Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1899.

[No. 22.—Petition of Cradock Beauchamp, of Anikiwa, Picton.]

No. 22.—Petition of Cradock Beauchamp, of Anikiwa, Picton.

Petitioner, who is the lessee of a Native reserve in Queen Charlotte Sound, prays that the law be amended to enable him to surrender his present lease and obtain a new one providing for compensation for improvements, as was done under the West Coast Settlement Reserves Act in the case of certain Native reserves in the North Island.

I am directed to report that the Committee recommend that this petition be referred to the Government, with a view to having legislation introduced to enable cases of this kind to be dealt with in an equitable manner.

8th August, 1899.

[Translation.]
No. 22.—Pitihana a Cradock Beauchamp, o Anikiwa, Picton.

Ko te kai-pitihana, he kai-reti i tetahi whenua Rahui Maori kei Queen Charlotte Sound, a e inoi ana kia whakatikatikaina te ture kia ahei ai ia ki te whakakore i taua riihi ana e mana nei, a kia taea ai te whakaputa he riihi hou ki a ia me te whakauru he kupu ki roto e utua ai ia mo ana whakapainga i te whenua, pera me nga riihi e tukua nei mo etahi whenua Rahui Maori i te Motu o Aotearoa nei i raro i te mana o te Ture Whakatautau i nga Rahui o te Tai Hauauru.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei, ki te whakaaro o te Komiti me tuku atu tenei pitihana ki te Kawanatanga, i runga i te whakaaro me mahi he ture kia taea ai nga keehi penei te ahua te whakahaere i runga i tetahi tikanga e tau ai te tika.

8 o Akuhata, 1899.