Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Salient. An organ of student opinion at Victoria College Wellington, N.Z. Vol. 2, No. 5 April 19, 1939


"Salient" has great pleasure in publishing the following carefully expurgated account of Tournament, by a reporter who visited Dunedin at great personal risk, impelled only by a sense of duty. Wrapped in blankets, his forehead in ice, his feet in a mustard bath, and showing unmistakably signs of the strain imposed on his mental and physical health, he dictated blotto voce to our beautiful stenographer, sipping, Worcester sauce at intervals. A doctor, three nurses, a detective and several policemen were present throughout the interview. At times the patient's mind wandered, during which periods he rolled his eyes and sweated neat spirit. He has been formally arrested, but cannot be removed from hospital for some time.

First of all (he said) I wish to protest very strongly against the action of the wharf authorities in not allowing our friends on to the wharf to farewell us. The poignant memory of a parting on the shore is not only the time-honoured right of every traveller, but it has the practical value of encouraging his virtue while abroad. Any lapses from our team's customary good behaviour is directly ascribable to this action by the wharf authorities.

However, some of our friends did succeed in passing the barriers of officialdom by force, charm or gulle, in particular I would mention two girls who fearlessly ran the gauntlet of police and wharf officials and reached the ship's side, accompanied by the cheers of those whose way was barred. Their determination and their contempt for red tape are to be commended. I can testify to the sobriety and purity of their friends during the trip.

Because so many were in training, the Journey south was uneventful. A few were sea-sick, but quite tidily. On arrival at Dunedin, we were met by a haka party dressed in kilts with beer mugs for sporrans. We were efficiently drafted into pens, according to the ribbons we wore, and then driven to our billets. At 7.45 p.m. there was a haka recital from 4ZB.

Next day there was a delegates' meeting, an official welcome, after which the Tournament photographs were taken and O.U. gave us afternoon tea. The annual conferences of N.Z.U.S.A. and the Press Bureau began.