Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Pamphlet Collection of Sir Robert Stout: Volume 71



Residence of the selector on any land, not being land purchased for cash, is compulsory, and must commence in bush or swamp lands within four years, and in open or partly open lands within one year from the date of selection. Thereafter residence must be continuous—
(1.)On lands occupied with right of purchase: for six years on bush or swamp lands, and for seven years on open or partly open lands;
(2.)On lease-in-perpetuity lands: for ten years.

But these conditions of residence are dispensed with in the case of any person who has acquired an interest in a lease or license under a will or by intestacy.

Residence on contiguons Lands.—The Board may also dispense with residence if the lessee or licensee resides continuously on lands contiguous to the land held under lease or license.

Note.—Lands only separated by a stream or road, or by such interval as the Board may determine in each case, are deemed to be "contiguous" for the purposes of the Act.

Residence with Relatives.—In cases where the lessees or licensees arc youths or unmarried women, living within the land district, and residing with their parents or near relatives, resilience may be dispensed with for four years after the commencement of the term.

Infancy.—In case of the death of one or both parents of a child or children, residence may be dispensed with until one has arrived at the age of seventeen years.

Marriage.—When two persons, being licensees or lessees, intermarry, not sooner than twelve months after the issue of the last license or lease, they may reside on such one of the selections as they may think fit. When a lessee or page 16 licensee marries the owner or occupier of freehold land, not sooner than twelve months from the issue of the lease or license, they may reside on the freehold.

The Board has a general power to dispense with personal residence on any sufficient and satisfactory grounds being assigned for non-residence.