The Pamphlet Collection of Sir Robert Stout: Volume 7
Section V.—Powers and Duties of the General Committee
Section V.—Powers and Duties of the General Committee.
24. The Committee shall have the custody, care, and superintendence of the property of the Association, the appointment and dismissal of all salaried officers, and the general management of the affairs of the Association.
25. The Committee shall have the power of expelling any member for misconduct, but no resolution for this purpose shall be passed except at a committee meeting specially called by notice stating the object of the meeting.
26. The Committee may appoint sub-committees of their number for particular purposes.
27. The Committee shall be empowered to sell or exchange duplicate copies of any works which they may consider un-necessary to be retained in the library or reading-room, the proceeds, if any, to be paid over to the funds of the Association.
28. The Committee shall have the power of passing bye-laws for the management of the reading-room and library, and altering and varying the same when necessary, provided that notice of such bye-laws shall be posted in the reading-room and library, one week prior to their taking effect.
29. The Committee shall have power to make bye-laws call special meetings of members (without requisition), and in general do whatsoever is not required by these rules to be done at a general or special meeting, that they may think calculated to promote the interests of the Association. All bye-laws made by the Committee shall be submitted to the first annual or special meeting after the making thereof for approval, excepting such as are provided for in the 27th rule.
30. The Committee shall lay before the annual general meeting in May a full and particular report of the proceedings of the Association during the past year, and of its existing state and prospects; and such report, together with a balance-sheet, duly audited, showing the receipts and expenditure for the year, with such other information as the Committee may deem desirable, shall be printed, and a copy thereof furnished on page 7 application to each of the members, free of charge. Provided always that such balance-sheet shall be printed at least ten days previous to such annual general meeting.