Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1896.

[No. 303.—Petition of Sarah Thoms.]

No. 303.—Petition of Sarah Thoms.

Petitioner prays for restitution of certain lands set apart by the Ngatitoa Tribe for the benefit of her grandmother, Te Ua (the first wife of Joseph Thoms), and her descendants, the said lands having wrongfully passed into possession of the family of Joseph Thoms by a second (European) wife.

I am directed to report that the Committee recommend this petition be referred to the Government in order that the petitioner's case may be dealt with by the Commissioners appointed to attend to matters relating to the landless Natives of the South Island.

15th September, 1896.

[Translation. ]
No. 303.—Pitihana a Sarah Thoms.

E inoi ana te kai-pitihana kia whakahokia atu ki a ia etahi whenua i ata wehea e te iwi o Ngatitoa hei oranga mo tona kuia mo Te Ua (ko te wahine tuatahi tenei a Joseph Thoms) me ona uri, i te mea hoki kua riro he atu aua whenua i te whanau a taua Joseph Thoms raua ko tana wahine tuarua (he Pakeha).

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei, ki te whakaaro a te Komiti me tuku atu tenei pitihana ki te Kawanatanga kia ahei ai te hoatu o te keehi a te kai-pitihana kia mahia e nga Komihana kua whakaturia hei uiui hei whakahaere i nga putake e pa ana ki nga Maori kore whenua o Te Waipounamu.

15 o Hepetema, 1896.