The Pamphlet Collection of Sir Robert Stout: Volume 48
Group—Engineering, Architecture, Charts, Maps, and Graphic Representations. — Class 314
Group—Engineering, Architecture, Charts, Maps, and Graphic Representations.
- Two views of Christchurch, with statistical information of Canterbury
- Model of Cape Farewell Lighthouse
- Specimens of Survey Drafting
- Plan and Soundings of Otago Harbour
- Plan of Wellington Harbour
- Model of Lyttleton Harbour
Breakwaters.—The Breakwaters are formed of nibble stone blasted from the Quarries at Naval and Officer's Points, and deposited on the respective sites as shewn in the model—the outer slopes of both Breakwaters are protected or faced with huge blocks of stone. The Officer's Point, or Eastern Breakwater, is some 2,010 feet in length, with a width of 40 feet on top, and having an elevation of 6 feet above high water spring tide. The Naval Point Breakwater is 1,400 feet in length. The former breakwater has also a timber breastwork built along its inner face for nearly its entire length—known as the Gladstone Pier.
Water Area Enclosed.—The area of water enclosed within the Breakwaters is about 110 acres.
Dredging.—Dredging operations have been proceeding almost uninterruptedly for the past three years, during which period 756,090 cubic yards, or 1,049,725 tons of dredged material, consisting of stiff clay and mud, have been removed, at an average cost of 6¼d. per cubic yard. The Dredging plant used has been a single ladder Dredge and two Steam Hopper Barges, the holding capacity of the latter being 250 tons each. The dredged material is removed by them to a distance of miles, and then deposited. The present depth of water inside the Breakwaters and at the Wharves varies from 16 feet up to 23 feet at low tide. The rise of tide being about 7 feet, vessels up to 2,700 tons can now be safely berthed at the wharves.
Moorings.—Eight sets of Mitchell's Patent Screw Moorings are laid down in the Inner Harbour, capable of holding vessels up to 2,000 tons.page 34
|Gladstone Pier||1,740 feet.|
|Timber Breastwork from Gladstone Pier westward to Naval Point||3,850 feet.|
|Jetties—Screw Pile Jetty||1,030 feet.|
|No. 1 Intermediate||800 feet.|
|No. 2 Intermediate||800 feet.|
|No. 3 Intermediate||800 feet.|
|Tunnel Mouth Jetty||440 feet.|
|Peacock Jetty||800 feet.|
|Making a Total of||10,260 feet, which|
|20||Ocean Ships and Steamers.|
|20||Barques and Brigs.|
This Berthage space is capable of very considerable extension, by the construction of additional Jetties.
Expenditure on Harbour Works in Lyttelton.—The total amount expended upon Harbour Works in Lyttelton up to the present date is £344,000, which sum includes the purchase of the Dredging Plant, and also of a powerful Steam Tug, built to the special order of the Lyttelton Harbour Board by Messrs. Laird, of Birkenhead.
Railway Lines on Wharves and Jetties.—The whole of the Wharves and Jetties in Lyttelton have lines of rails laid down upon them, and are worked by the Railway.
|Length on Floor||400 feet|
|Width on Floor||46 feet.|
|Width on Top||82 feet.|
|Width of Entrance||62 feet.|
|Depth on Sill at High Water||23 feet.|
|The value of Imports for year ending 30th June, 1879||£2,013,193 0 0|
|(Which includes large imports of Railway Material and American Harvesting Machinery)|
|The value of Exports (exclusive of interprovincial exports)||£1,695,194 0 0|
|Total Customs Revenue at Lyttelton (exclusive of interprovincial exports)||£228,011 0 0|
|Wool Exported from Lyttelton (exclusive of interprovincial exports)||53,011 Bales.|
|Grain Exported from Lyttelton (exclusive of interprovincial exports)||52,387 Tons.|
Wharfage and Port Dues, Receipts, 1878.—During the year 1878 the Wharfage and Harbour Dues in the Port of Lyttelton amounted to £29,113.
|No. of Vessels.||Tonnage.|
Panoramic Photograph of the Harbour of Lyttelton.—A Photographic view of the Harbour of Lyttelton accompanies the Model, and shews the works already married out by the Lyttelton Harbour Board.
General.—The Port of Lyttelton, which is situate on the north-western side of Banks' Peninsula, having an opening to the north-east, is the chief seaport town of the Provincial District of Canterbury. This district comprises some 8,693,000 acres, a large proportion of which is fine agricultural land, intersected by lines of railway, some 400 miles in length. The population of Canterbury, by census taken in the early part of the year 1878, was 91,922.page 35
The number of Sheep now depastured within the Canterbury District is 3½ millions.
Two years and a half ago the Lyttelton Harbour Board was constituted, and since that time all matters connected with the Harbour have been dealt with by the Board.
- Plan of Suspension Bridge over River Clutha
- Plans and Photographs of Nelson Creek Water Race
- Model of Breakwater