Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1904.

[Final Report.]

Final Report.

I Am directed to report that the Native Affairs Committee held its final meeting of this session yesterday morning (3rd November, 1904).

During the session forty-eight meetings were held of the main Committee, and the subcommittee appointed to consider and report on petitions held over from former years met five times and duly reported on the seventy-nine petitions referred to it.

The total number of petitions referred, including the above-mentioned seventy-nine, was 175. of these, 156 were duly considered and reported on; the remaining nineteen, as per schedule attached, are held over to nest session.

In the case of the petitions of Kuini Wi Rangipupu and Heni te Rau, relating to lands in the hands of the Public Trustee, the evidence taken by the Committee has been printed, and will be found in Parliamentary Paper I.-3A.

page 34

The Committee also considered and reported on the Native Land Rating Bill, the Rating Act Amendment Bill, the Taumutu Native Commonage Act Amendment Bill, and the Maori Land Claims Adjustment and Laws Amendment Bill.

I am also directed to report that the following resolution was unanimously carried on the motion of the Right Hon. Mr. Seddon, viz.:—

"That the Committee tenders its warmest thanks to Mr. Houston for his services and close attention to the business as Chairman, and in doing so expresses the hope that he may long be spared to continue his support to the Native race and the House as he has done for the past fourteen years."

4th November, 1904.

[Translation.]
Ripoata Whakamutunga.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei, i tu te huihuinga whakamutunga o te Komiti mo nga Mea Maori o tenei tunga o te Paremete, i te ata inanahi (te 3 o Noema, 1904).

I roto i tenei tunga o te Paremete 48 nga huihuinga o te Tino Komiti, a ko te Wahangakomiti, i whakaturia hei whiriwhiri hei ripoata hoki mo runga mo nga pitihana i toe mai i era atu tau, e rima ona huihuinga, a puta ana aana ripoata mo runga mo nga pitihana e whitu tekau ma iwa i tukua kia a ia.

Te huihuinga katoatanga o nga pitihana i tukuna, hui atu ki aua mea 79 kua korerotia i runga ake nei, kotahi rau e whitu tekau ma rima, a i roto i ena, 156 nga mea i whakahaerea, i ripoatangia; a ko nga mea 19 e toe ana e whakaatu ake nei i roto i te kupu apiti e piri nei ki tenei, kua waihotia atu mo tenei tunga o te Paremete e haere mai nei.

Mo nga pitihana a Kuini Wi Rangipupu me Heni te Rau, mo nga whenua kei roto i te ringa o te Kai-tiaki mo te Katoa, ko nga korero i whakarongona e te Komiti kua perehitia, a ka kitea i roto i te Pukapuka Paremete I.-3A.

I whiriwhiria ano e te Komiti, a i puta hoki tana ripoata, mo runga mo te Pire Reiti Whenua Maori, te Pire Whakatikatika i te Ture Reiti, te Pire Whakatikatika i Te Ture Kainga Maori i Taumutu, me te Pire Whakarite Kereme Whenua Maori Whakatikatika Ture.

Kua whakahaua ano ahau kia ki penei, i paahitia tenei kupu e nga mema katoa i reira, i runga i te motini a te Raiti Honore Te Hetana, ara:—

"E tino kaha ana te whakawhetai a te Komiti kia Te Auhana, mo ana mahi, me te kaha rawa ona ki te whakahaere i nga mahi o te Komiti, i runga i tona tunga Tiamana, a me te tumanako atu ano kia whakaroangia ona ra e ora ai ia hei hapai i te iwi Maori me te Whare, penei me ana mahi e mahi nei ia i roto i enei tau tekau ma wha kua hori ake nei."

4 o Noema, 1904.