Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Pamphlet Collection of Sir Robert Stout: Volume 36

Fifteenth Annual Report of the Committee of Management of the Benevolent Institution, Dunedin [1877]

page break

Fifteenth Annual Report of the Committee of Management of the Benevolent Institution, Dunedin;

Dunedin: Printed at the "Daily Times" Office, Rattray Street,

page break

page break

Fifteenth Annual Report of the Committee of Management of the Otago Benevolent Institution

decorative feature

The fifteenth annual meeting of the subscribers was held in Farley's Building, on Thursday, March 7th, at 4 o'clock. Mr. A. Chetham Strode (President) occupied the chair.

The Secretary read the minutes of the previous meeting.

The President stated that he had just received a letter from the Rev. Dr. Stuart asking to be excused from attending, as he had another pressing engagement. He sincerely trusted the people would give the Benevolent Institution the support it deserved.

The President: Gentlemen—This is the fifteenth annual meeting of the Benevolent Institution, and the Committee elected last year render to-day an account of their steward ship. In the report which will be presented to you nothing very striking occurs. Immediately prior to last winter setting in, the Committee were under the impression that a severe tug on their funds was at hand, expecting a rather page 4 excessive number of applicants for out-door relief. In this we were most agreeably disappointed, finding from several favourable circumstances, particularly the mildness of the winter, the number of applications did not come up to what we supposed would be the case. It will be seen by the Medical Officer's Report we have had three deaths at the Institution during the year, and that the health of the inmates of the Institution, at Caversham, has been extremely good. We have tided over the scarlet fever epidemic, and altogether things are very satisfactory. I am happy to be able to state that matters connected with the Institution are in a thoroughly good and sound condition. With regard to funds, we have at one period of the year that is passed, been indeed in a dull condition, but I am happy to say we have made up lee-way, and can now show a balance—a small balance it is true, but one on the right side of the ledger—which is always satisfactory to begin a new year with. During the year we have had a correspondence with the Government about an increase to our Institution, the old men especially being packed much too closely. We asked the Government to provide us with £1,200 to increase the accommodation in various directions, but I am sorry to say we have had something like a refusal. Still I hope, from a conversation with Mr Macandrew, who has always been a good friend to the Institution, and always helped it in every possible way, that the sum will be got, or something like it. I told him we would take half if we could get it. There is another matter I should like to mention—the Charitable Institutions Bill. That, you are all aware, has been before Parliament during last session, but unfortunately, from various political causes, was shelved; and here we are another year without any proper constitution. I hope by this time next year that we shall have a proper constitution for this and other charitable institutions. I trust the House of Representatives will see their way to the passing of a Bill, so that we will be properly constituted. I do not know that I have any more to bring before you to-day, gentlemen, and I therefore call upon the Secretary to read the report.

page 5

Report.

In laying before the subscribers the Fifteenth Annual Report, the Committee have pleasure in stating that the demands ma.de on the Institution for out door relief for the past year have not increased to such an extent as was anticipated, the increase for the year being only £115 7s. The prevalence of scarlet fever being one of the principal causes of this increase, additional aid in such cases has been imperatively requisite. More than the average number of deaths of heads of families, ordinary cases of sickness, and accidents, have also tended to increase expenditure.

On the whole, it affords the Committee pleasure in being able to congratulate the subscribers that the resources of the Institution have not been more heavily taxed.

The Committee have much pleasure in stating that applications from men out of employment during the winter months were to a considerable extent reduced. This in a great measure is attributable to the mildness of the winter and the smaller number of immigrants arriving, and also to the improvement in the class of persons sent to the Province within the last two or three years.

The Committee have carried out their usual practice, when desirable, of assisting people in distress to reach their friends in distant parts of the Colony, and even beyond it. This system has been found to work well, as it relieves the Institution at once, and the persons relieved are thereby enabled to procure employment. The sum of £135 10s. 3d. was paid for this service and for burials, which sum is included in the charge for out-door relief.

The Committee are glad to state that, as far as their information extends, the desertion of wives by their husbands is slightly on the decrease, the number relieved during the year being 32, with 116 children, against 44, with 114 children, the previous year. Only 8 deserted wives, with 26 children, were on the books on the 31st December last.

One hundred and two families, comprising 34 male adults, 95 female adults, and 251 children, received fuel, clothing, page 6 boots, blankets, and bedding. Rent to the amount of £781 15s. 6d. has been paid during the year for recipients of relief.

The total amount expended on out-door relief for the year has been £2410 5s. 5d.; the total number relieved was 1305, composed of 101 male adults, 316 female adults, and 888 children. Of those relieved 80 were widows, with 266 children; 32 deserted wives, with 116 children; and 9 women, (with 29 children), whose husbands were in gaol.

Sixteen male and eleven female adults were received into the Institution at Caversham during the year, and 19 male and 11 female adults were discharged, the number remaining in the Institution on 31st December being 37 male, 9 female adults, 12 boys, and 16 girls.

Nine children were received into the Institution during the year, the cases admitted being of a very exceptional character, and the pressing circumstances of each case leaving the Committee no alternative but to receive them. Five boys and 5 girls were sent to service, and 3 boys were taken out by friends. The accounts from their present employers are on the whole favourable.

Attached to this report will be found one from the Medical Officer on the sanitary state of the Institution, which is very satisfactory. The thanks of the Committee are due to Dr. Hocken for his attention.

Miss Wilson, the schoolmistress, and Mr. McFie, the religious instructor, continue to give satisfaction in their different spheres.

The Committee desire to acknowledge the great assistance they receive from Mr. Quin, the Secretary, and to express their satisfaction with the manner in which he and Mrs. Quin, the Matron, fulfil their difficult duties.

The average cost per inmate for the year has been 7s. 10d. per week; corresponding cost for previous year, 8s. 9d. This sum includes furnishings, repairs to buildings, clothing, books, school requisites, rates, insurance, fuel, doctor's honorarium, schoolmistress and religious instructor's salaries, servants' wages, &c,

page 7

The subscriptions for the year amounted to £1990 4s. 1d., against £1334 5s. 7d. for previous year. The Committee have noticed with great satisfaction that in some of the up-country districts very laudable and successful efforts have been made in organising concerts and other entertainments, and devoting from the proceeds realized handsome donations to the Institution. They would fain hope that this good work will be attempted by other centres of population in this Provincial District, as it must be borne in mind that the Institution is one affording relief to the destitute, aged, and infirm, not only from Dunedin, but from the whole district without distinction.

The Committee desire to acknowledge the receipt of the following newspapers sent gratis to the Institution:—'Weekly Witness,' 'Evening Star,' 'Saturday Advertiser,' 'Morning Herald,' 'Bruce Herald,' 'Illustrated N. Z. Herald,' 'Church News,' 'Record,' 'Evangelist.'

Receipts and Expenditure.—Annexed will be found a statement of the receipts and expenditure for the year. The sum of £1500 received from the Government as subsidy on the sum raised by the Carnival Committee the previous year has been invested at the rate of 8 per cent.

The following gentlemen who retire from office are eligible for re-election, viz.:—A. Chetham Strode, President; Alexander Rennie and R. B. Martin, Vice-Presidents; Treasurer, vacant on resignation of Mr. John Hislop. Committeemen: Henry Wise, James Brown, James Fulton, Captain Thomson.

A. Chetham Strode

, President.
page 8

Medical Report

Dunedin, To the Committee of the Otago Benevolent Institution.

Gentlemen,—

I have to report that during the past year the health of the inmates of the Institution has been good. The few cases of sickness have been principally those pertaining to advanced age and broken-down constitutions.

There have been three deaths: Andrew Adams, aged 90, from old age; Thomas Fowler, 74, from apoplexy; and Patrick Murray, 48, from progressive paralysis of many years' standing.

The younger members have almost uniformly escaped sickness, and it is satisfactory to report that again we have escaped an outbreak of scarlet fever. As this epidemic has almost disappeared from Dunedin, it is reasonable to hope that we shall now entirely escape from its visitation.

I have again the pleasure of bearing testimony to Mr. and Mrs. Quin's untiring attention to the comfort of the inmates, and to the important matters of cleanliness and ventilation, whereby, no doubt, our freedom from disease is greatly due.

I have the honour to be, Gentlemen, Yours most obediently,

T. M. Hocken,

Medical Officer,
page break
Receipts. £ s. d. £ s. d. Disbursements. £ s. d. £ s. d. To Cash Balance, 1876 ... ... ... 317 1 4 By Cash paid Out-door Relief ... ... 2,410 5 5 " Government Subsidy ... ... ... 3,243 5 2 " Milk, Groceries Meat, &c. ... 635 14 5 " Yearly Subscriptions, Collections, &c. 1,990 4 1 " Furnishing and Repairs ... 23 1 0 " From other Sources—Rents, on Ac- " Advertising, Printing, &c. ... 27 13 6 count of Inmates Sale of Produce, " Religions Instructor ... ... 52 0 0 Stock, &c. ... ... ... 233 14 0 " Salary of Schoolmistress ... 50 0 0 " Interest received on Carnival Invest- " Salary of Medical Officer ... 50 0 0 ment for six months, to 20th October 60 0 0 5,527 3 3 " Salaries, Secretary, Matro Servants, &c. ... 398 0 0 " Office Rent and Stationery ... 54 19 0 " School Requisites ... ... 3 10 6 " Fencing, Building, &c.... ... 82 9 3 " Clothing and Repairs to same 135 19 2 Fuel ... ... ... " Medicine, Stock, Seeds, Rates ... 124 14 8 Insurance, Postage and Receipt Stamps ... ... 237 11 10 " Bank Interest and Exchange ... 9 12 6 4,295 11 3 " Carnival Investment ... ... ... ... 1,500 0 0 £5,795 11 3 Balance to 1878 ... ... ... ... ... ... 48 13 4 5,844 4 7 £5,844 4 7

Statement of Receipts and Disbursements of the Otago Benevolent Institution

For the Year ending 31st December, 1877.

Rich. Quin

, Secretary. Dunedin, 22nd February, 1878. Audited and found correct,

M. W. Hawkins

, Auditor.
page 10
Table I. Shewing the Number of Inmates, and the Diseases which incapacitate them from earning a living.
Male. Female. Total
Old age and infirmity 22 6 23
Blindness 4 1 5
Paralysis 3 3
Spinal Disease 2 2
Imbecility 1 1 2
Rheumatism (Chronic) 3 1 4
Rupture 1 1
Asthma 1 1
37 9 46
adults. children's ages. Male. Female. Children. ages of tub adults. 1 Year 2. Years 3 Years. 4. Years 5. Years 6 Years. 7 Years. 8 Years.; 9. Years 10. Years 11. Years 12. Years 13. Years total. 37 9 28 27, 27, 39, 41, 42, 44, 46, .51, 52, 56, 56, 56, 59, 60, 60, 62, 63, 63, 63, 64, 64, 65, 65, 65, 65, 66, 66, 67, 70, 70, 71, 71, 72 72, 72, 73, 74, 75, 75, 75, 76, 77, 77, 81, 82. 1 2 1 0 2 3 0 3 3 5 4 3 1 74 * 12 boys and 16 girls. One boy employed at Office.

Table II. Shewing the respective Ages of the Inmates of the Institution at Caver sham 31st December, 1877.

page 11
causes. adults. CHILDREN. TOTAL Church of England. Presbytreian Roman Cathlic Wesleyan Methodistes. Others. total. Male. Female. Boys. Girls. Placed at Service .. .. .. 5 5 10 4 6 .. .. .. 10 Taken out by Friends .. .. .. 3 .. 3 1 1 1 .. .. 3 Left Voluntarily .. 10 8 .. .. 18 6 10 2 .. .. 18 Sent to Friends in other places .. .. .. 1 .. .. 1 .. 1 .. .. .. 1 Sent to Hospital .. 3 1 .. .. 4 1 2 .. .. 1 4 Placed on Staff .. .. .. 1 .. .. .. 1 .. .. .. .. 1 1 Sent to Lunatic Asylum .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. Discharged .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. Expelled .. .. 2 1 .. .. 3 2 .. .. .. .. 3 Deaths .. .. .. 3 .. .. .. 3 1 2 .. .. .. 3 Total Discharged .. 19 11 8 5 43 15 23 3 .. 2 43

Table III. Shewing the Number of Persons Discharged from the Institution at Carer sham during 1877.

ADULTS. Children. Total. DENOMINATION. Total Corresponding Total, 1876. Corresponding Total, 1875. Corresponding Total, 1874. Corresponding Total, 1873. Male. Female. Church of England. Presbyterian. Roman Catholics. Wesleyan Methodists. Others. Total Inmates 31st December, 1876 .. .. 40 9 32 81 31 44 2 .. 4 81 78 76 76 77 Admitted during 1877 .. 16 11 9 36 13 18 4 .. 1 36 76 54 30 31 Total .. .. 56 20 41 117 44 62 6 .. 5 117 154 130 106 108 Discharged .. 19 11 13 43 15 23 3 .. 2 43 73 52 30 32 Total Inmates 31st December, 1877 . 37 9 28 74 29 39 3 .. 3 74 81 78 76 76

Table IV. Shewing the Number of Persons Admitted to and Discharged from the Institution during the Year, and the Number of Inmates on December 31st, 1877.

page 12
ADULTS. Children. Total DENOMINATIONS. Total. Corresponding Total, 1876. Corresponding Total, 1875. Corresponding Total, 1874. Corresponding Total, 1873. Church of England. Presbyterian Roman Catholic. Wesleyans. Others. Males Females Relieved, 1877 .. 101 316 888 1305 519 559 205 9 113 1305 1576 1211 810 680 Discharged .. 81 239 662 982 394 425 168 5 90 982 1152 806 442 415 On the Books, 31st December, 1877 20 77 226 323 125 134 37 4 23 323 424 405 368 265

Table V. Shewing the Total Number of Persons relieved Outdoor and Discharged during 1877, and the Number on the Books, December 31st 1877.

The Rev. Mr. Byng, in a few words, moved the adoption of the report. He expressed regret at seeing so few persons present at a meeting of that nature, which was so very benevolent in its movement, and so essentially Christian in in character. He hoped that year by year, as the effects of the Institution were seen, the meetings would be much larger.

The Rev. Dr. Copland: I have seen this report, and have read it with a good deal of interest, and it affords me very much pleasure to have this opportunity of expressing the high appreciation I have of the valuable services which this Institution renders—to the poor especially, and to the community at large. It ministers to the wants of the poor in a very complete manner, providing for the necessities both in regard to the body and likewise in regard to the higher things which come under its immediate care. Moreover, it opens its doors wide to receive all, without distinction as to nationality or creed, and in the highest way, I think, is deserving of the thanks of the community for carrying out its special work with so much care and efficiency. I am glad to observe from the report that the amount of collections and subscriptions during this year has increased over that of last year by about £600, and I trust this state of matters will continue; for looking at the appearance of the community and continually-increasing population, there is of page 13 course to be expected an equal strain upon the funds of the Institution during the present year to that of the past, and probably a still greater strain. When we remember, from what was given in the Report at the beginning of last year, that there was a large balance on hand, which is now reduced at the beginning of this year to very much less, it is quite evident, unless a larger amount of subscriptions and collections be received during this year than the last, the present demands upon the Institution cannot be adequately met. I trust, however, there will be no danger in shortcomings; in fact, I have every confidence in the liberality of the community at large when matters are fully and fairly brought before them. It is gratifying to me to observe what is reported here, the decrease during the past year of a class of cases which must always be viewed with a good deal of anxiety and sorrow when they prevail in a community—namely, cases of wife desertion. There is a smaller number of these brought before the notice of the Institution than during the past year. At the same time, I observe that the number of children which through these cases have been thrown upon the charity of the public, is no less than during the former year. Now, I do trust the Institution will use all the powers which are at its command to bring those to account who throw such a burden upon the charity of the public. I think it is a duty which is due to society, and, at the same time, still more pressingly to the families that are thus left in a helpless condition. I think that in doing this the Directors, if they have power to overtake the delinquents, will read a useful lesson which will act as a deterrent, and prevent what we believe will naturally be increased if no check is placed on this practice. I think this, however, only in relation to the action of this Institution. I do not look to the preventive or deterrent measures which the law-can supply, as sufficient check upon this practice. For that, I consider, we must look to moral, religious, and prudential restraint acting upon people generally. Still, I think, so far as the law can prevent it, it should be made use of: and while the utmost care is exercised in bestowing relief, which is absolutely necessary for all existing cases in whatever way these arise, it is well to take whatever means are within the page 14 power of the Directors to keep that down to the minimum. Of course, when a case is placed before the Institution, calling for assistance, from whatever cause arising, it must be for the time met. And this is the point which I think ought to be very strongly pressed upon the attention of the public. Unless this be done—and it can only be done by the public supplying the necessary funds to the Directors—that distress will seek relief in other ways. It will seek relief by begging from door to door, and I think it is a very serious evil to the community, tending so readily as it does to foster not mere poverty, but rogues and swindlers of the worst kind. Besides, it should be borne in mind by the public, if this Institution is not able to dispense the necessary relief, there is no other result which can follow, except either that of the begging which I have referred to; or, on the other hand, compulsory relief by the operation of a Poor Act. I think it would be hard to say which of those two evils would be the worst in this community. I rather fear, if the present system of supplying the necessities of the poor by voluntary agency were discontinued, we should probably have to endure begging in various ways, and at the same time the introduction of a Poor Law. I trust the Province will liberally respond, so that this Institution may accomplish, as it has hitherto done, all the necessitous work which is brought to its door. While it saves the community the evils of imposture, and from many of the evils attending a Poor Law, it is, at the same time, acting as a grand practical moral instructor to the community at large, by fostering brotherly kindness and charity. I sincerely trust it will, in future, be at least quite as successful, in proportion to the work laid upon it, as it has been in its past history. I have great pleasure in seconding the adoption of the Report.

The President stated, in reference to wife-desertion, that the husband generally left the Colony, when it was impossible to set the law in motion. The law only affected this Colony. The Directors had frequently urged the Legislature to do something in the matter, but as yet nothing had been done.

The Report was unanimously adopted.

On the motion of Mr. Mollison, the following were elected page 15 office-bearers;—President, Mr. A. C. Strode, Vice-Presidents, Messrs. R. B. Martin and Rennie; Treasurer, Mr. James Brown; Committee, Messrs. James Fulton, James Brown, H. Wise, John Hislop, R. A. Low, T. M. Wilkinson, A. H. Ross, and Captain Thomson.

Mr. Hawkins moved a vote of thanks to the retiring officebearers.

Mr. A. Rennie returned thanks. He referred to the unpleasant task the Directors sometimes had in dealing with rags and tears, and he hoped the public would support the Institution more handsomely than they had done.

A vote of thanks to the Chairman terminated the proceedings.

page break

Rules of the Benevolent Institution, Dundin.

decorative feature

Objects:

To Relieve the Aged, Infirm, Disabled, and Destitute of All Creeds and Nations, Afford Them Medical Relief, and to Minister to Them the Comforts of Religion.

Rules and Regulations.

Qualification Life Governors

1. Every donor of £20 or upwards shall be a Life Governor; and every person who may have raised, or shall raise, by one or more collections in one year, the sum of twenty pounds (£20) or upwards, from persons not claiming membership on account of their contributions towards such sum; and every executor first named in any Will, proving the same, and paying to the Institution a bequest of fifty pounds (£50) or upwards, shall have all the rights and privileges of a Life Governor.

Qualification of Members.

2. Every Subscriber of one guinea or upwards shall be an annual Member, and shall have the privilege of recommending cases of distress for relief, and of voting at the election of office-bearers, provided that he shall not be entitled to vote until three months after the payment of his first Annual Subscription. The Annual Subscription shall be due and payable on the 1st day of January in each year.
page 17
3. There shall be, in the month of January in

Annual General Meeting in the month of January.

every year, a General Meeting of the Life Governors and Members of the Institution, to be held at such place as the General Committee shall appoint (of which meeting fourteen days' previous notice shall be given in two or more of the Dunedin newspapers), to receive the Report and Accounts of the Committee of Management; to elect the Committee and other Office-bearers; and to transact the general business of the Institution.
4. The Office-bearers of the Institution shall

Office-bearers to be elected annually.

consist of:—a President, Vice-President, Honorary Treasurer, and a General Committee of any number not exceeding eight members (exclusive of ex officio Members), to be elected at the Annual General Meeting, by and from among the Life Governors and Members.
5. The President, Vice-President, Treasurer,

Ex-officio Members of Committee.

Honorary Medical Officers, and the resident principal Minister of each congregation contributing a collection to the Funds of the Institution (being qualified as Governors) shall be ex officio Members of Committee; but no ex officio Members, except Honorary Office-bearers, shall vote on the removal or appointment of any paid servant of the Institution.
6. The General Committee shall meet once in

Committee Meetings, when to be held.

the week, and at such other times as they may appoint, to receive the report of the various officers, and discuss the general business of the Institution; three to form a quorum. A Committee Meeting shall be held the first Monday in every February and August, to enter into contracts for the supply of provisions and other necessaries: five to form a quorum.
7. The President, Vice-President, or Treasurer,

Who to preside at Committee Meetings.

shall preside at all meetings of Committee; and in their absence, the majority present shall appoint their own Chairman, who shall have an additional or casting vote.
page 18

Committee to frame Bye-laws and Regulations.

8. The Committee shall frame such Bye-laws and Regulations as they may deem necessary, the same not being at variance with the general laws of the Institution.

Special General Meeting of Subscribers, how to be convened.

9. The Committee of Management may convene a special general meeting of subscribers at any time, upon giving notice at least fourteen days previously, in two or more of the Dunedin newspapers, which notice shall be repeated three times. Any thirty Life Governors or Subscribers may request the Committee to call a special meeting at any time; and should they, after receiving such requisition so signed, refuse or neglect to call such meeting within fourteen days, it shall be in the power of the said requisitionists to convene such a meeting, upon giving notice as directed above.

Bye-laws to be repealed only at special meetings.

10. No bye-law or regulation shall be altered or repealed except at a special meeting of Committee; such meeting to consist of not less than five members.

How appointments are to be made by the Committee.

11. That in electing to any appointment by the Committee, when there are more applicants than are required, the voting shall take place by voting cards; and in all cases the salary shall be determined before proceeding to election.

Honorary Medical Officers and their qualifications.

12. There shall be two or more Medical Officers, not to exceed four, whose appointment shall be honorary; and no one shall be eligible for the office of Medical Officer who is not certificated by the Medical Board of Otago.

Appointment of Honorary Medical Officers and filling up of vacancies.

13. The Honorary Medical Officers shall be chosen by the Committee, and shall be amenable to the rules made by them. If any vacancy occurs by death, removal, or retirement, such vacancy shall be filled up at a special meeting of Committee, to be convened for that purpose.

How Medical Officers shall report.

14. That the Honorary Medical Officers shall report on the state of the inmates at the weekly meeting of Committee.
page 19
15. That no application be received unless

Conditions of admission to Institution.

signed by a Subscriber; and no person shall be admitted until the expiration of one week from the date of applying, to allow time for inquiry, except in special cases.
16. Tenders for all supplies shall be invited

Tenders to be called for supplies.

for a period of not less than 6 months, the amount of such tenders to be duly recorded in the Minute-book. No Member of Committee to supply any article for the use of the Institution, for which he may receive pecuniary or other compensation.
17. The House Visiting Committee, consisting

House Visiting Committee, how to be appointed.

of three Members, shall be appointed by and from the General Committee, at the monthly meetings in February, May, August, and November in each year, to act in rotation. Members retiring to be eligible for re-appointment.
18. It shall be their duty to visit the Institution

Duties of Visiting Committee.

at least once a week, to make a general inspection, and to record the result in the Minute-book, to be kept in the Institution; such book to be produced at the weekly meeting of the Committee.
19. The Superintendent, or other officer appointed

Management of Institution.

by the Committee, shall have the management of the Institution, subject to the regulations and orders of the Committee.
20. The inmates of the Institution will be

Religious instruction.

allowed religious instruction from the ministers of the denomination to which they belong, at such times as the Committee shall appoint.
page 20

Life Governors.

• Parr, John A.
  • Bateman, G. C.
  • Bell, Sir F. D.
  • Burton A. H.
  • Bushel, F.
  • Byng, Rev. C. J.
  • Cable, H.
  • Campbell, Robt. J.
  • Chapman, obert
  • Clark, Rev. C.
  • Clarke, Joseph
  • Clarke, Wm. J., Sunbury, Victoria
  • Connebee, Rev. R.
  • Coote, Charles
  • Cutten, C. W.
  • Davidson, James
  • Davis, Rev. J. U.
  • Dench, H.
  • Dodson, George
  • Dodson, Thos.
  • Douglas, George
  • Douglas, W. S.
  • Dowse, George
  • Driver, Henry
  • Edinburgh, H.R.H. Duke of
  • Edmond, John
  • Edwards, Rev. E. G.
  • Fargie, John
  • Farj eon, B. L.
  • Farley, Henry
  • Farrer, W. E.
  • Fish, H. S., jun.
  • Forsyth, Robert
  • Fulton, Francis
  • Fulton, James
  • Geddes, W G.
  • Gourley, Hugh
  • Gow, Rev. Jno.
  • Guthrie, W.
  • Hardy, H. F.
  • Harris, Woolf
  • Hazlett, James
  • Henry, J. G.
  • Hislop, John, jeweller
  • Holmes, James S.
  • Holmes. Hon. Matthew
  • Hudson, R.
  • Hume, Marcus
  • Inglis, A.
  • James, S.
  • Kennedy, William
  • Kirkcaldy, W. C.
  • Lane, Wm.
  • Larnach, W. J. M.
  • Laurenson, Fleming
  • Little, Samuel H.
  • Lyster, W.
  • Mackie, Rev. L.
  • Macandrew, James
  • Maitland, J. P.
  • Mansford, T. A.
  • Marshall, James
  • Martin, R. B.
  • Melhuish, William
  • Meenan, F.
  • Mercer, Andrew
  • Moore, Caleb
  • Moreau, Rev. D.
  • Murphy, M.
  • Murray, R. K.
  • M'Callum, Capt.
  • M'Gregor, Alex.
  • M'Caughan, P. K.
  • McLean, Hugh J.
  • M Dougal, Wm.
  • M'Lean, John
  • M'Lean, John M.
  • McNeil, John (Briscoe's)
  • Neill, P. C.
  • Parsons, Rev. J. L.
  • Rainsey, Keith
  • Reany, J.
  • Reeves, Charles S.
  • Rennie, A.
  • Roberts, John
  • Robin, James
  • Russell, Geo. G.
  • Scoular, J.
  • Shrimski, Samuel E.
  • Smith, S. G.
  • Srow, William
  • Stephenson, John
  • Stratford, H. A.page 21
  • Street, C. H.
  • Strode, A. C.
  • Stuart, Rev. D. M.
  • Stuart, Alex., M.D.
  • Sutherland, Rev. G.
  • Taggart, W. H.
  • Talbot, H.
  • Telford, William
  • Templeton, Thomas
  • Thomson, C.
  • Thomson, Captain
  • Thomson, R.
  • Trotter, Win. S.
  • Turnbull, George
  • Valentine, Arch.
  • Vogel, Sir Julius
  • Wain, Job, jun.
  • Wallace, James
  • Walter, Henry J.
  • Watson, J.
  • Webster, Dr.
  • West, George
  • Young, Joseph

Ladies Who are Entitled to the Rights and Privileges of Life Governors.

• Mrs. Barton
  • Miss Buchanan
  • Mrs. E. B. Cargill
  • Mrs. Caldecutt
  • Mrs. Caldwell
  • Mrs. C. Cook
  • Miss Copeland
  • Mrs. Daniels
  • Mrs. S. Dewes
  • Mrs. J ick
  • Mrs. Edwards
  • Mrs. Fisher
  • Mrs. Graham
  • Mrs. H arris
  • Mrs. Harvey
  • Mrs. Holmes
  • Mrs. A. Inglis
  • Mrs. T. Inglis
  • Miss Lahman
  • Mrs. Lambert
  • Mrs. Lawson
  • Mrs. Mason
  • Mrs. Melhuish
  • Miss Meredith
  • Mrs. Muir
  • Mrs. Nathan
  • Mrs. Rattray
  • Mrs. Skinner
  • Mrs. J. Smith
  • Mrs. Tolmie
  • Lady Vogel
  • Mrs. Winter
page break

Otago Benevolent Institution.

decorative feature
List of Subscriptions, Donations, and Collections, For The Year, 1877.
£ s. d.
Adair, P. 0 10 6
Aikman, J. 1 1 0
Alexander & Shepherd 1 1 0
Aldrich, G. M. 1 1 0
Anderson, James 1 0 0
Anderson, J., Balmoral, Inch Clutha 3 0 0
Anonymous 0 10 0
Anonymous 0 6 0
Anonymous, Balclutha 0 10 0
A Friend, per J. Fulton 1 0 0
A Friend 0 5 0