Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Salient. Victoria University Student Newspaper. Volume. 34, Number 15. August 4, 1971

Soccer Notes

Soccer Notes

The Senior 1st team has now lifted itself clear of the bottom of the points table after a convincing 5-2 win over W.D.U. If the reshuffled forward line can maintain its form, relegation worries should be over.

On Sunday, 4 July, a University team travelled to Palmerston North for a pre-Tournament fixture against Massey. The ground was in excellent order and the weather perfect. During the opening minutes, Massey looked dangerous with several raids down the right flank although Victoria was playing more constructively. After 15 minutes, P. Peters received a long pass and staved off the fullback's challenge to slide the ball' past the Massey keeper. 10 minutes later, against the run of play, Massey equalised from a goalmouth scramble following a corner Victoria was attacking strongly however and several firm shots nearly found the net. At half time the score was still even.

5 minutes into the second half, B. Park was brought down in the Massey penalty area and I. Garner scored from the direct free kick. 2 minutes later Massey retaliated when C. Brown, who was playing a great game in goal for Victoria, failed to hold a Massey shot and the ball rolled clear for an unmarked winger to push home. 3 minutes later, another - defensive error led to Massey's third goal.

At this stage Massey, who had made 4 substitutes, looked as if they might take control of the game. However, Victoria were beginning to exploit the weaknesses of the Massey wing defence—in a well executed move, D. Bradshaw ran on to a long ball and crossed to A. Park who rammed it into the corner of the net. Less than a minute later, B. Park picked up a loose ball and his shot was mishandled by the Massey keeper to put Victoria ahead 4-3. Massey was not beaten though, and despite some courageous saves by C. Brown, they eventually levelled midway through the spell when a strong shot richocheted off the post for an attacker to capitalise on.

Up to this point, the game had been notable for the good ball control of both teams, but passes became a little misdirected as the players tired. Nevertheless, Victoria had numerous changes and it was a just reward when D. Brad-shaw scored the winning goal from close range 5 minutes before full time. The final score was Victoria 5, Massey 4.

This result augurs well for Victoria's Tournament chances, since we suffered a heavy defeat by Massey last year. Victoria's forwards and mid-field players all combined well and if the defence can be steadied, our prospects must be good.