Salient: An Organ of Student Opinion at Victoria College, Wellington, N.Z. Vol. 12, No. 3, April 6th, 1949.
Although Dave Batten is now at Victoria College we, unfortunately, only have second claim to his representation for Easter Tournament. His inclusion would have added greatly to a more promising Victoria team than we have had for some years. However, CUC, with their prior claim are not likely to relinquish such a fine athlete.
The inter-faculty sports were rather marred by the inclement weather, but in spite of this, several athletes showed promise of greater things at Tournament. In the women's events, Helen Burr, who lost the national high jump title on the count-back in spite of her excellent 4ft. 11 in. jump, should have little difficulty in winning this event at Tournament. The sprints see Barbara Hill and Julie Hunt among the leading contenders for NZU titles at the Basin Reserve over Easter.
This year the men's team is much stronger than that of several years past, a factor which may lead to the Wooden Spoon leaving its familiar place in the VUC trophy case. Names such as Gerry Barnard, Alan Catt, Bernie Clapcott, Fred Duckworth, Clem Hawke, Des Kelly, I. Lissienko, Brian Pohlen, Dick Trevethick need no introduction, and these athletes, in their various events, should bring green and gold into the limelight at Tournament.
Among those not so well known, probably the most promising is Ewen Hislop, a junior who shows great potentialities in a number of events, high jump, hop-step and jump, shot and cross-country, and these with his stature would suggest the Decathelon as his final aim.
- 100 Yards.—B. H. Clapworth, A. J. Catt.
- 220 Yards.—B. H. Clapworth, A. J. Catt.
- 440 Yards.—G. J. Barnard, B. H. Clapworth.
- 880 Yards.—J. C. Hawke, G. J. Barnard.
- 1 Mile.—J. C. Hawke, D. Turnbull (Mas.).
- 3 Miles.—D. Turnbull, R. Ingram (Mas.).
- 120 Yards Hurdles.—F. W. Duckworth, H. Edgoose (Mas.).
- 220 Yards Hurdles.—R. Trevethick, H. Edgoose (Mas.).
- 440 Yards Hurdles.—J. McLevie, F. W, Duckworth.
- 1 Mile Walk.—B. J. Pohlen, D. Z. Kelly.
- Discus.—I. Lissienko, R. Jermyn.
- Shot.—I. Hislop, I. Lissienko
- Hammer.—I. Lissienko.
- Javelin.—B. Cameron (Mas.), E. Apperly.
- Pole Vault.—R. Trevethick, G. J. Barnard.
- Broad Jump.—J. Connell, G. Drummond.
- High Jump.—I. Hislop.
- Hop-step and Jump.—I. Hislop, G. Drummond.
- 4 x 110 Relay.—B. Clapcott, R. Trevethick, A. Catt, H. Edgoose (Mas.).
- 4 x 440 Relay.—D. J. Mitchell, G. I. Fox, J. S. Goldfinch, R. Vaughn.
- 75 Yards.—B. Hill, J. E. Hunt.
- 100 Yards.—B. Hill, J. E. Hunt.
- 80 Metre Hurdles.—A. Anderson (Mas.), H. Spencer.
- Javelin.—D. Wood, S. Geraghty.
- High Jump.—H. Burr, P. Sleeman.
- 4 x 110 Relay.—J. Hunt, B. Hunt, D. Wood, A. Anderson.