Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Pamphlet Collection of Sir Robert Stout: Volume 69


This match was resumed at half-past eleven a.m. to-day. The weather was all that could be desired for cricket, the sky being clear, while a slight southerly breeze pleasantly tempered the sun's rays. The wicket played far better than on the first day, and in consequence there was a good display of batting on both sides. For the home eleven Yates showed fine form, and appeared to master the Cornstalks' bowling, while Kissling played pretty cricket for his score of 39, not out. His hitting all round was very fair, and it he could only infuse more force into his strokes his play would be first-class. Fowke played steadily, and obtained his runs by sound cricket, while Stemson and Gardiner hit well and freely for their scores. In the New South Wales second innings Robinson gave a fine exhibition of batting, hitting everything very cleanly, and Youill again demonstrated that he is a sterling batsman. Joe Davis, the skipper, played a remarkably free innings, not-withstanding the fact that he was indisposed. His leg hitting was favourably commented on, and Auckland cricketers should profit by it. J. Cottam batted in taking style, while McClinchy and the genial Sid Callaway, although they did not obtain double figures, shaped nicely. In bowling Cowper and Newell were the most successful for the visitors, while McClinchy and Callaway were at times very difficult to play. J. Shepherd, although not so showy a wicket-keeper as Fowke, was very smart and safe. H. B. Lusk was by far the most successful with the ball for Auckland, and also made a fine right-handed catch off his own trundling, for which he was deservedly applauded. The Auckland first innings closed for a total of 113. The Cornstalks lost 7 wickets for 116, and then Davis declared the innings closed in hope of putting the local men out in the second innings for a small total, and thereby winning the match, however, in this he was unsuccessful, and at the call of time the Auckland men had lost 4 wickets for 70, having 6 wickets to fall, and being 102 behind the visitors. Had time per-mitted the game to be concluded, there is not the least doubt the match would have been very exciting.