Salient. An Organ of Student Opinion at Victoria College, Wellington, N.Z. Vol. 15, No. 16. August 14, 1952
Drama . .
Drama . . .
This year the V.U.C. Drama Club is sending what it hopes will prove to be a strong team to Winter Tournament. The play that has been chosen is G. B. Shaw's farce, "Poison Passion and Petrifaction or The Fatal Gazogene." Because it is a period play and should be performed with a complicated setting, it presents many production difficulties. However, the Club is confident that the play will go down well with a Tournament audience. The team for the most part consists of students who have only been associated with the Drama Club this year.
- Anne Flannery, who had the female lead in "The Rivals." V.U.C.'s major production earlier this year. Anne is a committee member, and wardrobe mistress to the Club. She has been particularly active in her year's association with the club. Anne also attended a previous Tournament, representing Canterbury Drama Club. In the recent One Act Play evening held by the club Anne Flannery, with Gavin Yates, put on "A Marriage Has been Arranged."
- Janette Nichol, who has appeared in two one-act plays put on by the Drama Club this year, one of which "The Cardinal's Learning" was chosen as our entry in the British Drama League's Festvial.
- Diana Lescher, who has also appeared in several one-act plays this year
- Ross Gilbertson, who represented the club in last year's Tournament also Ross has taken part in many of the club's activities this year. He has been in several one-act plays and worked in the backstage crew for "The Rivals."
- Ian Rich, who also did backstage work for "The Rivals," has been in several one-act plays during the year, and was also in an entry for the British Drama League's Festival.
- John Marchant, Who has been active in the club's activities and has appeared in a one-act play this year.
- Garth Young, who will be in charge of offstage effects (they are quite a number), prompt, stage manager, and in charge of the music (which also plays an important part). Garth has done similar work for the club this year.
- Gavin Yates, who is producing the play, and playing a small part in it is well known in the Drama Club. A committee member, and at the moment engaged in retrieving and sorting the club's library, he has appeared as juvenile lead in "The Rivals" and presented, with Anne Flannery. "A Marriage Has Been Arranged." Gavin represented the club at the annual meeting of the N.Z. Drama Council this year and, with Anne Flannery, will perform a similar duty at the University Drama Council during the Tournament period.
Although naturally not expecting to win the competition, the club is confident that when the time comes the team will put up a commendable performance.