt has been made to amalgamate or mix them up with the grants made by Sir George Grey in 1850 to 1857, which were Educational Endowments, as follows:—

The Grafton Road Land and the 192 Acres at There Kings were granted by Governor Fitzroy in 1844 for the purposes of a Wesleyan Native Institution. 1 quote Rev. Walter Lawry, General Superintendent, to the Wesleyan Missionary Committee in London:—"Auckland, December 18th, 1844.—I feel very deeply the importance of our new Training School or Native Institution, but I also feel its pressure and weight. We are all of one judgment here as to its being the design of the Lord that persons so well qualified in many respects as these hopeful natives are for giving religious instruction to their countrymen, under the care and direction of the Missionaries, ought to have all the preparatory training and advantages within our reach. The Governor (the late Admiral Fitzroy) has given us a suburban allotment of seven acres, close to Auckland, that is within one mile, and about five miles off he has given the Society a fine piece of land, somewhere about 200 acres, not yet surveyed, for the purpose of growing their own food. The site of the Institution buildings is secured to the Society for ever by a grant from the Crown. I have it already in my iron chest."

On the 4th March, 1845, the Institution buildings were opened with over 20 adult students, under the care of the Rev. Thomas Bundle, as principal, assisted by the Rev. H. H. Lawry.

page 11

On July 5th, 1847, the Rev. Thomas Buddle wrote to the Wesleyan Missionary Secretaries in London thus:—"The Native Institution is in active operation. The young men generally give us great satisfaction; they retain their piety, and increase in the knowledge and love of God."

N. B.—The foregoing extracts from official documents, which have been in print almost sixty years, should surely suffice to show that the original grant by Governor Fitzroy was to establish an institution for training teachers or ministers in connection with the Wesleyan Mission, and at its expense.

But, to remove any doubt, I reprint a letter from the Rev. Thomas Buddle, who opened the Institution, which is conclusive evidence that the Wesleyan Native Institution was theological, i.e., for training ministers (teachers they were then called) for our ministry.

The Three Kings Institution.

Sir—Will you allow me space for a few remarks on the articles you have lately published respecting the re-opening of the Three Kings Native Institution? You have evidently been influenced by some parties who have a strong animus against the Wesleyan body, and have induced you to misrepresent the facts of the case, and to scatter broadcast the gravest charges against your neighbours, and this under cover of fervent zeal for destitute children. I feel it to be my duty to enter my protest against the injustice clone to the trustees and the Wesleyan Conference in those articles, especially as I have been appointed to take charge of the institution. The questions you have raised are these:—1. What is the nature and what are the objects of the Trusts referred to? 2. Have the Trusts been faithfully administered? 3. Is the present action of the Wesleyan Conference in harmony with the Trusts?

1. As regards the nature and objects of the Trusts, these are to be ascertained from two sources: from the original grants, taken with Sir George Grey's letter and memo. of May 13, 1853, addressed to the late Rev. Walter Lawry, and setting forth the conditions on which grants of land and money would be made (a copy of which I now enclose). The first grants of land made by Governor Fitzroy were given for the exclusive purpose of a native training institution. I opened that institution and conducted it for several years. I had under my care about 20 young men; and page 12 I affirm that we contemplated at that time nothing beyond this; the idea of a general educational establishment had not entered into our plans. The Institution buildings at Grafton Road were erected by voluntary contributions raised in Auckland, and supplemented by Mission funds, and a grant of £200 per annum was received from the Wesleyan Missionary Society in aid of its operations, extending over a period of ten years. The Institution was publicly opened by Governor Pitzroy; the present Colonial Secretary, Dr. Pollen, with several other gentlemen, were present at the opening service, and can endorse my statement as to the object of the Institution. For a native training institution, then, and for no other object, we received the Grafton Road property, the 192 acres at Three Kings, on which the school buildings were erected, and the allotment in Parliament Street as a site for a native church to be connected with the Institution. The addition of a central school was a subsequent arrangement, and arose out of a proposal made by Sir George Grey, who, on visiting the training institution, said, "You are doing well; I will make yon further grants, and give what aid I can, if you will extend your operations and open a central school." For this object the grants made by Sir George were received on the conditions expressed in the memo. What are these conditions ?—the schools were to be of three kinds: colleges, central schools, primary schools. These were to be open to "Maori half-caste children of the Pacific, and orphans or destitute Europeans, upon such conditions as might be determined by the Auckland District Meeting." The funds granted were to provide education in colleges, central schools, and primary schools, and to "qualify native teachers for the ministry," and to be "administered by the Auckland District Meeting." Annual reports of the state of the distribution of the funds were to be "furnished to the Governor." These, then, were the conditions on which the grants in question were made to the Wesleyan Church.

2. And now, have the Trusts been faithfully kept? You affirm they have not, but "for years have been almost completely disregarded." You speak of "the unquestionable laches of the trustees," and charge them with "for years having steadily dis-regarded the claims and rights of destitute humanity," and "misapplied the funds for purposes entirely foreign to the objects of the Trusts." Sir, these are grave charges to prefer against respectable men, men of known probity and honour in the mercantile circles of Auckland. Surely you ought to have more thoroughly acquainted yourself with the history of the case before you held up those gentlemen to public reprobation. Common courtesy, not to say ordinary candour, not to mention the claims page 13 of justice, required this at your hands. "What has been the course pursued by the trustees in conjunction with the Auckland District Meeting?" "Have the three kinds of schools required been established ?" The Three Kings partook of the nature of both a College and Central School; native teachers and ministers were trained, and as many as 150 pupils were at one time under education and boarded in the institution. A Central School existed at Taranaki, and primary schools were opened at Mokau, Kawhia, Aotea, Raglan, Waipa, Kaipara and Hokianga. "Were the schools open to all the children specified in the memo. ?" Yes, so far as the trustees had funds at command. There were sometimes as many as 24 European children at Three Kings, with Maori and half-castes. Funds were not unlimited, and during the early years the land produced nothing but a few potatoes. Government grants were supplemented by grants from the Wesleyan Missionary Society, which supplied £200 per annum for first four years, and £500 per annum for the next six years; with these means the trustees did what they could. "Were the funds administered as required?" Yes. The different schools were expected to raise all they could on the lands connected with them, and the grants of money were distributed amongst them according to their respective claims. The land at Three Kings was fanned, and a regular account kept of farm produce sold for the support of the school. "Were annual reports and accounts furnished to the Government?" Yes. Detailed accounts of receipts and expenditure were annually furnished. You wish to have an opportunity of examining the details of expenditure, etc. These accounts are published in Government papers, and I must refer you to those papers; it is rather too much to ask us to lay before you the accounts that were rendered to the proper authorities, the correctness of which was never once questioned. As to reports, the schools were regularly inspected by gentlemen appointed by the Government, You have referred to one report, that of Mr. Rolleston, which is the only depreciatory report ever made of the state of the school. If you had been sufficiently candid, you would have looked at the reports for a period of years; had you done this, you would have found reports of a very different character from the pen of Hugh Carleton, Esq., H. Taylor, Esq, and others. All I have to say of Mr. Rolleston's report is, that it should be read with the protest entered by the Rev. James Buller against its unfairness. As to educational results, it is difficult to tabulate these. Teachers have been trained, who for years rendered good service in the primary schools. Native ministers hare been raised who have laboured successfully as evangelists among the native tribes. To sneer at Maori preacher training may be according to your taste, but many of those Maori page 14 preachers could give a clear and Scriptural "reason of the hope that is in them," and an intelligent Scriptural answer to any man asking the all-important question, "What must I do to be saved?" Many of the men of this class are dead—five still remain—faithful men, some of whom have rendered no small service to the Government of the country during the native troubles. And many native youths may be found in the country who can read and speak the English language, who received their education in these schools As to the closing of the Three Kings School, the trustees and District Meeting had to yield to the inevitable. Native relations with the Government became disturbed, and the pupils were gradually withdrawn, until the native war compelled the closing of the establishment. I had left Auckland when this crisis came, and am not able to speak from personal knowledge of the last few years, but I believe the proceeds of those properties have been faithfully applied in aid of schools and native work in different parts of the Auckland district.

3. And now, "Is the present action of the Wesleyan Conference in harmony with the specified Trusts?" You have characterised it as "a flagrant proceeding;" charged the Wesleyan body with "proposing to alienate the property from its original objects," and threatened us with the Supreme Court, and other dreadful consequences. I take exception to your hasty conclusions. Your premises are false, and your conclusions must fall to the ground. What is there so "flagrant" in the training of "teachers and preachers" when some of the property was received in trust for this special object, and no other, and the rest of the grants included it? In what way is it now proposed to alienate the property from its original objects? What great crime is the Wesleyan body about to commit in taking the first opportunity that has presented to reopen the institution for its original work, and so meet the demands that are being made upon it by its native churches? Sir, we yield to no class of men in reference to a due regard for the destitute, and with sufficient means should be as ready as you can be to render help. Rut you argue as though the Three Kings estate were vested in the trustees for the exclusive benefit of destitute Europeans, which I have clearly shown is not the fact. The best and most valuable properties are held for the very object for which the Wesleyan Conference proposes to use them; and as I fully endorse your own doctrine, viz., "Diversion of special Public Trusts from the objects for which such trusts were established, is a process which ought to be persistently resisted," I ask you if it is not the duty of the Wesleyan body persistently to resist the attempt you are now making to have the Trusts in question diverted from the training of native page 15 teachers to the support of destitute Europeans, and if such diversion would not be a malversation of Trusts? Sir George Grey's memorandum directs how the grants he made were to be appropriated. Several objects are provided for: one is the training of native teachers and ministers, the application of funds to the several objects is to be determined by the Auckland District Meeting; that meeting has determined according to the memo, to reopen the institution for the training of teachers, this being in its judgment the work at present required to be done in the interests of religious education among the native tribes. "Wherein has that body departed from the straight line of honesty in so doing?" It had not funds to enable it to embrace all the objects, it has selected what it deems at this time to be of most importance. Is it, then, guilty of violating "not only truth and justice and humanity, but law also?" Shame on the pen that imputed such conduct to honest men. The proposal of the Auckland Circuit to subscribe £150 per annum towards the funds of the institution on condition of receiving the Sunday services of the Principal and the students, you have also perverted, and treat it as though the officials of the Circuit sought to secure an advantage at the expense of the destitute. Is this candid?—is it just? 1 regard the proposal as highly creditable to those officials, who, instead of applying their funds to increase their pastoral staff, make some sacrifice of Circuit interest to aid the Three Kings by contributing £150 per annum to its funds, only asking in return Sunday services. Ought you to insinuate that those gentlemen are particepes criminis in a great public wrong for such an offer as this ? Nor have you fairly represented the proposal to receive English students into the institution. No part of the expense connected with these is to come from the institution funds; their support will be obtained from other sources. But you have presented this part of the plans to your readers in a way adapted to leave the impression that we are going to rob the destitute in order to secure means to train our ministers. Another proof of the animus that runs through the whole of your articles. The object of training the natives and Europeans in the same institution is to make them mutually helpful to each other. It is hoped that the Europeans will assist the natives in their English studies, and that the natives will help the Europeans in acquiring the Maori tongue, while one minister will be able to superintend the studies of both.

And now, sir, I must apologise for the length of my communication. I hope the information I have supplied may guide candid minds to right conclusions, and show the public that the Wesleyans in Auckland are not such a corrupt body as you have page 16 represented them to be; if they were, I should be sorry to be named as one of their ministers.

—I am, etc.,

Thomas Buddle.

The following letter, from the Rev. H. H. Lawry, is additional evidence, and substantiates the statements made by the Rev. Thomas Buddle, and by myself, as to the objects for which the grants were made by Governor Fitzroy in 1844, before Sir George Grey's arrival, who made grants to our Church or Mission for educational and other purposes, as set forth in the grants.

I should here state that what Rev. H. H. Lawry speaks of as Mission is our Maori Mission.

R. Hobbs.

Carleton Gore, Auckland,

Richard Hobbs,

Esq., Bayfield.

Dear Sir,—

Referring to the subject of our conversation, I have pleasure in stating to you that I was acquainted with the circumstances which gave rise to the establishment of the Wesleyan Native Institution for Training Native Teachers in Auckland, more than three score years ago, and took part in it.

The Missionary efforts of the Churches among the Islands of the Pacific had produced widely extended inquiries for teachers in greater numbers than could be supplied at that time, and with better methods of education.

When the New Zealand missionaries on their stations were consulted on the subject, they entered most warmly into the proposal, promising very hearty support, and in due time sending forward the most promising of their converts from heathenism to be trained as teachers.

While the Rev. Walter Lawry, the newly-appointed General Superintendent, was yet in Tendon, also the newly-appointed Governor of New Zealand (Admiral Fitzroy), the Missionary Committee procured an interview between them at the Mission House, to consider with the committee the interests of the Mission, and this subject in particular. The Governor at once signified his approval of the scheme, and promised his support on arrival in the colony. Accordingly, he quickly gave Crown grants for the Grafton Road property, and for the 192 acres now in occupation at Three Kings, but still belonging to the Mission. Money the Government had none to give, but the Missionary Committee supplied capitation money, £10 a head for twenty page 17 students for ten years, and the students could now cultivate their own food. In addition, the Missionary Committee appointed one of its Maori speaking ministers (the Rev. Thos. Buddle) to be the Theological Tutor, Principal, and Treasurer, and to help him a junior minister (the Rev. H. H. Lawry) to teach the students, attend to details, learn the Maori language, and prepare for Mission work.

When Sir George Grey arrived in New Zealand, he took great interest in the Institution, and visited it frequently. After many inspections, he was so pleased with the rapid advance made by the students that he proposed to extend educational advantages to the Maori youths. He prepared accordingly, and gave other lands and funds for its support, and in his deeds only is mention made of destitute children, etc. But the original Mission grants remain undisturbed.

During the early years of the Institution no less than ten ordained ministers were sent forth into the interior of New Zealand to minister among the Maoris, and proved faithful unto death. I cherish grateful memories of Hohepa Otone, Hone Eketone, Piripi Hana, Hori Te Kuri, Hamiora Ngaropi, Wiremu Patene, Te Koti Te Rato, Hone Waiti Hikitangi and his two. sons, Karawini Waiti and Matini L. Waiti. They were all worthy of their position in those generations, and their names an honour to the Institution which sent them to the work. Of ten others since ordained to similar work, only one failed to endure. The others worthily hold the fort, and justify the original effort to help the production of missionary workers.

Praying that the blessing of Almighty God may succeed your efforts to secure for the Mission use the property so long ago separated thereto,

—Very truly yours,

H. H. Lawry.

The Three Kings Institution.

Many of our readers are doubtless aware that for a number of years past a great outcry has been made by certain parties in Auckland and elsewhere against the manner in which the trusts of the Three Kings estate have been administered by the Board of Trustees, and that efforts have from time to time been made to dispossess the Wesleyan Church of this property on the ground page 18 that the conditions of the original Government grants have not been, complied with. The resolution of the late Conference to reestablish a native training institution, and to connect with it a department for the training of a few English candidates for the ministry, has had the effect of rousing to an unwonted degree the envy and indignation of a clique of pretended vindicators of the "claims and rights of destitute humanity," who, under the doughty championship of the editor of the Southern Cross, have not scrupled to vilify the characters of the trustees by charging them with violating "not only truth, and justice, and humanity, but law also," and have threatened them with prosecution in the Supreme Court and we know not what other fearful consequences. The particular species of cant which these gentlemen have employed to conceal their real motives is, of all others, the most odious and despicable; for, as was well remarked in one of the replies which the strictures of the Southern Cross called forth, "under cover of fervent zeal for destitute children," they "misrepresented facts, and scattered broadcast the severest charges against their neighbours." They found, however, a bold and uncompromising antagonist in Mr. Reid, and when, with premature and overmuch confidence, they congratulated themselves on having established the truth of their original position, Mr. Buddle appeared on the scene with a letter and memorandum from Sir George Grey, which showed how entirely the conduct of the trustees has harmonised, in so far as circumstances would permit, with the conditions laid down in the original documents. We purpose to summarise, as briefly as we can, the contents of Mr. Buddle's able letter and the memorandum accompanying it in order that our friends who have been misinformed by unscrupulous detractors may see that the trustees and the Conference which supported them have not been guilty of the dishonesty and inhumanity with which they have been charged.

The questions raised by the editor of the Southern Cross had respect to the nature and objects of the several trusts; to the manner in which they have been administered; and to the recent action of the Conference regarding them. The first grants of land were made by Governor Fitzroy, and were intended for the exclusive purpose of a native training institution. Nothing beyond this was contemplated at that time, the idea of a general educational establishment not having entered into the original plan. The properties thus granted consisted of 192 acres of land at Three Kings (on which school buildings were afterward erected), the allotments now held in Grafton Road, and an allotment in Parliament Street, designed as a site for a native church in connection with the institution. These properties were granted for the purposes of a native training institution, and for no other page 19 object. Buildings were accordingly erected at Grafton Road by means of voluntary contributions raised in Auckland, aided by grants from the Mission Fund. For a period of ten years the Wesleyan Missionary Society assisted in maintaining the operations of this institution by an annual grant of £200. It was opened by Governor Fitzroy, and was for several years conducted by Mr. Buddle, the average number of students being about 20. It will thus be seen that the training of native teachers and preachers for service in the Wesleyan Methodist Church is not only in harmony with the objects of these trusts, but is, in fact, the most legitimate method of fulfilling those objects.

The determination to erect a central school at Three Kings was subsequent to the completion of the above arrangements, and arose out of a proposal by Sir George Grey, who expressed his satisfaction at what had been accomplished, and his willingness to render further aid. The objects contemplated in the grants of money and land which were accordingly made, and the conditions upon which they were bestowed, are expressed in a letter and memorandum from Sir George Grey to the Rev. Walter Lawry, the General Superintendent of the Wesleyan Mission, hearing date May 13, 1853. The letter stated that "the Governor recommends to Her Majesty's Government that the sum of £1,600 per annum be placed at the disposal of the Wesleyan Church in New Zealand for educational purposes in the two Northern provinces, and £700 per annum for the Southern provinces, "and for the support of schools in connection with that Church which are already established, or may hereafter be established in these Islands." The memorandum provided as follows:—1. New Zealand shall be divided into convenient districts for educational purposes in connection with the Wesleyan Church. 2. All schools so established shall be conducted on the principle of religious education, industrial training, and instruction in the English language. 3. Schools may be of three kinds, viz., colleges, central schools, and primary schools; each educational district to lave at least one central school, to be made the means of multiplying primary schools. 4. The most promising scholars in primary schools to be eligible for transfer to central schools 5. The most promising scholars in central schools to be eligible for election as pupils in college of district in which situated, and "it is hoped that ultimately it may be found practicable to qualify native teachers for the ministry." 6. "Maori or half caste children, or the children of inhabitants of islands in the Pacific Ocean, as well as orphans or destitute children of European parents, are to be eligible for admission into any schools which may be supported from the Government grant, upon such conditions as may in the case of each school be determined by the page 20 Auckland District Meeting." 7. Grants of land to be made upon the usual trusts to the Superintendent of the Wesleyan Mission in New Zealand. 8. The annual grant made by Government to be applicable to the three following purposes, in such proportion as the Auckland District Meeting may determine:—(1) The support of existing schools, and the establishment of new schools (2) To provide means for educating, in the colleges or in the central schools, scholars to be trained as teachers, who, in addition to other duties, shall teach in the primary schools. (3) To provide sums for the payment in part of salaries of accredited teachers who shall have passed an examination before, and shall have received a certificate from the Auckland District Meeting, or such persons as they may appoint. 9. It is proposed that as soon as practicable, at least twenty teachers in primary school shall receive an annual allowance of £10. 10. The funds appropriated to the purposes of schools supported by Government grant shall be administered by the Auckland District Meeting. 11. Annual reports of the state of the schools, and of the mode in which the annual grants have been distributed, to be furnished to the Governor by the Auckland District Meeting.

Such were the terms upon which grants were made under the governorship of Sir George Grey. The Southern Cross charges the Wesleyan trustees with having "for years almost completely disregarded" those conditions, and "misapplied the funds for purposes entirely foreign to the objects of the trusts." The falseness of this accusation is shown by Mr. Buddle in his replies to the following inquiries:—"Have the three kinds of schools required been established?" Yes: the Three Kings institution partook of the nature of a college and a central school. Native teachers and ministers were trained there, and 150 boarders were under education at one time. A central school existed at Taranaki, and primary schools at Mokau, Kawhia, Aotea, Raglan, Waipa, Kaipara, and Hokianga. "Were the schools open to all the children specified in the memorandum?" Yes, so far as the funds would allow. Sometimes as many as 24 European children were educated at Three Kings with Maoris and half-castes. The Government grants were supplemented by grants from the Weslevan Missionary Society at the rate of £200 per annum for four years, and £500 per annum for six years. "Were the funds administered as required?" Yes: the different schools were expected to raise all they could on lands connected with them, and grants of money were distributed according to their respective claims. "Were annual reports and accounts furnished to the Government?" Yes: detailed accounts of receipts and expenditure were regularly furnished, and were published in Government papers. As to reports, the schools were regularly inspected by page 21 gentlemen appointed by the Government. Reports of a favourable nature were furnished by Mr. H. Carleton, Mr. H. Taylor, and others, but the Southern Cross had the dishonesty and want of candour to refer solely to the only depreciatory report sent in, against the unfairness of which Mr. Buller had protested. It would not be easy to tabulate the educational results. Teachers were trained who for years rendered good service in primary schools, and native ministers were prepared for successful labour among their countrymen. Many of these trained teachers are now dead, but some are still usefully employed in native districts, including five native ministers, some of whom rendered good service to the Government in the late troubles. The closing of the schools was rendered inevitable by the war—a war, we may add which missionary and educational influences long held in check; and which might, but for the rapacity and clamour of a section of the community which always opposed conciliatory measures, have been entirely prevented. During the period which has followed the closing of the schools, the proceeds of the various trusts have been applied in the only way practicable under the circumstances, viz., to the support of schools and general mission work in the Maori districts.

"Is the present action of the Wesleyan Conference in harmony with specified trusts?" The editor of the Southern Cross affirms that it is not, and characterises it as a "flagrant proceeding" In his simulated concern for "the claims and rights of destitute humanity," he argues "as though the trusts of the Three Kings estate were vested in the trustees for the exclusive benefit of destitute Europeans;" whereas the only object of a portion of the grants, and the most prominent one of the remainder, was, as has already been shown, the training of native teachers and ministers under the direction of the Auckland District Meeting. The Wesleyan Conference has not funds at command to embrace all the objects set forth in Sir George Grey's memorandum. If the Auckland District Meeting (which was legally empowered to determine the application of funds) has resolved, and the Wesleyan Conference of New Zealand has followed out the resolve, that inasmuch as all cannot be undertaken that was originally proposed, it shall select that object which it deems the most important—by what process of reasoning can it be shown that this amounts to a "malversation of trust?" Supposing the Wesleyan Conference were foolish enough to hand over the estate to the parties who have made all this ado about "destitute children," etc., in what better way would they carry out the "specified trusts?" Would they undertake to establish three classes of schools, to give religious instruction, industrial training, instruction in the English language, to receive children of page 22 inhabitants of the islands of the Pacific Ocean, etc. ? Nothing of the kind. They only propose to carry out one of the objects specified in the trust, and that a manifestly secondary one Plainly they are prepared after all to do what would, in fact, be much more like a "malversation of trust" than anything which they have been able to prove against, their opponents. The Southern Cross seems especially irate at the idea of one or two English students for the ministry being placed by the Conference under training at Three Kings; but the students to be so trained will derive no support from the funds of the institution, and the arrangement complained of was made in order that the two classes of students might be mutually helpful to each other. We have thus concluded our abstract of Mr. Buddle's letter, which we believe has effectually silenced all opponents whose position or character in any way entitles them to notice. The editor of the Southern Cross was evidently not prepared for such an array of facts as Mr. Buddle has produced, and he accordingly beat as hasty a retreat as possible from a contest in which he had fared so ill. Before doing so, however, he ventured to insinuate that the Wesley an trustees were probably about to secure the means of erecting buildings at Three Kings by the sale of property which was legally inalienable. It need hardly be said that our friend has here found a mare's nest, the property offered for sale being allotments in Auckland which the Wesleyan Conference holds by right of purchase. Nor was it to be supposed that this lusty knight-errant would allow so favourable an occasion to pass without sneering at the objects of mission work. We have neither space nor inclination to discuss this matter here, and will now conclude by assuring the editor of the Southern Cross how profoundly indifferent we are to his "own opinion" of the utility of training Maori preachers and of the quality of Maori Christianity. On questions of this nature men commonly express their, views with great freedom and confidence, when it would rather befit them to use a little occasional introspection, and thus see to what extent they are themselves in sympathy with the spirit of that Gospel which brings a message of peace to earth, and aims to establish goodwill among men.

J.W.W.

Christchurch,

"Wesleyan Native Institution" Property, Auckland.

Judge Cooper did not give an opinion as to the relative position of the Grafton Road and the 192 acres at Three Kings, and the Sir George Grey's Grants, given later on as Educational page 23 Endowments, on distinct and definite terms. If we can prove, and I contend that we can prove most conclusively, that the Grants of 1844 and 1845 were given by Governor Fitzroy to the Superintendent of Wesleyan Missions in trust for religious purposes, i.e., "Wesleyan Native Institution," for ever, then it places them on an entirely different footing to the Sir George Grey's Grants, given later on in 1850 and 1857, which were educational endowments for the children of our subjects of both races, and of children of other poor and destitute persons, being the inhabitants of the Islands in the Pacific Ocean, together with the rents, issues and proceeds thereof, to hold unto the said Superintendent of Wesleyan Missions and his successors in trust nevertheless, and for the use and support and maintenance of the said School as long as religious, educational and industrial training and instruction in the English language shall be given to youths educated therein, or maintained thereat.

R. Hobbs.

I think sufficient evidence has been produced to prove that the Fitzroy Grants were given to the Wesleyan Mission for the "general purposes" of a Wesleyan Native Institution, not open to any other denomination, or for any other purpose, and this for ever. The Native Institution was part and parcel of the work of the Wesleyan Church, and these lands would therefore be "Church Lands," and not educational endowments, as more particularly defined in Sir Geo. Grey's Grants when he proposed to "extend our operations."

Our District Meeting, from the earliest date, always acted on this assumption, and the two Royal Commissions which held sittings in Auckland in 1865 and 1879, after hearing Mr. Buddle's and Mr. Buller's evidence, never reported adversely, or that we were not carrying out the trusts of the Fitzroy Grants.

There can be no doubt that these Fitzroy Grants come under the provisions of the Wesleyan Methodist Church Property Act, which provides that they shall be held under the Model Deed, but shall remain subject to the trust of the C. grant, viz., for the general purposes of a Wesleyan Native Institution, i.e., our Maori Mission, and it remains for anyone who disputes this to test the question in the Supreme Court.

The Bruit Priming and Publishing Co.. Ltd.. Shortland St.. Auckland.