Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1895

[No. 322.—Petition of Te Ranui Omahuru and 212 Others.]

No. 322.—Petition of Te Ranui Omahuru and 212 Others.

Petitioners pray that their interests in the West Coast Settlement Reserves may be individualised, to give them an opportunity of working their own lands.

I have the honour to report that the Committee recommend that the Public Trustee should, with the utmost publicity, invite applications from the Native owners who wish to occupy and cultivate their individual shares of the land, and, on receipt of such applications, give each applicant the opportunity of benefiting by the individualisation of his property, instead of being compelled, as at present, to live in a state of communism.

18th September, 1895.

[Translation.]
No. 322.—Pitihana a Te Ranui Omahuru me etahi atu e rua rau kotahi tekau ma rua.

E Inoi ana nga kai-pitihana me weheweha ki ia tangata o ratou whai-paanga i roto i nga Rahui o te Tai Hauauru kia ahei ai ia tangata o ratou ki te mahi i tana piihi whenua.

E whai honore ana ahau ki te ripoata, ki te whakaaro a te Komiti me tahuri te Kai-tiaki mo te Katoa ki te tuku i etahi panui, e kitea ana e te katoa, ki nga Maori no ratou te whenua, ara ki nga mea o ratou e hiahia ana ki te mahi i o ratou piihi i roto i aua whenua, a ma aua panui e whakaatu ka taea e ratou te tono e piihi whenua mo ratou, a hei te taenga atu o aua tono ki te Kai-tiaki mo te Katoa me whakatuwhera e ia he huarahi e whiwhi ai ia kai-tono i etahi painga mona i runga i te wehenga o tona whenua ki a ia, a i te mea hoki he pai ake tenei ritenga i nga tikanga e noho huihui nei nga tangata i o ratou whenua.

18 o Hepetema, 1895.