Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Pamphlet Collection of Sir Robert Stout: Volume 21

"27, Avenue de l'Impératrice, Paris, July 9, 1874

"27, Avenue de l'Impératrice, Paris,

"Monsieur le Président,—Pressing business prevents me from joining the Cobden Club at their annual dinner, although it would give me great pleasure to meet a number of friends with whom I have common feelings, not only in deep regret for the premature loss of our much lamented friend, Richard Cobden, but also in the hope that the principles of Free Trade must make indefinite progress, and counterbalance, at least to a certain extent, the deplorable tendency to war.

"Allow me, Mr. President, to add that among the various page 15 affairs which at present detain me in Paris there is one which I hope, if it succeed, will not fail to be welcomed by all enlightened Englishmen, and all Free Traders of both countries—I might say of Europe. I speak of the submarine tunnel between Calais and Dover.

"This plan, which ten years ago appeared visionary, is being approved more and more every day by practical men and by great financiers in France, and the probability is that, if our feelings be reciprocated in England, it will soon pass from a fiction into a reality.—Believe me, Mr. President, with renewed regrets, faithfully yours,

"Michel Chevalier.

"The Right Hon. W. E. Baxter, M.P."

page 34