Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1895

[No. 366.—Petition of G. E. Barton.]

No. 366.—Petition of G. E. Barton.

Petitioner prays that he may be released from the responsibility of having to rehear cases on which he has already given judgment under "The Poututu Jurisdiction Act, 1889."

I have the honour to report that your Committee, having considered this petition, are of opinion that it was intended that the findings and decisions of the Court established under "The Poututu Jurisdiction Act, 1889," should be final and conclusive, without appeal. As it has been stated on behalf of the Government that it is their intention to introduce legislation this session affirming that view, whilst at the same time the legal proceedings pending in the Supreme Court should not be affected nor legal rights created injured, the Committee think the prayer of the petitioner will be met by such legislation. Your Committee recommend that the petition be referred to the Government for consideration.

22nd October, 1895.
page 25

[Translation.]
No. 366.—Pitihana a G. E. Barton.

E Inoi ana kia whakamamatia ia, ara, kia kaua e hoatu tetahi mahi taumaha ki a ia i runga i tenei e meatia nei me whakawa tuarua ano e ia nga keehi kua oti nei i a ia te whakawa tuarua i raro i te Ture Whakahaere Mana mo Poututu.

E whai honore ana ahau ki te ripoata, kua hurihuria e te Komiti tenei pitihana, a ki ta ratou whakaaro i maharatia ko nga mea i kitea a i whakataua e te Kooti i whakaturia nei i raro i "Te Ture Whakahaere Mana mo Poututu, 1889," ko te tino otinga ko te tino tuturutanga tera, a e kore rawa e taea ano te tono kia whakawakia tuaruatia. I te mea kua whakapuakina te kupu e te taha ki te Kawanatanga ka mahia e ratou he ture i tenei huinga o te Paremete hei whakatatu i taua mahara, engari kaua e pa he raruraru i taua ture ki nga keehi kua uru nei ki te Hupirimi Kooti, ara, kaua e whakahengia e taua mea nga tika era e puta ake i aua mea, na reira ka whakaaro te Komiti tera e ea te inoi a te kai-pitihana ina mahia he ture pera te ahua. Ko te whakaaro tenei a te Komiti me tuku atu tenei pitihana ki te Kawanatanga kia whiriwhiria.

22 o Oketopa, 1895.