Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1896.

[No. 247.—Petition of Hiraani Nopera and 4 Others.]

No. 247.—Petition of Hiraani Nopera and 4 Others.

Petitioners allege that in 1871 the Native Land Court awarded 8,000 acres in Mangaorapa to Atareta Taupe and her party, but since then, through a side-issue, the quantity has been wrongfully reduced to 5,000 acres. They, as successors to Atareta Taupe, pray that the matter may be rectified.

I am directed to report that the Committee recommend this petition be referred to the Government for inquiry, and if it is found that the allegations contained therein are correct, then steps should be taken to rectify the grievance in the manner suggested by the Chief Judge of the Native Land Court in his report to the Committee on the subject.

11th September, 1896.

[Translation. ]
No. 247.—Pitihana a Hiraani Nopera me etahi atu tokowha.

E ki ana nga kai-pitihana no te tau 1871 ka whakataua e te Kooti Whenua Maori e 8,000 eka o Mangaorapa ki a Atareta Taupe me tona hapu, no muri mai nei i runga i tetahi take, ehara nei i te tino take, whakaitia hetia ana nga eka kia 5,000 noa iho, a i te mea ko ratou nga kai-riiwhi mo Atareta Taupe, e inoi ana ratou kia whakatikatikaina taua mea.

page 15

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei, ki te whakaaro a te Komiti mo tuku atu tenei pitihana ki te Kawanatanga kia uiuia, a ki te kitea he tika nga kupu o taua pitihana, hei reira me whakahaere he tikanga hei whakatikatika i taua mate i runga i te aronga kua tohutohungia nei e te Tumuaki Kai-whakawa o te Kooti Whenua Maori i roto i tana ripoata ki te Komiti mo runga i tenei putake.

11 o Hepatoma, 1896.