Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1894.

[Nos. 55, 71, 110, and 365.—Petitions of Reihana Moheketanga and 47 Others, Wiremu te Teeti and 43 Others, Rewiri Hongi and 11 Others, and Honi Peti and 4 Others.]

page 10

Nos. 55, 71, 110, and 365.—Petitions of Reihana Moheketanga and 47 Others, Wiremu te Teeti and 43 Others, Rewiri Hongi and 11 Others, and Honi Peti and 4 Others.

Petitioners pray that certain blocks of land situated in the northern part of the Provincial District of Auckland, commonly known as "surplus lands," may be returned to them, or compensation paid therefor.

I am directed to report that the Committee recommends the Government, as these grievances have been of very long standing, and as it will be the means of settling these matters and putting the minds of the Natives at rest for once and for all, a Royal Commission should be appointed to inquire into the allegation set forth in the above petition.

2nd October, 1894.

[Translation. ]
Nos. 55, 71, 110, and 365.—Pitihana a Reihana Moheketanga me etahi atu 47, Wiremu te Teeti me etahi atu 43, Rewiri Hongi me etahi atu 11, me Hone Peti me etahi atu 4.

E inoi ana nga kai-pitihana kia whakahokia atu ki a ratou etahi whenua i roto i te taha ki te Raki o te Takiwa Porowini o Akarana, ara nga whenua e kiia nei he "whenua toenga," kia puta atu ranei ki a ratou he moni utu mo aua whenua.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei: Ko te kupu a te Komiti, i runga i te mea kua roa te wa e haere ana enei raruraru, a hei mea hoki e oti ai aua raruraru, e tatu ai hoki nga ngakau o nga Maori mo nga wa katoa, me whakatu he Roera Komihana hei uiui i nga tikanga o nga pitihana i runga ake nei.

2 Oketopa, 1894.