Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1895

[No. 638, 1894.—Petition of Members of the Rangitane Tribe.]

page 4

No. 638, 1894.—Petition of Members of the Rangitane Tribe.

Petitioners pray for a grant of land in reward for military services.

I have the honour to report as follows: The petitioners fought in the wars of 1866-68 on the West Coast. Some of the Native contingents who fought at the same time have had land awarded to them for their services. The petitioners did not send in their claim before the date fixed by the Naval and Military settlers Act for receiving claims. They explain this neglect by stating that they expected Major Kemp, at whose request they fought, would have claimed the land for them. As the question of granting land for military services to Europeans will, it is understood, have to be considered by the Government, the Committee recommend that this petition be deemed a claim, and be dealt with by the Government when the other claims for military services are considered.

11th July, 1895.

[Translation.]
No. 638, 1894.—Pitihana a te iwi o Rangitane.

E Inoi ana nga kai-pitihana kia hoatu he whenua mo ratou hei utu mo ta ratou mahi hoia.

E whai honore ana ahau ki te ripoata penei: I uru ki te mahi hoia nga kai-pitihana nga whawhai o te Tai Hauauru i nga tau 1866-68. Na ko etahi o nga hoia Maori i whawhai i taua wa kua whakawhiwhia ki te whenua mo ta ratou mahi. Engari kaore nga kai-pitihana i tuku atu i ta ratou kereeme i mua atu o te ra i whakatuturutia e Te Ture mo nga Heramana me nga Hoia hei taenga atu mo aua tu kereeme. Ko ta ratou whakamarama mo tenei mangere o ratou e penei ana, i mahara ratou ma Meiha Keepa, nana nei ratou i tare ki te whawhai, e tono he whenua mo ratou. I te mea e mohiotia ana, ko tenei putake, ara, ko te hoatu whenua ki nga Pakeha mo te mahi hoia, tera ia e whiriwhiria a muri ake nei e te Kawanatanga, kaati ki te whakaaro a te Komiti me ki he kereeme pera tenei pitihana, a me whakahaere e te Kawanatanga ina whiriwhiria etahi atu kereeme mo nga mahi hoia.

11 o Hurae, 1895.