Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Salient. An Organ of Student Opinion at Victoria College, Wellington, N.Z. Vol. 6, No. 9 July 14, 1943


page 4


Women's Hockey

At the end of the Qualifying round the senior team, with nine points, is second equal to T.O.G. with 12. Thus the team is certain of playing Senior A after regarding. This is a real achievement on which the team is to be congratulated. It is years since a Varsity team played in this grade, and still more since one as good as the present was fielded. It has improved steadily and is showing the benefit gained from practices in much improved combination, especially among the forwards. Myra Baker has shown herself an outstanding goalkeeper in the games she has played.

The juniors finished the round about half-way up the grade, which is creditable considering the inexperience of its players. Elsie Bannister, Brenda Perry and Rosemary Watt are playing well in this team.

The intermediate never field the same team twice, but they have won two games out of four. The team needs more coaching, as many of the players know little of the game. Doreen Dore, who has been playing for this team, is obviously too good for this grade.

Last Saturday two fairly even teams were entered in the seven-a-side tournament. The A's won two games and lost one in their section, and the B's won one and lost two, neither qualifying for the semi-final.

Scots Wha Hae!

Twenty-one runners, the largest of all the eight teams entered, represented Varsity at the first inter-club race of the season. Unfortunately in the teams race the best we could manage was a very poor second to our old rivals, Scottish Harriers. Doug. Olson was first home for V.U.C., being placed sixth. Considering the fast pace set by the leaders Doug. did remarkably well. Others well placed were Rowberry (13th), de la Mare (14th), Collins (19th), Daniell (20th), and Hunt (23rd). Bernie Swedlund wishes it to be recorded that he was not last. He is rather vague as to just where he did come.

The next run was long and fast. Starting from Thorndon, we climbed up to Wadestown, slithered down to Kaiwarra, climbed up to Wadestown, slithered down to Khandallah and then ran like——er Scottish Harriers down Onslow Road and home along the Hurt Road.

Last Saturday the prospect of further inter-club races and the N.Z.U. cross-country race in August was enough to make the club captain lead his pack away from the Petone Rowing Club building at little less than a gallop. Up in the Korokoro hills the pace slackened up a little except some spirited running when a farmer with several useful-looking dogs objected to our ill-treatment of his fences.


Despite the fact that for only one half-match has V.U.C. been able to field their full senior A team, they manage to extend the opposing side fairly well. Against Wellington East Old Girls, V.U.C. started well, Margaret Beattie scoring three goals before East forwards settled down. Keen play kept the ball flashing from one end of the field to the other. East finally winning 18 to 12. Mira Parsons, playing defence for the first time, played an outstanding game. Joyce Carter fitted in well in the forward third, her field-work being of value. Lack of understanding in the centre third lost V.U.C. the ball several times from the throw-off.

Against Tech. O.G., V.U.C, even with emergencies, put up their finest showing this season—playing Norma Henderson and Joyce Carter as fielding forwards to get the ball to Margaret Beattie to score 13 goals, and also scoring one each themselves. Mira Parsons again showed up well in defence and the centre worked smoothly. At half-time V.U.C. were leading by 11-9, but in the second half Tech. rapidly gained a lead, winning 18-16. Improved ball-handling made the passing etronger and consequently the team showed more confidence.

Mira Parsons, Thea Muir, Joyce Strange and Margaret Beattie have been selected for Senior A Wellington rep trials, and Norma Henderson for Senior B grade. We congratulate them.

After the previous Saturday's improved performance hopes were held of at least giving Aspro a hard game, but Varsity lost 25-5.

Despite once again playing short, the B team showed much improvement in their field-work, especially in the defence third. During the second half, Varsity settled down but were unable to make up a 6 goal lead and lost by 11 goals to 4.

Up the Airy Mountain

Once a year the V.U.C. Tramping Club has run a trip which has not returned to schedule. The four stalwarts on the winter Arete trip kept up the tradition. They had an adventurous time, although conditions hardly warranted the alarm and rumours that nourished at Varsity on the afternoon of Monday, Julie 28.

All went well until midday on Saturday, when the Tararuas turned on their usual winter weather. Talk of Arete and Dundas died hard, but it died. Sunday's weather was like Saturday's, and we had no choice but retreat. The Ohau river did not disappoint our expectations. It was in good flood, so we spent the afternoon climbing up and down the cliffs on the bank. While we were scrambling round a cliff, Doug. Yen became separated from the party. We followed down river for a time until it became obvious firstly that he had taken to the river, and secondly that we had no hope of overtaking him before dark. Three worried trampers then considered whether they ought to take the more dangerous course of following Doug, down the river or the safer course of climbing out of the gorge on to the higher ridge of Gable End, and returning later to search if need be. Eventually we decided not to risk three more lives, So we slept in a wet tent on a narrow ledge high above the Ohau, despite rain, hail and hunger, to dream of fishing a small Chinese corpse from the river.

We arrived at Ohau on Monday to find that an ice-axe and Doug's shoes had disappeared—a hopeful sign! The road was searched before dark, and on arriving at Levin we were relieved to hear that the wanderer had gone on to Wellington.

Later we learned that Doug had slipped on the cliff and been slightly stunned by the fall, but not realising his weakneas or injuries had attempted to go on and had fallen into the river. With a combination of swimming, floundering and luck he managed to get Bafely out. He spent a lonely night in the bush, and despite an injured leg proceeded on his way down the river on Monday, getting out several hours ahead of the others.

It was an ordeal for all of us—at times a nightmare. We all learned something from the trip—including what it to possible to do on a mouthful of bread. To all kind pampers who offered to organise a search party we are very grateful. Flooded rivers in winter are no joke.