Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1895

[No. 4.—Petition of H. T. Mahupuku.]

No. 4.—Petition of H. T. Mahupuku.

Petitioner states that he is the owner of land valued at about £18,000, and has other rights in land worth some thousands more. He wishes for authority to borrow on the security of his land to pay his debts. Under the Act of last session, and by the policy of the Government indorsed by the House, he can neither sell his land nor borrow. If he were allowed to borrow or sell he would have enough left, he says, to maintain himself and his family. He is threatened with bankruptcy if he can get no relief by some alteration of the law.

The Committee recommend the petition to the careful and serious consideration of the Government, believing that cases of this kind should be dealt with in the amending Bill about to be brought before Parliament.

31st July, 1895.

[Translation.]
No. 4.—Pitihana a H. T. Mahupuku.

E Ki ana te kai-pitihana he tangata whai whenua ia, a e tata ana ki te £18,000 te utu o ana whenua, a tera ano etahi atu paanga ona ki etahi atu whenua e eke ana nga utu ki etahi atu mano pauna. E tono ana ia kia hoatu he mana ki a ia e ahei ai ia ki te nama moni i runga i ona whenua hei whakaea i ana nama. I runga i te Ture i mahia i tera huihuinga o te Paremete, a i runga i nga tikanga whakahaere a te Kawanatanga i whakamana e te Whare, kua kore ia e whai mana ki te hoko ki te mokete ranei i ona whenua. E ki ana ia mehemea e whai mana ana ia ki te mokete ki te hoko ranei i ona whenua ka whiwhi noatu ia i te moni hei oranga mo ratou ko tona whanau. Ki te kore te Ture e whakatikatikaina tera ia e pekeraputia.

E whai kupu ana te Komiti kia tino ata whiriwhiria e te Kawanatanga tenei pitihana, no te mea ki ta ratou whakaaro me whakauru he tikanga mo nga take penei te ahua ki roto ki te Pire whakatikatika meake nei ka whakatakotoria ki te aroaro o te Paremete.

31 o Hurae, 1895.