Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Salient. Victoria University Student Newspaper. Vol 35 no. 10. 24 May 1972



The Victoria Rugby League team had a narrow victory over Upper Hutt, 24-19, at Liardet St. on April 29. The score gives some indication of the poor display offered by the University team. However, this win places University top equal in the Senior Second competition with Petone, the next team to be met. Congratulations are in order for Alan Haronga who gained selection in the Wellington B side to play Manawatu. Alan also gained selection for the Maoris in the annual Maori v Pakeha game, as did Mill Moore. Ian Kendricks is in the Pakeha side.

The team against Upper Hutt was L. BensonCooper, M. Smith, R. Taukamo (capt) T. Jamison. S. McConnell, D. Bidois, M. Miru, W. Moore, T. Sadlier, I. Kendricks; J. Dixon. A. Haronga D. White.

Too many chances of scoring were lost and the defensive play was often shocking - there are the two main criticisms of the team's play. Dropped passes occurred all too frequently, and the forwards were often out of position to support the player with the ball. The players looked unfit - something which they should not be after training this length of time.

There were some bright spots, however, Mick Miru played exceptional football at Scrumhalf. The complete understanding between him and hooker 'Sacs' Sadlier enabled Varsity to win a good deal of ball, Ian Kendricks also had a great game, one of the few to be there when the ball-carrier needsupport. Bill Moore, before he went off with an injured knee, made some useful runs and was quickly onto the loose ball. He was replaced by John Bailey, an NZU rep last season, who showed that despite lack of fitness he still has the ability to play good League. Derek White showed himself unused to the position of loose forward while the second-row forwards John Dixon and Alan Haronga did not have the garre of which they are capable.

Lex Benson-Cooper had one good run in the second-half and performed quite soudly at fullback. Mike Smith and Steve McConnell did all that could be asked of them and were rewarded with three tries between them. Ronnie Taukamo had some trouble in his hands and did not play his usual game but he did score the winning try. Tom Jamison was inclined at times to run too far before passing, and he often missed tackles. But when Tom did tackle it was a delight to watch always around the ankles. Dave Bidois had a good game at stand off half., running and passing well. His goal-kicking has also improved - converting three of the six tries scored and close with the others.

Scorers were: S. McConnell (2trses), M. Smith T. Jamison, R. Taukamo, W. Moore, D. Bidois (3 conversions).

The second team gave a much improved performance leading 11-8 at half time against Porirua City B before finally going down 32-14. Richard Fitzgerald scored three tries and played quite a good game at loose forward. But the outstanding player was the captain Perry Andrews, forced to do too much work, he kept playing tirelessly and led the team by example. At scrum-half Rex Parker also collected his fair share of the knocks, but made too many elementary mistakes, e.g. taking a penalty from the wring spot. Other scorers were Lindsay Weston a try and Alan Blake a conversion. Lindsay made an extremely good debut for the Junior Firsts.

David Pennington.