Salient. An Organ of Student Opinion at Victoria College, Wellington, N.Z. Vol. 17, No. 1. March 4, 1953
This year's Freshers' Welcome will be held up the Upper Gym on Monday. March 9, following the Principal's address.
Six or so years ago Freshers Welcome wan one of the functions of the year; attracting more than 700 students. In recent years there has been a falling off in numbers.
In an effort to make things boom in 1953 your Executive have indicated that generous financial assistance will be given to ensure that this function is a success (It's your money anyway).
- The gym is the thing above the tennis courts.
- There will be coloured lights, fireworks and a loudspeaker to assist you to cover the territory leading to the gym. There will be arrows indicating the situation of the cemetery.
- The haka party and the bulk of Weir House with be in attendance.
- The Jazz Club are supplying a 7-piece dance band.
- Your Executive will be there—one or two of them will be responsible for little talks (limited in time) as to the facts of college life.
- The gym will be decorated with a view to soft lights.
- This is your great opportunity to snaffle that attractive fresh-erette, gentlemen, and vice versa ladies (i.e., to be in a position to be snaffled).
- A supper will be provided. There will be prizes for novelty dances.
- It won't cost anybody a bean.
- A number of old hands are arranging large parties to swell the throng.
- It won't end until early in the morning.
—J. D. Dalgety.