Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1897.

[Report on the Kapiti Island Public Reserve Bill.]

Report on the Kapiti Island Public Reserve Bill.

I am directed to report that the Committee to whom was referred the above-mentioned Bill, have, after taking evidence, a copy of which is attached, duly considered the same, and are of opinion that the Bill should not be allowed to proceed in its present form, but that a short Bill be passed this session preventing all private dealings with the land for twelve months, and in the meantime the Government should meet the Natives and endeavour to arrange matters with the native owners.

16th December, 1897.

[Translation.]
Te Pire Rahui i Kapiti Motu mo te Iwi Katoa.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei, i tukuna mai ki te Komiti te Pire e mau iho nei te ingoa, a kua whiriwhiria taua mea i runga i nga korero i korerotia ki to ratou aroaro, e mau nei te tauira o aua korero, a ki to ratou whakaaro kaua e tukuna taua Pire kia whakahaerea i runga i tona ahua e mau nei, engari me paahi he Pire poto hei arai, mo te tau kotahi, i nga whakahaerenga tuku katoa mo taua whenua a nga tangata noa iho, engari, i roto i taua tau kotahi, me kite te Kawanatanga i nga Maori a me whakamatau mehemea tera e taea te whakariterite etahi tikanga mo taua whenua i waenganui i te Kawauatanga me nga Maori nona taua whenua.

16 o Tihema, 1897.