Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

History and traditions of the Maoris of the West Coast, North Island of New Zealand, prior to 1840

Notes to Table No 32

Notes to Table No 32.

A.—See the story of Ngarue, infra. He owned the tuahu called Rohutu, at Waitara.
B.—Rakei-ora (Ka tangi te pu = The trumpet sounded). He was the first son, his seniors being daughters; hence the trumpet.
C.The ancestor of Te Whetu and Te Rangi-kapu-oho, who was the father of Ropata Ngarongo-mate, or, as he was better known to Europeans, Bob Erangi, page 104 a well known and influencial chief in the sixties, and brother to Mrs. Wellington Carrington.*
D.Moeahu: from him Ngati-Moeahu hapu of Taranaki take their name.
E.Moeahu and Tai-hawea were twins (mahanga); hence Ngati-Mahanga hapu.
It will be noticed that the ancestors of Te Mounga-roa are all named Tamatea. It is probable that these are connected with the family of that name, which migrated with Tangiia from the west coast of Tahiti, and settled in Rarotonga, circa 1250, and which family (descended from one Iri-ngoro) has borne the name of Tamatea down to the present day in Rarotonga. I do not recognise Te Mounga-roa's particular ancestors on the Rarotonga line; but they may be either a younger or an elder branch. It is said that the name Tamatea (first of the name) was given to Iri-ngoro's son because his skin became quite fair through an illness—the translation of the name being 'fairson.' At the great Rotorua Meeting in June, 1901, where Maoris from all parts gathered to honour H.R.H. The Prince of Wales, were a few Rarotongan chiefs. My friend Major Tu-nui-a-rangi tells me that a discussion took place between the Rarotongans—amongst whom was Pa-ariki, or Maretu—and the learned men of Ngati-Kahu-ngunu there present, and that they satisfied themselves (at all events) that the Tamatea, who came to New Zealand as captain of the "Taki-tumu" page break
Taranaki Tribe.Table No XXXII.

Taranaki Tribe.
Table No XXXII.

page break
Taranaki Tribe.Table No. XXXIII.

Taranaki Tribe.
Table No. XXXIII.

page break
Photo by R. W. S. BallantynePlate No. 5.Stones marking the length of the "Tainui" canoe at Kawhia.

Photo by R. W. S. Ballantyne
Plate No. 5.
Stones marking the length of the "Tainui" canoe at Kawhia.

page 105canoe with the fleet, was a member of this same family. This may, or may not be the case, for this Tamatea is one of those about whom there is a good deal of doubt.

It will be noted that the genealogical line quoted in Table No. 32, ante, is about five generations short of the mean number, which is 22.

The following line (Table No. 33) is also from one of the crew of "Kura-haupo," and like that in Table No. 32 is shorter than usual—twenty generations instead of twenty-two, and possibly there is one generation omitted at the eighth back from the present day.

Tahu-rangi, a descendant of Te Hatauira, was the first man to ascend Mount Egmont, and when he got there he lit a fire on top (presumably he took up the firewood with him) to show to all the world that he had taken possession of the mountain. Whenever the whisps of smoke-like cloud are seen clinging to the summit of the mountain, as they often do, this is said to be the "fire of Tahu-rangi" Te Ahi a Tahu-rangi. Probably there is foundation for this story, and that the ascent occurred soon after the arrival of "Kura-haupo," in order to claim the mountain as against Te Ati-Awa tribe. But in modern times the Maoris have always shown a strong disinclination to make the ascent—as it was a breaking of the tapu to do so.

* An interesting and amusing anecdote used to be told by the Maoris in the fifties of last century, relating to the marriage feast of Mr. and Mrs. Wellington Carrington, which the Maoris used to enjoy and tell with great gusto. First, I may say, that Te Rangi-kapu-oho, the father of the lady, was a fierce old warrior, very fully tattooed, who, from 1850 to 1858, lived most of his time as a squatter on the east side of Okoare pa, near what is now called Westown, where he was a constant source of annoyance to the owner of the property. The probability is that the old man—who was generally known as Erangi—had not been paid sufficiently by the Government for his share in the land, according to the old fellow's idea of his claim; and eventually Mr. (afterwards Sir Donald) McLean had to buy him out, after which he gave no further trouble, and retired to Tapuae, where the marriage feast took place. In those days, all Maoris were very partial to a dish called "Lillipee," which was a compound of flour, sugar and hot water. At the marriage feast, a large quantity of this delectable compound was made for the Maori guests, but there was no utensil large enough to hold it. The Maoris, however, were equal to the occasion. They cleaned out a good sized fishing canoe and poured the lillipee into it. Then all stood round, each armed with a large mussel shell, and proceeded to enjoy the good cheer. Whilst this was going on, a small child, in its eagerness to help itself, overreached and fell into the pasty mass. He was hauled out, covered from head to foot in a sticky coating of lillipee. This could not be allowed to go to waste; so the people around scraped the child with their mussel shells, and swallowed the contents. Thinking that the food was not sufficiently scraped off, old Rangi (it is said) held the child up by the heels, and licked him all over; thus securing a tasty morsel, and saving soap!