Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Salient. An Organ of Student Opinion at Victoria College, Wellington, N.Z. Vol. 1, No. 19 September 6, 1938

Scrimgeour First

Scrimgeour First

On Wednesday, August 17. V.U.C.'s harrier team, consisting of D. R. Scrymgeour (captain), F. D. O'Flynn, A. R. Burge, G. S. Farquhar. M. J. Hoffman, and S. K. Newall left for Dunedin to defend the Dixon Trophy at the New Zealand University Crosscountry Championship. On arrival at Dunedin the visiting teams were met by Otago representatives and taken to billets. On Friday a trip was made to Wingatui so that the visitors could walk over the course before the race. Of two laps, it was found to be dry and fast, the starting point being the bend coming into the front straight. From there the course led down the straight to continue over a gate and fence to turn left down a road for several hundred yards and then over a gate into a paddock with a gradual upward slope. After crossing two more fences it dropped to cross a ditch. A very steep climb was on the other side. At the top of the incline the course turned sharply to the left down a long gradual slope which led to half a mile of road. A left-hand turn, followed by 400 yards of railway and a similar distance of open field and a water jump, brought the course on to the back straight of the racecourse. The finishing point was in front of the grandstand.

The Race.

The race itself started at a fast pace, with all the Victoria team well to the fore. Taylor of Canterbury led the field on to the road, with Kofoed of Auckland close behind and Scrymgeour handy. As the race proceeded the superior team-work of the Otago team was noticeable. Anderson of Canterbury, handicapped by late arrival and lack of knowledge of the course, sprinted hard at the end of the first lap only to find that he had another round to go. In the circumstances he ran a fine race. The battle for individual honours soon developed into a duel between Kofoed and Scrymgeour, but the N.Z.U. 3-mile champion proved too good for the young Auckland runner.

Scrymgeour Takes Lead.

At the top of the first rise on the second lap Scrymgeour took the lead and on reaching the road, quickly drew away from Kofoed. Along the railway his easy bouncing stride carried him still further ahead and he reached the racecourse with a commanding lead. Kofoed was unable to make up any leeway and Scrymgeour won by 120 yards in 37 mins, 40 secs.

There was a stirring battle for third place, Adamson just falling to catch Ford of Otago. Anderson of Otago and Taylor of Canterbury won the two remaining N.Z.U. Blues.

Dixon Trophy to Otago.

The splendid team-work of Otago, who filled 3rd, 5th, 7th, 8th and 9th places, secured for them the Dixon Trophy with 23 points, Auckland (34) being next, Victoria (44) third, and Canterbury (49) fourth. Of the Victoria men gaining points, Scrymgeour finished first, O'Flynn 12th. Burge 15th, and Farquhar 16th.

Otago are to be congratulated on the excellence of the arrangements made for the comfort and entertainment of the visiting teams. The functions in particular went off very smoothly.