Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Salient. Victoria University Student Newspaper. Volume 39, No. 1, March 1, 1976

en You are Living in a House -

[unclear: en] You are Living in a House -

[unclear: if] you think the rent is too high, or landlord puts the rent up, you can [unclear: eal] to the Rent Appeal Board. You get appeal forms from a Post Office, Labour Department or the Tenants [unclear: on].

  • An appeal to the Board costs you nothing.
  • The landlord cannot evict you or you for appealing, whether or not you are successful.
  • If the appeal is successful and back-dated, you can deduct the extra money you have paid from the rent.

The landlord or his agent must [unclear: now:] you at least 24 hours notice before [unclear: sing] on to your property, he must [unclear: ae] at a reasonable time, and then only [unclear: nspect] the condition of the property. [unclear: prt] from that he has no more rights a any other person who is not [unclear: invi] and you can tell him to leave.

If the landlord will not do repairs the house, or fix the stove or washing chine, you should give him a month's [unclear: tten] notice to carry out the specif-repairs, if he doesn't fix them with-[unclear: in] month, you can deduct money from [unclear: their] rent to pay for the repairs yourself, [unclear: The] landlord can appeal against your [unclear: decision] to deduct from the rent, but cannot evict you for doing so. The [unclear: aants] Union has blank forms giving [unclear: al] notice for repairs to be carried [unclear: it].