Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1891, No. 2.

[No. 97, 1891, Sess. II.—Petition of Rutu Peehi.]

No. 97, 1891, Sess. II.—Petition of Rutu Peehi.

Petitioner prays that the Land Transfer Act may be amended, in order that losses she has sustained through the working of the same may be made good, and that she may receive further relief.

I am directed to report as follows: The petitioner states that a certificate of title was issued to her by the Native Land Court in 1881; that in 1882 she transferred a portion of her interest to Henare Herekau by memorandum of transfer, dated 14th September, 1882; that in July, 1883, Henare Herekau applied to the Native Land Court for an order of freehold tenure; that such an order was issued, but included the whole of the section instead of a portion, as stated in the petition. The Committee, after reading Mr. Bridson’s letter of the 23rd ultimo, are of opinion that, as the mistake emanated through Judge Puckey making the order and Mr. Bridson engrossing the enrolment without discovering the error, the Government should take the necessary steps to have justice done to the petitioner.

21st August, 1891.

[Translation.]
No. 97, 1891, Sess. II.—Pukapuka-inoi a Rutu Peehi.

E Inoi ana te kai-pitihana kia whakatikatikaia te Ture Whakawhiti Whenua kia ahei te whakaora i tona mate i tau nei ki runga i aia i runga i taua Ture a kia tau mai ai tetahi atu ora ki aia.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei: E ki ana te kai-pitihana i whakaputaina ki aia tetahi tiwhikete take e te Kooti Whenua Maori i te tau 1881, a i tukuna tetahi wahi o tona whenua i te tau, 1882, kia Henare Herekau i runga i tetahi whakamaharatanga tuku o te 14 o nga ra o Hepetema, 1882; a i a Hurae, 1883, ka tono a Henare Herekau ki te Kooti Whenua Maori mo tetahi ota kia riro tonu ake taua whenua i aia, a whakaputaina ana taua ota erangi kihai i whakaurua ko tetahi wahi o taua tekiona erangi ko te tekiona katoa pera ano me te whakaatu mai a te pitihana. Akuanei e whakaaro ana te Komiti i runga i te korerotanga o te pukapuka a te Pirihona o te 23 o nga ra i te mea i puta mai taua he i a Tiati Paki i runga i tana hanga nga i te ota a i runga hoki i te tuhituhinga a te Pirihona i tau ota i te mea kahore ia i kite i te he me tahuri te Kawanatanga ki te tuku i te ora ki te kai-pitihana.

21 o Akuhata, 1891.