The Pamphlet Collection of Sir Robert Stout: Volume 27
The New Zealand Native Land Settlement Company Limited — Memorandum of Association of the East Coast Native Land and Settlement Company (Limited).*
The New Zealand Native Land Settlement Company Limited
Memorandum of Association of the East Coast Native Land and Settlement Company (Limited).*
1. The name of the Company is "The East Coast Native Land and Settlement Company (Limited)."*
2. The Registered Office of the Company will be situated in the North Island of New Zealand at Gisborne in the Provincial District of Auckland.
|(A)||The acquisition of Native Land on the East Coast of the North Island of New Zealand by the voluntary association of Owners of Native Land who shall contribute Land with Europeans who shall contribute Funds for the purpose of effecting the settlement of the page 4 land by farmer settlers and others in areas of such extent as and in other respects upon terms as nearly as may be similar to those provided by the Acts and Regulations relating to the Sale and disposal of the Crown Lands in the Colony of New Zealand or upon such other special terms and conditions as Native Owners in assigning Land to the Company may stipulate.|
|(B)||To aid and promote Immigration into the Company's Estates and for the purpose aforesaid to grant and lend any sum of money.|
|(C)||To make or to contribute towards the cost of making or constructing Public Works such as Roads Bridges Wharves and the like which may be necessary or useful in opening up and developing the Company's Property.|
|(D)||To guarantee the performance of any contract or obligation.|
|(E)||To borrow or raise money by the issue of or upon Bonds Debentures Bills of Exchange or other obligations or securities of the Company or by Mortgage or charge of all or any part of the property of the Company or of its uncalled Capital or in such other manner as the Company may think fit.|
|(F)||To lend money on the security of real Property in New Zealand.|
|(G)||To Sell Improve Manage Develop Lease Mortgage Dispose of or otherwise deal with all or any part of the property of the Company in such manner and upon such terms as the Company may find most advantageous and suitable.page 5|
|(H)||To do all such other things as are incidental or conducive to the attainment of the above objects.|
4. The liability of the Shareholders is limited.
5. The capital of the Company is Five Hundred Thousand pounds (£500,000) divided into One Hundred Thousand (100,000) Shares of Five Pounds (£5) each with power to accept Land from Aboriginal Owners thereof at prices agreed on or to be agreed on and to issue paid-up Shares to such owners to the extent of the agreed on price of the Land which they may convey to the Company and with power to increase or to reduce Capital by special resolution.
We the several persons whose names and addresses are subscribed are desirous of being formed into a Company in pursuance of this Memorandum of Association And we respectively agree to take the number of Shares in the Capital of the Company set opposite our respective names.
- William Lee Rees of Gisborne Solicitor Ten Shares
- J. B. Poynter Poverty Bay Farmer Ten Shares
- W. H. Tucker Poverty Bay Articled Clerk Ten Shares
- Henare Potae Rangatira Oteawa Twenty Shares
- Wi Pere Rangatira Oturanga Twenty Shares
- J. A. Jury Rangatira o Wairarapa Ten Shares
- T. W. Porter Gisborne Ten Shares
- Major Ropata Waiapu (by Agent T. W. Porter) Ten Shares