Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Salient. Victoria University Student Newspaper. Volume. 33, Number 13. 1970

Tournament Ski-ing

Tournament Ski-ing

Photograph of man competing in a skiing competition

On tho Friday before racing, the Auckland University skier Richard Morrison was killed when he fell on some ice and slid over a cliff. Training for the Downhill during the weekend became subdued and virtually halted when a Lincoln skier groping through a white-out, fell fifty feet over a bluff. He was unharmed.

Monday was the day for the Downhill, but racing was adjourned to enable Aucklanders to attend Richard Morrison's funeral.

The Slalom began on Tuesday in the Te Heu Heu Valley in mist and soft snow. The course was very short, only thirty five gates, but was of a high technical standard. Auckland officials had the race going by about two, and most racers had reasonable light. Tim Stewart of Canterbury jetted through the course in 36 seconds and comparisons with the young Killy were inevitable. Armstrong of Victoria ski'd reasonably, hoping that the main opposition would fall. They didn't, and he came second to Stewart. The Otago skier Noddy Ross surprised everyone except himself and came third. By about 3.30p.m. the second run of the Slalom was only about a quarter through and the radios packed up. Team captains rapidly conferred and everyone left for the pub, Tokaanu and the sauna at Grads.

Miraculously, Wednesday was very clear and hot, so it was decided to run the Slalom second run, the Giant Slalom and the Non-stop run of the Downhill. Most of the South Islanders discovered the true powder and revelled on the Pinnacles and delayed the start until about noon. Stewart demolished the course in 35 seconds, most of the girls struggled through, and Victoria emerged third.

Competitors had to climb 500 feet up the glacier to the start of the Donwhill. One or two people fell but most people were bored with the excessively slow middle section.

The Giant Slalom had been set in the valley and this involved another climb. Victoria had three very good times but were only fourth in this event. Auckland in their true mercenary fashion invited 200 hangers-on to a Drinking Horn and we would like to thank them now—for the grog when we could get to it, for the fun we had when we were allowed to breathe, and for the spirit of competition our team had in the one drink they allowed us. Our girls managed to win in fine style though. We were told the Men's Final was between the Auckland team and the Auckland Official's Team, which resulted in three teams later that night plundering a nine gallon keg belonging to A.U.

Thursday was a blizzard and most teams abandoned even the beer Slalom for the Taverh. Tournament Dinner that night was very successful and probably Tiny Mai's delicate downtrou will live on in the minds of the unabashedly purile for decades.

Results: 1. Otago, 2. Canterbury, 3. Victoria.

Men's Individual: 1. John Armstrong (V), 2. M. Ross (O), 3. Bruce Gardner (L)

Women's Individual: 1. Sue Williams (O), 2. Andre Mason (A), 3. Margretta Chance (O).

Victoria team: Ann Armstrong, Bethina Bradbury, Liz Pike, Marilyn Waring, Phil Jones, Wayne Morgan, Joe Bryden, John Armstrong.