Salient.The Newspaper of Victoria University College. Vol. 19, No. 4. April 6, 1955
The team appears to be a well-balanced one except that we have been unable to find a flyweight. The members are all fairly fit, and with Herb Robinson looking after them again their chances are very good.
At least three weights should be won, and with a little luck VUC should once again take the boxing shield.
- Lightweight: Doug Law; runner-up in flyweight to NZU Blue Jim Winchester at Christchurch last year.
- Light Welterweight: Tony Mos Aed (Massey); present titleholdcr, should win again.
- Welterweight: Marshall Maher; a newcomer to Varsity boxing, has fought in amateur bouts in Levin and in a good prospect.
- Middleweight: Sam Saili; also a newcomer to Varsity boxing; is fast and hard-hitting and should perform very creditably.
- Light Heavyweight: Representative yet to be decided between B. Tate (Massey) and Rua Bris-Towe (VUC). Bristowe is very fit and strong and should be hard to beat.
- Heavyweight: Wilson Whinneray (Massey): A heavy puncher who could well win his weight.