Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Pamphlet Collection of Sir Robert Stout: Volume 69

"Reading Berks, "September 6th, 1887

"Reading Berks,

"Dear Old Comrade,—If I cannot write you so interesting and agreeable a letter as yours of the 11th July, it is not from want of intention; but newspapers in these days deprive one of all that is interesting by way of public news, while life in this Old Country is reduced to a monotony that renders anything like description impossible. It is always a subject for rejoicing to find oneself remembered by old comrades, and to hear of their well-being in the distant land of their adoption. I sent your letter to Dublin, where Colonel and Mrs. Clarke now are. He is deputy-adjutant-general, with and under Prince Edward of Saxe Weimar. He begs me to say how pleased Mrs. Clarke and he are at your kind recollection of them. We see very little of them now that they are obliged to be in Ireland; but Colonel Clarke will become a major-general in another year or two, and will then have a spell unemployed. He is an excellent officer, and still devoted to his profession. That you are a grandfather makes one wonder at the rapid flight of time. You are to be envied on account of your good health and activity. What a pleasure and satisfaction it is to think that you and many other settlers from the dear old 'Die Hards' are enjoying life in comparative com- page 100 fort in so splendid a country as New Zealand. My son-in-law, Colonel Clarke, says he looks forward some day to revisit Taranaki. My time is past; but I never cease to pray for the continued happiness and prosperity of those we left behind in that splendid country. I am rather stronger and better in health, but cannot boast as you can that I am nearly what I used to be. My wife joins me in every good wish for the complete success of you and yours. I am very glad to hear that you were able while in Taranaki to do something to secure the restoration and repair of the soldiers' graves. It was an act of special grace, worthy of an old 'Die Hard.' Your description of the place is most interesting. I am surprised to hear that Colonel Stapp is still in the fore, and delighted to learn that my old friend Thomas Furlong is so prosperous.—Sincerely yours,

(Signed)

"H. J. Warre."