Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

History and traditions of the Maoris of the West Coast, North Island of New Zealand, prior to 1840

Niho-Mango. — 1829


After killing or driving to the forests all the inhabitants of Pelorus, the Ngati-Toa fleet returned to the mouth of Pelorus Sound, and whilst here (says Mr. Travers) they were joined by Te Pehi-kupe and further reinforcements of Ngati-Toa from Kapiti. It will be remembered that Te Pehi-kupe had, in 1825, invited himself on board a whale-ship bound for England, whither he desired to proceed in order to procure arms for his people, in which he was partially successful. He returned to New Zealand in January, 1829,* and, no doubt, joined Te Rau-paraha directly afterwards, so we have a date for the further proceedings of the taua.

With this increased force Te Rau-paraha returned on his tracks for a time without going through the French Pass, and then coasting down the east side of the South Island proceeded to punish a Ngai-Tahu chief named Rere-waka, who, on hearing of the defeat of the allies at the attack on Kapiti in 1824, had said that he would rip up Te Rau-paraha's belly with a niho-mango, or shark's tooth. But as Mr. Travers has fully described this expedition (Transactions and Proceedings New Zealand Institute, Vol. 5, p. 72, et seq). I will only say that after this attack on Kaikoura itself, Takahaka, a pa a little north of Omihi and south of the former place, was also taken.

We left Ati-Awa at the head of Queen Charlotte Sound. My notes are not clear as to whether this tribe joined Te Rau-paraha again, before the latter started on his way down the east coast as described

* Te Pehi, says Judge Mackay, came back direct to New Zealand from England, and then made a voyage to Sydney. It was in 1829 he returned from the latter place.

page 427above. But probably they did so, and it was then decided that Ati-Awa should take the west coast of the South Island and conquer that country. However, this may be, the fact is that it was Ati-Awa, assisted by some of Ngati-Rarua (of Ngati-Toa), who made the conquest. The particular hapus of Ati-Awa that contributed most largely to this expedition were Ngati-Mutunga, Puke-tapu, Manu-korihi, and Huti-wai, besides Ngati-Tama under Te Puoho. The chief men engaged were Niho, Te Puoho, Takerei, Te Manu-tohe-roa* (of Puke-tapu), Te Keha, Te Koihua; Te Puoho and Te Manu-tohe-roa appear to have taken the leading part. We know few details of this raid. The tribes that were now to fall under the weapons of Ati- Awa and Ngati-Rarua had not as yet experienced the full effects of warfare as conducted by the savage northern tribes, nor were they in possession of firearms. These tribes were the Ngati-Apa-ki-te-ra-to (or Ngati-Apa-of-the-sunset) and the few remaining people of the Ngati-Tu-mata-kokiri, living amongst them as slaves or vassals. I extract from Judge Mackay's work a brief account of these people, for the book is scarce, though often quoted —not always with due acknowledgments.

* Afterwards killed at the battle of Te Kuiti-tanga, 1839.

A compendium of official documents relating to native affairs in the South Island, by A. Mackay, Native Commissioner, Government Printer, Wellington, 1873.