Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1893.

[No. 118.—Petition of Te Hira Pateoro and Others.]

No. 118.—Petition of Te Hira Pateoro and Others.

Petitioners pray for legislation to enable them to obtain a rehearing in the matter of succession to Apihai te Kawau.

I have the honour to report that the Committee has carefully read the papers referring to the Orakei Block, and find as follows:—
(1.) That the petitioners allege that they are the true successors of Apihai te Kawau.
(2.) It appears that Apihai te Kawau died in 1869, and left a will appointing Paora Tuhaere his successor. Paora also claimed the land as being entitled to it.
(3.) A Crown grant was issued in 1873 in favour of Apihai te Kawau and twelve others, of whom Paora Tuhaere was one. The land was antevested as from 10th February, 1869.
(4.) In 1882 a private Act was passed, in which it was declared that Paora Tuhaere was the trustee of the land.
(5.) On the 2nd March, 1883, Paora Tuhaere was declared in the Native Land Court to be the successor of Apihai te Kawau. At this Court the son of Apihai (Te Hira te Kawau) was present, and consented to such succession. The petitioners are the children of a daughter of Apihai.
(6.)Paora Tuhaere died on the 12th March, 1892.
(7.) The petitioners did not in Paora's lifetime object to the succession order made in Paora's favour by any petition or by any proceedings in the Court. They, however, shortly before his death, and when he was in ill-health, did communicate with the Native Department. The Committee have not, however, had that letter before them. The succession order was at that time nine years old.
(8.) In 1892 "The Orakei Succession Further Investigation Act, 1892," was passed, allowing one Rere Arama to apply for a rehearing as to certain succession orders, but not the order found fault with by the petitioners.
(9.) An application was made to the Chief Judge for a rehearing on 23rd September last by Rere Arama, and the same was filed awaiting inquiry, but no further action has been taken on the application.page 16
(10.) The Committee, under the above circumstances, cannot recommend that a succession order more than ten years old should now be reopened, especially as Paora Tuhaere is dead, and perhaps much valuable evidence may not be now available.
23rd August, 1893.

[Translation.]
No. 118.—Pukapuka inoi a Te Hira Pateoro me etahi atu.

E inoi ana nga kai-pitihana kia hanga he ture kia ahei ai ratou te tono whakawa mo nga kairiwhi kia Apihai te Kawau.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei: Kua korerotia kua ata whiriwhiria hoki nga pukapuka e pa ana ki te Orakei Poraka a penei ana ta ratou whakataunga.
(1.) E ki ana nga kai-pitihana ko ratou nga kairiwhi tika kia Apihai te Kawau.
(2.) E mohiotia ana i mate a Apihai te Kawau i te tau 1869 a waiho iho e ia he wira whakatu i a Paora Tuhaere hei kairiwhi mona I mea ano hoki a Paora e whai take ana ia ki taua whenua.
(3.) I tukuna he Karauna karaati i te tau 1873 kia Apihai te Kawau me etahi atu tekau-ma-rua a ko Paora Tuhaere ano tetahi o taua tekau-ma-rua a i tukuna taua whenua timata mai i te 10 o nga ra o Pepuere 1869.
(4.) I te tau 1882 ka paahitia tetahi Ture Motuhake a i ki taua Ture ko Paore Tuhaere te kaitiaki mo te whenua.
(5.) I te 2 o nga ra o Maehe 1883 ka kiia a Paora Tuhaere e te Kooti Whenua Maori ko te riwhi kia Apihai te Kawau, a i te mea e noho ana taua Kooti i reira ano a Te Hira te tama a Apihai te Kawau a i whakaae ia ko Paora Tuhaere hei riwhi, a ko nga kai-pitihana he tamariki na te tamahine a Apihai te Kawau.
(6.) I mate a Paora Tuhaere i te 12 o nga ra o Maehe, 1892.
(7.) Kihai nga kai-pitihana i whakahe i te wa e ora ana a Paora ki te ota whakatu i aia hei kairiwhi i runga i te pitihana mai i runga ranei i tetahi atu huarahi ra roto i te Kooti. He tika ano ia ta ratou tukunga pukapuka mai ki te Tari Maori i mua tata o te matenga o Paora. Erangi kihai i tae mai taua pukapuka ki te aroaro o te Komiti a kua kotahi tau i muri iho o te whakaputanga o te ota kia Paora hei kairiwhi.
(8.) I te tau 1892 ka paahitia "Te Orakei Further Investigation Act, 1892": me te tuku i a rere Arama kia tuku tono mo te whakawa mo te ota riwhi haunga ia te ota e tautohetia ana e nga kaipitihana.
(9.) I tukuna he tono ki te Tumuaki o te Kooti Whenua Maori i te 23, o Hepetema kua pahure nei e Rere Arama a whakatarewatia ana taua tono kia uiuia ai nga tikanga a kihai tetahi tikanga i whakahaerengia i muri iho mo runga i taua tono.
(10.) Akuanei i raro i aua tikanga kahore e kaha te Komiti ki te tono kia whakatuwheratia ano taua keehi kua kotahi tekau nei nga tau e takoto ana a i runga hoki i te mea kua mate a Paora Tuhaere a e kore e ahei e ia inaianei te whakapuaki i nga korero e tau tika ai te taha ki aia.
23 o Akuhata, 1893.