Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Pamphlet Collection of Sir Robert Stout: Volume 69

Celebrities of the Occasion

Celebrities of the Occasion.

We give below portraits of those whose names were most intimately connected with the Jubilee celebrations in Auckland.

His Excellency the Governor.

Earl of Onslow

Auckland has already welcomed the Earl of Onslow when he landed here as Governor, and he was cordially received amongst us when he come for a more leisurely visit. Since he has been in the colony Lord Onslow has shown himself deeply interested in all that concerns it.

The Right Hon. Sir William Hillier Onslow, Bart., Knight of St. Michael and St. George, fourth Earl of Onslow, was born March 7, 1853, son of George Augustus [unclear: Cranlay] who was grandson of the Hon. Thomas Cranley, second son of Thomas Viscount Cranley, and Earl of Onslow. He is thus grand-nephew to his immediate predecessor,

Lady Onslow

Lady Onslow.

Arthur George, third Earl of Onslow, who died without surviving male issue in 1870. The earldom was created in 1801, but the barony of Onslow in 1716. The first baronet was Lord Mayor of London in 1649, and the baronetcy was conferred on him at the restoration of Charles II. Several of this family, in the page 41 18th century were distinguished in Parliamentary life, and Ministerial offices, and one was Speaker of the House of Commons from 1727 to 1761. The present Lord Onslow was educated at Eton, and at Christ Church, Oxford, succeeded to the Peerage in 1870, and was twice appointed a Lord-In-Waiting of the Queen's household. From February, 1887, till his appointment as Governor of New Zealand in 1888, he occupied the useful post of Under-Secretary of State for the Colonies in the Administration of Lord Salisbury. He married a daughter of the late Lord Gardner, and has three children, the eldest, Lord Cranley, being thirteen years of age.

Lord Carrington.

The Right Hon. Lord Carrington, G.C.M.G., Governor of the colony of New South Wales, is Charles Robert Carrington, third Baron Carrington, who was born in 1843, at High Wycombe, in the County of Buckinghamshire, England. He was educated at Eton and at Trinity College, Cambridge, taking the degree of B.A. in 1863. In 1865 he entered the Royal Horse Guards, became lieutenant in 1867 and captain in 1869. He is a captain in the Buckinghamshire Militia and the Deputy-Lieutenant and Magistrate for that County. He was in the House of Commons from 1865 to 1868, as member for High Wycombe, and succeeded to his father's peerage in 1868. The first peer of this family was Mr. Robert Smith, M.P., who was created Baron Carrington, of Upton, Notts, in 1797. His son, the second baron, in 1839 assumed the name of Carrington by Royal license, instead of Smith, and married a daughter of Lord Willoughby D'Eresby. By right of his maternal ancestor Lord Carrington holds the office of Joint Hereditary Lord Great Chamberlain to Her Majesty, and was aide-decamp to the Prince of Wales during his visit to India, and has been a captain in the corps of Gentlemen-at-Arms. He married in 1878 the Hon. Cecilia Margaret, eldest daughter of the fifth Baron Suffield, and succeeded Lord Loftus as Governor of New South Wales in 1885. He is wealthy, possessed of broad liberal views, and since his arrival in New South Wales has, by his unflagging energy and participation in every good cause, endeared himself to all.

Lord Carrington

Lord Charles Scott.

Rear-Admiral Lord Charles Douglas Scott, C.B., is a brother of the Duke of Buccleuch. He served as a midshipman on the St. Jean d'Acre in the Baltic and Black Seas in 1854-1856, and was rewarded with the Baltic, Crimea, and Turkish medals, and was afterwards in China and Hongkong, receiving the China medal and Fatsham clasp for his services in the Canton river and other places in 1857. In 1858 he was specially mentioned, and awarded the Indian medal for his services in Indian waters. He was appointed commander of the Rinaldo, and was second in command of the naval forces under Captain Heneage, which landed to

Lord Charles Scott

Lady Scott

Lady Scott.

protect British subjects and interests at Yangchow in 1868; and later in that year he was commander of the flotilla of boats which assisted Commodore O. J. Jones and the Naval Brigade to destroy some walled piratical villages on the Outing-Poi Creek, near Swatow. Lord Charles Scott was in command of H.M.s. Bacchante in 1881, when she page 42 visited Australia with the two sons of the Prince of Wales on board as midshipmen. He received the decoration of C.B. in 1882, and in the following year again visited Australia, when he married Miss Ada Mary Ryan, second daughter of Mr. Charles Ryan, of Melbourne and Mount Macedon (Victoria), by whom he has two sons. He has lately been attached to one of the Navy steam reserves in Britain and was created a Rear-Admiral in 1888.

Sir John Thurston.

Sir John Thurston, K.C.M.G.. F.R.G.S., F.L.S., Governor of Fiji, High Commissioner and Consul-General for the Western Pacific (whose portrait we give from a photograph by Farley, of San Francisco), was born in the year 1836, is a member of the old Gloucestershire family of that name descending from Richard

Sir John Thurston

Turstin, who, in the year 1389 was Lord of the ancient Manor of Cheveringuarde, near Thornbury, where the family still live. The earlier part of Sir John's life was spent at sea, chiefly in East Indian waters. Leaving India in consequence of severe illness, Sir John visited Australia, over which he travelled extensively. In 1866, Sir John Thurston was appointed by Lord Derby (then Lord Stanley) to act as Her Majesty's Consul for Fiji and Tonga, which post he occupied for about four years. Upon the earlier political difficulties in Fiji reaching a climax, and upon the resignation of the first Ministry formed under the native king and chiefs, the subject of our memoir was called to office by the united voices of the natives, settlers, and foreign consuls, and entered the Government as Chief Secretary and Minister for Foreign Relations. The following account of Sir John Thurston's subsequent career is taken from the Colonial Office Record of the public services of its officers:—"March, 1874, was appointed 'chosen and special adviser' of the native king and chiefs of Fiji, to confer with Her Majesty's commissioners as to the annexation of the islands to Great Britain; upon the offer of cession became Chief Secretary under the 'ad interim Government;" was again nominated as special adviser to the king and chiefs in September, 1874, for the purpose of conferring with His Excellency Sir Hercules Robinson as to the act of cession; Colonial Secretary and Auditor-General of the colony, October, 1874; and also secretary to the High Commissioner for the Western Pacific, September, 1879; administered the government of Fiji from the 16th November to 20th December, 1880; in 1880 and 1881 sent on special duty connected with treaty negotiations to the Friendly Islands; Deputy-Governor of Fiji, October 1882, during absence of the Governor on duty as High Commissioner for Western Pacific-administered the government November, 1883, to July, 1884; Assistant High Commissioner for the Western Pacific, November 1883; acted as Consul-General for the Western Pacific, April, 1884; to June, 1884; summoned to England in connection with the joint commission appointed to inquire into the claims

Lady Thurston

Lady Thurston.

of German subjects to lands in Fiji, March 21, 1885; British Commissioner on the Anglo-German Commission for the discussion of the interests of German and British subjects respectively in the South Seas, and for the more precise demarcation of British and German spheres of influence in those regions, August 3, 1885; again administered the government in 1885-1886; Lieutenant-Governor 1886; Governor of Fiji, High Commissioner of the Western Pacific, and Consul-General, 1887." In 1883 Sir John married Amelia, the youngest daughter of the late John Berry, Esq., of Albury, New South Wales, who, with her children, is now visiting Auckland for change of scene and climate. The portrait of Lady Thurston is from a photograph by Mr. Charles Hemus, photographer, of Auckland.

Mr. J. H. Upton, Mayor of Auckland.

In such a matter as this, an important part was taken by the chief magistrate of the city, Mr. J. H. Upton, who had but recently taken office.

page 43

Mr. J. H. Upton, our present Mayor, is an Englishman. He arrived in Auckland in 1866, and went into partnership with his brother as a bookseller and stationer. The business prospered, and it has now developed into a large and flourishing concern, known as "Upton and Co." For twenty years Mr. Upton has taken great interest in church matters. He has been a member of the Diocesan Synod for many years and a member of the General Synod when held in Christchurch, Auckland, and Dunedin. He is also a member of the General Trust Board and of the Melanesian Mission Trust Board. Among public positions which he has held are: Trustee of the Auckland Savings Bank for ten years, member of the Board of Education for the last six years (and chairman for two years), member of the Grammar School Board (elected by the members of the Upper and Lower Houses resident in the district), and member of the City Council four or five years ago. Mr. Upton can thus show as good a record in the public service as any gentleman in Auckland, and, as a fitting climax, he has recently been elected Mayor of Auckland.

J. H. Upton

Mr. Devore, President of the Jubilee Committee.

Mr. A. E. Devore, President of the Committee, has played the most active part in connection with the Jubilee celebration. The proposal to have a grand celebration of the Jubilee was conceived during his occupation of the Mayor's chair, and all through he has kept the object steadily in view, sparing no trouble or exertion to make it a success. His services to the Jubilee celebration will be gratefully remembered by the citizens of Auckland.

Albert Edward Tyrell Devore, our ex-Mayor, was elected without opposition to the Mayoralty of Auckland in 1886, and served for three terms in succession unopposed. Mr. Devore was born in Wiltshire in 1843, and was educated at Devizes, in the same county. He came out to Melbourne in 1859 while a lad of sixteen, and commenced the study of the law in the office of Mr. Fleetwood, solicitor. In 1862 he came to New Zealand, and having been seized with the "yellow fever" he worked as a digger for six months on one of the goldfields in Otago. Becoming tired of his occupation, he returned to the law, entering the office of Messrs. Howarth and Graham, solicitors, Dunedin. He continued there till 1866, when he, with Mr. W. L. Rees, went to Hokitika. Mr. Devore had the management of Messrs. Rees and Tyler's business for several years till they came to Auckland, and he accompanied them here. In 1871 he was admitted to practice, and went into partnership with Mr. J. B. Russell, which lasted eleven years.

In 1883 Mr. Devore entered into partnership with Mr. Theophilus Cooper, who had been a member of the firm of Russell, Devore, and Cooper, and the present firm of Devore and Cooper is the result. About this time he stood for Ponsonby Ward in the City Council, and was returned at the top of the poll. His election as Mayor came in due course, and he fulfilled the duties of his high office with efficiency and ability. At the close of his Mayoral career Mr. Devore determined to see the Jubilee celebrations through, and to that business he has latterly devoted the greater portion of his time and attention. Much of the success attending it is due to his prudence, foresight, and business capacity.

Mr. Devore

Rewi Maniapoto.

The most illustrious of our Maori visitors is Rewi Maniapoto, the famous leader of the Maoris at the fight at Orakau pa. Rewi is now a very old man, and we scarcely expected to see him with us in Auckland again, but the ancient warrior said he had heard that at this time there would be a number of rangatiras (or chiefs) assembled at Auckland to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of the beginning of the colony, and therefore he must come, if it were for the last time. Rewi was from the first one of the most fiery spirits in the warlike section of the King natives. It was he who led the party who page 44 routed Mr. Gorst, the magistrate, out of Te Awamutu. He attended the great meeting at Ngaruawahia when it was resolved to elect Te Wherowhero as king, and he hoisted the king flag on the pole. Rewi fought against us at all the great fights, finishing off with the defence of Orakau, and his famous saying when asked to surrender, "Ka whawhai tonu, ake, ake, ake!" ("We will fight on, for ever, for ever, for ever!"). But Rewi was always a fair fighter; no massacre was ever laid to his charge, and he would not carry out old Maori customs when these were inconsistent with humanity. During the siege of Orakau, a tohunga, or priest, proposed to tear out the heart of a dead soldier lying within the fence, so that they might not be deserted by their Maori gods. Rewi said: "I forbid you to mutilate the bodies of the dead. I care not for your Maori god.

Rewi Maniapoto

We are fighting in Christian times." The performance of the ancient rite by the priest might have inspired courage, but Rewi was no longer a heathen, but clung to the faith the Europeans had taught him, although he wanted to cast off their rule. But hunger and thirst did their work amongst the defenders of the pa. A scanty meal of potatoes was distributed to the survivors, but the men could not get the food over their throats, which were burning with thirst. Rewi's resolve was taken. He said: "We shall now have to leave the pa, but not as the Waikato left at Rangiriri (that is, as prisoners). We shall go from here as free men, or leave our bodies on the land." Hapurona, a Urewera chief, proposed that a white flag should be hoisted, and when the troops came close up to the pa, to fire a tremendous volley, and in the confusion to charge through them and escape. This proposal Rewi overruled. Then Major Mair called out to them a message from the General that at least the women and children should be sent out. Then Ahumai, sister of Hitiri, said: "If our husbands and our brothers are to die, of what profit is it to us that we should live? Lot us die with the men." Then came the reply to Major Mair from Rewi: "Ake, ake, ane." The rush out of the pa was made shortly after, during which so many fell. Rewi escaped, but hi warfare was accomplished. He has come to visit us on this our Jubilee, and in all probability we will never see him again.

Sir George Grey, K.C.B.

Sir George Grey, K.C.B., was born at Lisbon, Portugal, in 1812, three days after the death of his father, Colonel Grey, who fell bravely leading his regiment (the 30th) at Badajoz. Sir George was educated at Sandhurst College, and a successful course there gained him a captaincy in the 83rd Regiment before he was 24 years old. He soon after retired, and in 1839 he took a leading part in exploring the interior of what is now denominated western Australia, his expedition suffering great hardship In 1841 he was appointed Governor of South Australia, and held that post till 1845, when he was nominated Governor of New Zealand. He arrived in November, 1845, when the Northern War was dragging its slow length along, and within two months after his arrival Ruapekapeka pa was taken, Heke's power broken, and the war ended. Sir George returned Home in 1853, and was afterwards appointed Governor of Cape Colony. In 1861 he was again despatched to New Zealand to succeed Governor Gore Browne. His subsequent career as Premier of the Colony, a member of the General Assembly, ana as a colonial statesman is so familiar to all our readers that it is unnecessary to recapitulate it. Is it not written in the chronicles of New Zealand—Hansard? Sir George would have been present at the Jubilee festivities, but the state of his health rendered it necessary that he should have rest and quiet, and he went to the Waiwera Sanatorium to obtain it.

Sir George Grey