Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1899.

[Nos. 69, 100, 119, 197, and 220.—Petitions of Thomas Eustace Green and 60 Others, Tiemi Hipi and 44 Others, Teone Tikao Wira and 64 Others, Taare te Maiharoa and 31 Others, and Henare Rehu and 45 Others.]

Nos. 69, 100, 119, 197, and 220.—Petitions of Thomas Eustace Green and 60 Others, Tiemi Hipi and 44 Others, Teone Tikao Wira and 64 Others, Taare te Maiharoa and 31 Others, and Henare Rehu and 45 Others.

Petitioners pray that the power of willing away Native lands may be taken from the Maoris of the South Island, and that all wills made up to the present time may be revoked.

No. 138.—Petition of Taituha Hape and 8 Others.

Petitioners pray that a law be enacted setting at rest all question as to validity of wills in connection with Native lands, and that the right of Maoris to make wills in favour of whom they please may be maintained.

No. 239.—Petition of John Morris and 34 Others.

Petitioners, who are the lessees of Kaiapoi Native Reserves, fearing that recent decisions in regard to Maori wills in connection with the lands occupied by them may upset their titles, pray that legislation may be passed setting at rest all matters of dispute, and guaranteeing them security of tenure.

I am directed to report that the Committee is of opinion that the above-mentioned petitions should be referred to the Government, and that a case should be stated by the Native Appellate Court as soon as possible for the Supreme Court, in order to test the validity of Native wills in regard to Native lands under all classes of restrictions.

17th August, 1899.

[Translation.]

Nos. 69, 100, 119, 197, me 220.—Pitihana a Thomas Eustace Green me etahi atu e ono tekau, a Tiemi Hipi me etahi atu e wha tekau ma wha, a Teone Tikao Wira me etahi atu e ono tekau ma wha, a Taare te Maiharoa me etahi atu e toru tekau ma tahi, a Henare Rehu me etahi atu e wha tekau ma rima.

E inoi ana nga kai-pitihana kia tangohia atu i nga Maori o Te Waipounamu te mana e ahei nei ratou ki te tuku-a-wira i o ratou whenua Maori, a kia whakakorea atu te mana o nga wira i mahia e nga Maori o reira i mua atu o tenei ra.

No. 138.—Pitihana a Taituha Hape me etahi atu tokowaru.

E inoi ana nga kai-pitihana kia mahia he ture hei whakatau i te tika o nga wira katoa i mahia mo nga whenua Maori, a kia mau tonu ki nga Maori te mana tuku wira ki a ratou nei tangata e pai ai.

No. 239.—Pitihana a John Morris me etahi atu e toru tekau ma wha.

Ko nga tangata na ratou tenei pitihana he kai-reti i nga Rahui Maori i Kaiapoi, a i runga i to ratou manawapa kei whakakorea atu e nga whakataunga wira o naia tata nei o ratou taitara ki nga whenua e nohoia mai nei e ratou, na reira ka inoi ratou kia paahitia he ture hei whakatau i nga take pera katoa e tautohetohetia ana, a hei whakapumau i o ratou taitara ki aua whenua.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei, ki te whakaaro o te Komiti me tuku atu nga pitihana katoa kua huaina ake nei ki te Kawanatanga, a me tere tonu te whakatakoto a te Kooti Piira Maori i tetahi keehi hei tuku atu ki te Hupirimi Kooti, hei whakamatau i te tika i te he ranei o nga wira Maori e pa ana ki nga whenua katoa e uru ana he here ki roto ki nga taitara.

17 o Akuhata, 1899.