Salient. An Organ of Student Opinion at Victoria University, Wellington. Vol. 22, No. 6. Wednesday, June 24, 1959
The grim record of the past cannot be undone. It is no use passing the buck to our ancestors and forgetting about the problem ourselves.
What about the Government? But if you blame the Government you are again passing the buck; for that organ, after all is said and done, expresses (however lamely) the will of the people.
Perhaps you are not absolutely clear as to what you can do. Well, here are some suggestions.
- Adopt an aboriginal child and put him or her through a good school.
- Board an aboriginal apprentice, student or working youth in your own home.
- Invite people of aboriginal blood into your home and to your entertainments.
- Join and/or financially support the only independently-functioning club in Queensland devoted to assimilation — the Kangaroos Sports Club at West End
- Join the Aborigines' Advancement League (c/- Pastor D. Nicholls, M.B.E., 46 Russell St., Melbourne, C1.).
- Press for full citizenship rights and for better education for aborigines.