Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1896.

[Nos. 31, 129, and 130.—Petitions of Hamuera Karaitiana and 123 Others; Heni Matene te Whiwhi and 13 Others; and Hamapiri Tarikama and 5 Others (No. 1).]

Nos. 31, 129, and 130.—Petitions of Hamuera Karaitiana and 123 Others; Heni Matene te Whiwhi and 13 Others; and Hamapiri Tarikama and 5 Others (No. 1).

Petitioners pray for the return of certain lands (Ngaumutawa Block, near Masterton, and the Whitireia Block, near Porirua) which were given to the Church of England on the strength of promises made by the representatives of that body to establish schools, &c., for the benefit of the Maoris, which promises have never been fulfilled.

I am directed to report that, in the opinion of this Committee, the petitioners have a just grievance, for it appears certain that the conditions under which the land was given to the Church of England by the Natives have never been carried into effect. The Committee therefore recommends that the Government introduce legislation for the purpose of setting aside the Crown grants issued in favour of the Lord Bishop of New Zealand, and of declaring the land "papatupu" or Native land, and restoring the same to the Native donors, or their successors, along with all the rents accrued thereon.

31st July, 1896.

[Translation. ]
Nos. 31, 129, me 130.—Pitihana a Hamuera Karaitiana me etahi atu kotahi rau e rua tekau ma toru; a Heni Matene te Whiwhi me etahi atu tekau ma toru; me Hamapiri Tarikama me etahi atu tokorima.

E inoi ana nga kai-pitihana kia whakahokia atu ki a ratou etahi whenua, ara, Ngaumutawa Poraka, e tata ana ki Mahitaone, me Whitireia Poraka, e tata ana ki Porirua, i hoatu nei ki te Hahi o Ingarangi i runga i nga kupu i korerotia e nga kai-whakahaere o taua Hahi ka whakaturia he kura hei painga mo nga Maori, a ko aua kupu i korerotia kaore ano i whakaritea.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei, ki te whakaaro a tenei Komiti he tika kua pa he mate ki nga kai-pitihana, notemea kua kitea ko nga tikanga i hoatu ai aua whenua e nga Maori ki te Hahi o Ingarangi kaore ano i whakatutukitia. No reira ka whai kupu te Komiti me whakauru e te Kawanatanga tetahi Pire ki te Whare hei whakakore atu i nga Karauna karaati i whakaputaina nei mo aua whenua ki te Pihopa o Niu Tireni, hei ki he whenua papatupu era, ara, he whenua Maori, a hei whakahoki i aua whenua, hui atu ki nga moni reti katoa i puta mai i aua whenua, ki nga Maori nana i tuku aua whenua ki o ratou uri ranei.

31 o Hurae, 1896.