Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1895

[No. 26.—Petition of Inia Tuhuru and 25 Others.]

No. 26.—Petition of Inia Tuhuru and 25 Others.

Petitioners pray that "The Westland and Nelson Native Reserves Act, 1887," may be so amended as to allow the Public Trustee to hand over certain funds, in connection with the Arahura reserves, to the Native owners.

I have the honour to report that the Committee is of opinion that to give effect to the prayer of the petition it would be necessary to provide fresh legislation. This being the case, they recommend that the Government should make such inquiry as will enable it to determine whether such a step would be in the interests of the petitioners.

20th August, 1895.

[Translation.]
No. 26.—Pitihana a Inia Tuhuru me etahi atu e rua tekau ma rima.

E Inoi ana nga kai-pitihana kia whakatikatikaina "The Westland and Nelson Native Reserves Act, 1887," kia whai mana ai te Kai-tiaki mo te Katoa ki te tuku atu i etahi moni, e pa ana ki nga Rahui o Arahura, ki nga Maori no ratou aua whenua.

E whai honore ana ahau ki te ripoata, ki te whakaaro a te Komiti, e tau ai te inoi a nga kai-pitihana me mahi he ture hou, a i te mea koia tena te tikanga, heoi ka whai kupu te Komiti ma te Kawanatanga e uiui kia mohiotia ai mehemea ranei koira te huarahi e puta ai he painga mo nga kai-pitihana.

20 o Akuhata, 1895.