Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Salient. Victoria University Student Newspaper. Vol. 34, No. 18. October 6 1971



Signing off

Thanks to those people who have willingly contributed to these pages throughout the year. Some people are worthy of special mention. Ian Dunn's interest in University sport is well-known, and although his rugby column was somewhat controversial, he was one contributor who could always be relied upon. Andrew Wright was ever-ready with copy to do with the administration of the various sports played at this university.

Rick Priest, of the Cricket Club, Peter Murphy and David Turner of Karate, Cliff Laking (soccer) and Doug Hill (Hockey) have been particularly keen in promoting their clubs through Salient.

Others prominent were: Gav Adlam (Rifles), Ann Armstrong (Ski), Philip Kear and Ian Stockwell (Athletics), Alan Laidler and the Gym staff and many and Ian Stockwell (Athletics) Alan Laidler and the Gym staff and many others.

With the interest shown by these people university sport looks like having a bright future. Upgrading of facilities will also help.

Apathy appears to be the catch-cry of university administrators. It appears to me however, that this apathy can be countered if interest is engendered in the recreational pursuits this university offers. Those who do get involved in University sport are generally those who show the most interest in their university, and those who are least apathetic. It is a pity such people constitute a minority.

University sport has a big following among the public, and can be a significant factor in maintaining good community - university relationships.

This year has been quite a successful one for Vic sports enthusiasts. Special congratulations should go to the cricket team, for their outstanding record at Summer Tournament, and also to the Rugby Club, firstly because they won the Wellington Club championship, and secondly because of the success of the Senior A side which was much criticized early in the season.

My thanks go to all those willing contributors who, because of space limitations, must go unmentioned.

1971 Blues


  • B. Britten
  • G. Stephens
  • M. McKinley
  • V. Pickett

303 Rifles

  • J. Whiteman
  • R. McKinley


  • P. Kear
  • I. Finlayson
  • C. Banks E. Cairns


  • R. Priest
  • T. Druce
  • J. Greenwood
  • P. Reid

Rugby Football

  • G. Kember
  • R. Willis
  • P. Smith
  • K. Shirley
  • G. Mourie
  • D. Evans
  • W. Sharp
  • C. Sutton
  • J. Kirkby
  • R. Deyell

Men's Indoor Basketball

  • P. Mitchell


  • I. Stockwell

Table Tennis

  • Mary Lou McCombie

Rugby League

  • J. Bailey
  • R. Leonard

Smallbore Rifle

  • J. Adlam
  • I. Cossar
  • K. McGregor


  • R. Hayman
  • A. Apathy S. Norris
  • S. Grant-Taylor


  • B. Quirke
  • H. Barley
  • S. Musker


  • C. Watt
  • G. White
  • R. Barltrop


  • R. Temple
  • C. Cameron


  • G. Coleman

Social Diary — Friday:

...went along to the Blues Dinner on Friday night, and had a very nice evening. Mr. A. Wright was in attendance, looking very dapper in a light blue ensemble and tramping boots. Cocktails began at 7.30pm, and just after 8pm everybody moved off to dinner.

Mrs Levenbach, a rather haughty woman, made her presence felt early in the piece, but was soon quietened. On the whole, the meal was rather pleasant. Had a very delicate seafood cocktail, soup, fish, chicken with the most delectable legumes, 'Kirsch Parfait' and coffee.

Mr Philip Kear, of the VUW Sports Committee officiated as chairman of the gathering. It was by the way, quite a large group, about 130 people I believe. This gentleman told a rather tasteless joke about Lord Nelson's brown trousers which quite upset the tone of the evening. Then Mr-Malcolm McLaw spoke, prior to the Presentation of the Blues Award Certificates.

Guest speaker was Mr Barrie Trueman, the National Soccer Coach. A charming and witty man, but decidedly lower-class accent. However he did give us some home truths about New Zealand sport, namely, that we New Zealanders excel more at strength sports than skill sports. On the whole, an amusing and interesting speech.

This was followed by the presentation of Trophy to the Sportsman of the Year. Mr John Gibbons, of Rugby Senior A's and an Olympic rower, countered Mr True-man's comments on the New Zealand sporting scene rather abruptly I fear, but went on to present the very handsome trophy to Mr Phillip Kear. A deserved title for this young man, who has shown courage and dedication throughout his athletics career, and is at present national 400m champion.

Throughout the dinner I was fortunate in sitting next to a Mr Horsly and his party - Charming old gentlemen, all of whom won blues in the 40's. One thing which emerged from our discussion was that perhaps the system of awarding blues should be revamped, to ensure that only those who really deserved blues received them. Thre were some who missed out this year but should have got one apparently. One member of the Karate club who has spent much time coaching his fellows, won distinguished black-belt status this year, but has received no recognition from his university. This is only one example. A sorry state of affairs indeed.

Messrs Dave Howman, Richard Orgias and Andrew Wright should be congratulated on their running of this year's Blues Dinner. A most enjoyable time was had by all, especially me. Arrived home pissed at 3.30am!

Salient Social Reporter

Belated Tournament News

Small-Bore Rifles:

The surprise defeat of Vic's small-bore rifle team by the occasional university or three, will be spoken of in hushed tones over the bar in the pub at Hog Swamp (pop. 8) for many years to come.

The intrepid marksmen, to wit, Mr G. Adlam, Mr I. Cossar, Mr K. McGregor, Mr H. van Dam and Mr D. Wilson, soundly thrashed both Otago (2335.148) and Lincoln (2334.82) with a score, remarkably similar to last year's of 2340.135. (The scores of Canterbury, Massey and Auckland, are available on written request to the appropriate authority.)

Four new records were set. In the I.C.I. Shield, B. Mason, Auck., bettered the record set in 1965 by 1.2 with his score of 599. 52. A. Vincent, Cant., managed to drop one point over ten cards to obtain a score of 999.81, four points above the previous record and virtually unassailable. In the North Vs South match the North won with a score of 1972.143,4.4 above the 1962 record. The N.Z.U. vs Auckland Assn, shoot resulted in a record smashing 1979.156 but the opposition managed an even more record smashing 1989.168 so that was that.

N.Z.. Blues were awarded to B. Mason and A. Vincent. Vic Blues were awarded to G. Adlam, K. McGregor and I. Cossar, (for sexual equality on the mound!)

K. McGregor


Victoria fielded its strongest spuad for a number of years with the inclusion of one National League and several Central League players among the fourteen who travelled. Pre-Tournament discussion generally favoured Victoria and Auckland as candidates for first place, while Canterbury and Massey were expected to provide stern opposition.

On Monday morning, Victoria defeated Lincoln impressively by 8-0. Heavy overnight rain had created a slippery surface which suited Victoria's quick ground-passing game. At half time the score was 7-0, but the second spell saw the addition of one more goal only as Victoria eased up. Goal scorers in this match were Bryan Park 3, Paul Cameron 2, Dave Bradshaw 2, Tony Compton 1.

The afternoon game against Massey was, in contrast, very closely contested. Victoria did not achieve supremacy until the final ten minutes when three goals were hammered past a tiring Massey defence. Massey page break of football that effectively nullified the Victoria attacks and they clearly hoped to win by snatching a break-away goal. A cross-field wind of gale force proportions assisted Massey's tactics and Victoria struggled hard to breach a stout rearguard that was superbly marshalled by the Massey captain, John Saunders. As the second spell ticked away without any score, Victoria's supporters became anxious. Eventually however, Victoria hit the front with one of the best conceived and executed goals of the Tournament. Warren Moyes picked up the ball in mid-field and made ground before passing to Alan Park on the right wing. He cut across the penalty box and pushed the ball on to Ian Garner who split the defence with a perfect pass to Bryan Park, ten yards in front of goal. Bryan's shot gave the keeper no chance: 1-0 to Victoria amid scenes of jubilation both on and off the field. Two minutes later, another right wing attack led up to a Ronnie Temple goal and just on full-time, the demoralised Massey team watched Bryan Park hook a magnificent shot into the top left hand corner of their goal. As in the morning, Victoria's defence looked very solid with Paul Cameron, Ross Powell and Stan Wypych all combining well.

Tuesday morning provided yet another change of conditions, the playing surface having become much heavier. Against Otago, Victoria looked lethargic in the opening minutes and they received an early setback when Stan Wypych was unsighted after an Otago corner and the opposition was able to capitalise on the loose ball. Victoria took twenty-five minutes before equalising from a Dave Bradshaw cross which was mishandled by the Otago keeper and stabbed home by Bryan Park. Three more goals followed in the second spell: Paul Cameron headed in from a Phil Peters corner; Dave Bradshaw grabbed an opportunist goal after a promising run by Phil Peters had been halted; and Ronnie Temple was on hand to convert a good pass into the penalty area. Although Victoria's winning margin was three goals, their performance was not as convincing in this match. This was possibly due to a cartilage injury suffered by Ian Garner, the captain. The knock prevented Ian from taking further part in the Tournament, besides destroying his chances of N.Z.U. selection. It also proved disastrous for the positional pattern Victoria had adopted. As link in the 4-2-4 formation, lan's running, control and distribution had been crucial to the forwards' supply of good ball an; his absence necessitated redeploying players for the remaining games.

On Tuesday afternoon, Victoria defeated Waikato 2-0. This match had no bearing on Tournament results, since Waikato was present by invitation only, having been ruled ineligible to participate competitively by N.Z.U. Sports Council. Play was scrappy for most of thirty-five minute spells agreed upon as the Victoria team tried to conserve its energy for the critical match against Auckland on Wednesday afternoon. Goal scorers were Ronnie Temple and Bryan Park. One ominous feature did emerge from this game, however. The speedy Waikato forwards managed to penetrate Victoria's mid-field defence on several occasions, something which had not occurred previously. No remedial measures were immediately apparent other than reversion to a traditional single centre-half line-up, but unfortunately this move was decided against.

The Auckland match was played on a bumpy surface drying out under a blustery cross-field wind. During the early exchanges, Auckland used their physical advantages to full effect and Victoria players were subjected to some fierce tackling which prevented them from settling into a rhythm. The absence of Ian Garner in mid-field was felt acutely as the bustling Aucklanders frequently retrieved possession by back-tackling. Nevertheless, Victoria did receive two glorious opportunities to score in the first quarter. First, a magnificent cross from Ronnie Temple was hit outside the upright and minutes later, a header from Alan Park dropped in front of an open goal but nobody was following up. After fiftenn minutes, a long pass through the centre was not chased back by Victoria's defenders and Stan Wypych was left stranded in goal. From the restart, Auckland swept straight back onto attack and hesitancy in challenging allowed Auckland's right winger to dribble in towards the near post and crack a firm shot past the advancing keeper. Five minutes later, Victoria's morale reached a nadir when Stan Wypych made his only serious mistake throughout the Tournament to give Auckland their third goal. From this point, the result was never really in doubt, although Victoria pressed hard on numerous occasions. Towards the end of the first half, Phil Peters beat the Auckland keeper, John Morris, with a screaming drive that just skimmed over the bar and in the second half, Victoria forced several corners and free kicks. From one of these, Bryan Park curled the ball goal-wards and Morris needed all his class to pull off a fine save. Neither side was able to improve its score however, and a disappointing game ended Victoria 0, Auckland 3.

After losing to Auckland, Victoria were somewhat casual in their approach to the last match against Canterbury on Thursday morning. Midway through the first spell, Victoria's Alan Park "scored" a hotly disputed goal from an acute angle. In spite of being badly positioned at the time, the referee overruled Canterbury's protestations. However, justice triumped moments later when the equalister was scored from a well flighted corner kick. Early in he second half, Dave Bradshaw put Victoria ahead again when he outstripped the Canterbury defence down the right wing and cut infield to score with a low shot. Canterbury attacked strongly after this reverse and eventually levelled. Finally, they notched the winning goal after Victoria had conceded a penalthy. The game ended Canterbury 3, Victoria 2.

The overall standard of soccer at this Tournament was extremely high and in securing second, place equal, Victoria performed most creditably. Every player toiled hard throughout the tough schedule of matches and three were rewarded by selction for the N.Z.U. team. They were Paul Cameron, Phil Peters and Ronnie Temple. The N.Z.U. played the tourning Australian Universities side at Newmarket Park on the Saturday and went down 1-3 in a disappointing spectacle. Owing to National League commitments, most of the N.Z.U. defence was unavailable and the second-string were no match for the speedy visitors.


The Vic contingent won all of the games convincingly, and were our most successful competitors. Their results:
  • v Auckland, won 15-1
  • v Canterbury, won 16-0
  • v Massey, won 10-6
  • v Otago, won 16-0

The team lost most of the singles in the game against Massey, but came back to win all of the doubles and most of the mixed doubles. A fine team effort.

The team's depth ensured success from the beginning. Every other team, except perhpas Massey, had no depth at all - hence our convincing wins.

N.Z.U. team members selected: B. Quirk (No. 1 man). M. Barley (No. 3 woman), S. Musker (No. 2 woman).

A. Laking, Secretary.

Cross Country

The N.Z.U. race was this year held over the One Tree Hill Domain alongside Auckland's Cornwall Park. The 4 lap course which consisted of fairly undulating country was relatively firm underfoot which ensured a fast race.

As expected Euan Robertson from Massey took the individual honours. This was his fourth win in the past five tournaments. This win, coupled with his 7th placing at the National Cross Country Champs, makes Robertson one of the best University cross-country runners of all time.

Second home was Martin Everton of Lincoln who competed for Canterbury at the Nationals. Third was John Le Grice of Auckland who was the 1968 National 3 mile Champion.

First home for Victoria was Ian Stockwell who gamed 7th place. This placing enabled him to gain a position in the N.Z.U. team. Second Vic man was Eric Cairns (12) and third was Ian Hunt (15).

Auckland won the teams race for the Dixon Trophy with 21 points followed by Lincoln (45) and Victoria (50). Otago who have won the trophy for the past 8 years sensationally collapsed and won the Wooden Spoon.

The competition for the top North Island University (Shakleford Trophy) saw Victoria with 67 points finish second to Auckland (37).

The emergence of Lincoln as a force to be reckoned with in N.Z.U. Cross Country was one of the features of this year's tournament. Lincoln took the Carmalt Jones trophy for the top South Island University. This was Lincoln's first win for 40 years.

Highlights for Vic's Cross Country reps were the dinner at the Leopard Tavern and the joke telling session which was followed by a visit to one of Auckland's famous.


Winter Tournament 1971 showed up in rather dismal light the relatively poor standard of Victoria's Mens' Hockey team. It showed in fact that Victoria was not competent to win one game, that it had no player worthy of N.Z.U. selction and that the standard of play of Victoria's tournament team has slipped backwards considerably in recent years.

Victoria Team; back, Paul Bradshaw. Vladimir Halama, Joe Bryde, Phil Jones, Marilyn Waring front, Ann Armstrong, Alex Sim, Alison Blakeway.

Victoria Team; back, Paul Bradshaw. Vladimir Halama, Joe Bryde, Phil Jones, Marilyn Waring front, Ann Armstrong, Alex Sim, Alison Blakeway.

But Tournament did more than this. It provided the team and its supporters with a most enjoyable and unforgettable week of social activity in Auckland, and so, despite the team's poor record, the week could by no means be called an unsuccessful one.

Its record was: a 1-6 loss to Canterbury, a 0-4 loss to Massey, a 2-5 loss to Auckland, a 1-1 draw with Waikato, a 4-4 draw with Otago and another 1-1 draw with Lincoln.

Contributing largely to Victoria's unimpressive effort was its general lack of fitness which was borne out most strikingly in the hammering delivered by Canterbury. Inexperience, the fact of never having played together as a team and a general unwillingness to make a dedicated effort were other factors which help explain the results.

However, many of the team's weaknesses became less apparent as the week progressed and the corresponding improvement in Victoria's play was seen in the fact that not one of the last three games was lost. The match against Otago was particularly noteworthy for it saw the team produce its best hockey of the tournament.

Victoria's outstanding player was undoubtedly Geoff Kirkham at centre-half who played with determination throughout and who ensured that some measure of respectability was always attached to the team's effort.

Roger Wilcox too, deserves special mention as the pick of the forwards. He was the Star of the Otago match and was responsible for preventing what would have been an unlucky defeat by scoring a very neat goal in the final seconds of that game.

Peter Morgan was solid full-back and he performed his duties as captain with credit. Phill Judd at centre-forward emerged with the distinction of being the team's top goal scorer.

Special mention must be made of Victoria's loyal band of supporters, the S.L.P.D. (Side-line piss-drinkers) who barracked in lordly tones, although not always constructively. The Victoria womens' team also lent loyal support.

The social scene showed some team members up in rather surprising fashion. Who would have thought before tournament that the team contained a guy who can do daring feats of agility four storeys above Queen Street, another who spends his Sunday nights in lonely vigil on verandahs, a couple of grave-robbers and a bloke who can't even drink his milk?...

D. Hill.

Rugby League

1971 Winter Tournament must be regarded as the most successful ever for the Rugby League Club. Going up to Auckland as "Another" side Victoria were unlucky not to draw first equal.

First game up was against Canterbury. Down at half time Victoria came back to lead but was beaten 11-10 in the last moments.

Otago in the next game was allowed too much room; consequently Victoria was beaten 24-11.

At this stage it appeared Victoria would take the Wooden Spoon but a great performance the next morning against the 'guns' of N.Z. Rugby League, Auckland, saw Vic win 12-9 and follow it up in the afternoon with 27-15 victory over Massey. It was a great day. As for the night....!?

All the team gave a 100%, but Victoria's outstanding individuals were Cyril Martin and Brian Smith. John Bailey too was rewarded for his good forward play with a place in the N.Z.U. team to play Australian Universities.

The Sports Dinner night saw Victoria dominate proceedings with Cyril Martin receiving a presentation for Tournament top try scorer and Harold Mill take the Emraldi trophy for the Tournament's outstanding sportsman.

After a disappointing club season this year Tournament was a great boost and points to a good season for 1972.


Ski Tournament was hosted this year by Canterbury University at Temple Basin, near Aurther's Pass. The Auckland and Victoria teams arrived on Sunday and made the forty minute climb to the huts in the rain of an approaching storm. The bad weather continued and the races planned for Monday and Tuesday were cancelled, while the racers and officials sat out the storm.

Good use was made of this time with drinking horn being held on Monday night. Victoria produced no great stars but solid dinking gained us third place in each division! Our former team captain, John Armstrong who was acting as course setter this year, won the mens' individual title.

The weather cleared a little on Wednesday to allow the holding of the first run of the slalom. This was completed on Thursday together with the Grand Slalom and the Downhill.

Team results; Men;

1st Otago, 2nd Victoria, 3rd Lincoln


1st Otago, 2nd Victoria, 3rd Auckland

P. Jones from Vic finished third in the individual title races.

Ann Armstrong.

Shield Points
Soccer 8 2 2 2
Badminton 2 4 8
Men's Basketball 1 1 6 6
Women's Basketball 8 2 4
Fencing 4 8 2
Golf 4 2 8
Harriers 8 2 4
Men's Hockey 8 4 2
Women's Hockey 2 8 4
Judo 2 8 4
Netball 4 2 8
Shooting 2 4 8
Squash 2 4 8
Table Tennis 8 2 4
Rugby League 2 8 4
Skling 2 2 2 8
Karate* 8 4 2
Total 63 14 29 58 6 54

* Karate results do not appear in the totals because Karate is not a "full sport".