Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1894.

[No. 415.—Petition of Te Roore Rangiheuea and 26 Others.]

No. 415.—Petition of Te Roore Rangiheuea and 26 Others.

Petitioners pray that a piece of land at Moutoa, 20 acres in area, which they allege was originally given to the Church Missionary Society, may be returned to them, and not vested in the Bishop of Wellington.

I am directed to report that, as the land referred to in the petition is now vested in the Crown, in trust for Church purposes, it cannot be disposed of save by the consent of Parliament. The petitioners are misinformed as to the land being intended to be vested hi the Bishop of Wellington. The Committee recommends that, as the Natives have not been living for some considerable time on the land, and, as it is not now required for Church purposes, it should be held by the Crown in trust for the Natives now living thereon. The petition is therefore referred to the Government for consideration.

12th October, 1894.

[Translation. ]
No. 415.—Pitihana a Te Roore Rangiheuea me etahi atu e 26.

E inoi ana nga kai-pitihana kia whakahokia atu ki a ratou tetahi piihi whenua i Moutoa, e 20 eka te nui, e ki nei ratou i hoatu taua wahi ki te Huihuinga Mihimare kahore i tukua ki raro i te mana o te Pihopa o Poneke.

Kua whakahaua ahua kia ki penei: I runga i te mea kua tukua taua whenua ki raro i te mana o te Karauna inaianei tiaki ai mo nga mahi o te haahi, e kore taua whenua e taea te tuku engari me matua whakaae e te Paremete i te tuatahi. I pohehe te rongo o nga kai-pitihana kei te meatia kia tau taua whenua ki raro ki te mana o te Pihopa o Poneke. Ko te kupu a te Komiti i runga i te mea kua roa noa atu nga Maori e noho ana i runga i te whenua inaianei, a i runga hoki i te mea kahore taua whenua i te hiahiatia inaianei mo nga mahi o te haahi me tiaki e te Karauna taua wahi whenua mo nga Maori e noho nei i runga inaianei. Na reira ka tukua atu nei te pitihana ki te Kawanatanga kia whiriwhiria tona tikangi.

12 Oketopa, 1894.