Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Salient. An Organ of Student Opinion at Victoria College, Wellington, N.Z. Vol. 6, No. 11 August 11, 1943

Men's Hockey

Men's Hockey

The Varsity A-Fort Dorset match was the big game of the season for the men's hockey club. It had been generally held by hockey critics that the Dorset team would defeat University, which they very nearly did. The University eleven played the best game to date. Every member of the team was on top of his form and they were called on to victory by a haka party from the lower teams.

Dorset opened the attacking right at the start. Diprose, the Dorset centre-forward, scored after about four minutes' play. This was a bad start for a game on which the championship depended. At the bully-off Diprose once again beat Ivor Ting for the ball and the speedy Dorset forwards carried the ball to the Varsity circle, where a University back obstructed and Dorset were awarded a penalty corner. Michael Benge stopped the ball on his pads only to have the rebound snapped up by the inrushing forwards and shot into the net, making the score 2 nil after about seven minutes' play. Things were looking decidedly black.

George Ray opened the University score from a scuffle and this was followed immediately by two goals from Ivor Ting from passes by John Nichols. The score now was University 3, Dorset 2, and remained the same up till half-time.

After ten minutes of the second half Diprose netted a very fine goal, making the score 3 all. Ivor Ting shortly afterwards missed an open goal. Ting played a very fine game but, like all the other players, appeared to be too excited. The play during the second half was fairly even and extremely fast. Graham Speight at centre-half played a very fine game, but the climax of the match was when George Ray at left inside scored the winning goal. He cut between the two defending full backs and ran in at the goal. The goalkeeper ran out, whereupon Ray changed his direction and put the ball behind the goalkeeper, who was caught right out of position. This made the score 4-3. The game ended about five minutes later.

The University A team is now first equal with the Dorset team in the championship, but has two matches in hand.

(Last Saturday University A defeated Karori by four goals to two, but as Dorset walloped Training College 12-0 the championship position is unchanged.—Ed.)