Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1891, No. 2.

[Nos. 53 and 63, 1891, Sess. II.—Petitions of H. E. Johnston and Others (No. 1), and Henry Green and Another.]

Nos. 53 and 63, 1891, Sess. II.—Petitions of H. E. Johnston and Others (No. 1), and Henry Green and Another.

Petitioners, who are shareholders in the New Zealand Native Land Settlement Company, pray that facilities may be given to enable them to carry out the objects of their company.

I am directed to report as follows: It appears that the Native owners of lands on the East Coast and in other places desired to have their lands cut up for settlement. After some unsuccessful and costly attempts they formed a company with Europeans, the Maoris giving land and the Europeans money for the necessary expenses. The company was formed, but owing to many impediments arising from the state of the Native land laws and their numerous changes, the delay of the Native Land Courts, the want of assistance, both from the Legislature and Government, together with the heavy expenses attendant upon the conduct of the business, the Company failed. The European shareholders have lost enormous sums of money, and now the lands of the Natives are in serious danger. The former Native owners ore in many cases still in occupation, and it seems probable that to eject them would lead to very serious difficulties. They have not received anything like the value of their land. The inhabitants of the district, both Europeans and Maoris, have for a long time wished Government to pay off the mortgages at proper valuation, and cut the properties up for settlement, after making proper reservations for the Natives. Wi Pere, in his evidence, asserts that Natives interested in other lands will allow them to go as security for the money to be paid. It also appears that there are claims which the Government could recoup which cannot be recovered by any private individual or company.

The Committee recommends that power should he given to the Government to take over these lands on behalf of the Maori owners, on terms to be arranged between the Government, the Maoris, and the assets company; the land to be taken at a valuation to be made under the Public Works Act, additional security to be given to the Government, not only over the claims above mentioned, but also over the Native land to be agreed upon between the Government and the Maoris interested. (For evidence, vide I.–3a.)

18th September, 1891.

[Translation.]
Nos. 53 and 63, 1891, Sess. II.—Pukapuka-inoi a Mr. H. E. Johnston me etahi atu (No. 1), me Henare Kirini me etahi atu.

Ko Nga kai-pitihana e whai hea nei i roto i Niu Tireni Kamupam Whakanohonoho Whenua Maori e inoi ana kia whakahaere a tetahi huarahi kia ahei ai te whakaoti i nga tihanga o taua Kamupani.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei: E whakaarohia ana i te hiahia nga Maori whai take o etahi whenua i te Tai Rawhiti me etahi atu wahi kia rohe rohea o ratou whenua hei whakanoho i te tangata ki runga i aua whenua a i runga i te whakamatauranga ki te pera me te nui o nga utu i te mahinga ka hanga e ratou he Kamupani ki waenganui i a ratou me etahi Pakeha, ko nga Maori ki te homai i te whenua ko nga Pakeha ki te whakaputa moni hei utu i nga tini utu. Heoi hanga ana taua Kamupani, otira i runga i te maha o nga raruraru i runga i te ahua o nga Ture Whenua Maori me te nui o nga utu i tonoa e ratou me te whakaroa o nga Kooti Whenua Maori me te kore awhina mai e te ture me te Kawanatanga me te nui o nga utu i tonoa kia utua i runga i nga mahinga hinga ana taua Kamupani. He hira rawa nga moni a te hunga whai hea i roto i taua Kamupani kua ngaro, a he nui rawa te mate me te raruraru kua tau ki runga i nga whenua Maori, a kai te nohia ano aua whenua e nga Maori whai take ki aua whenua, a tera pea e tipu mai tetahi raruraru nui mehemea e pana ana nga Maori i runga i aua whenua. Kahore hoki i riro i a ratou nga moni kia rite ki te utu o aua whenua. Kua roa te wa e hiahia ana nga Maori me nga Pakeha kia utua e te Kwanatanga nga Mokete i runga ano i te utu tika me te roherohe i aua whenua kia nohia e te tangata. I ki ano hoki Wi Pere i roto i ana korero tera nga Maori e whai take ana ki etahi atu whenua e whakaae ki te tuku i o ratou whenua hei punga mo nga moni o whakaputaina e te Kawanatanga. E whakaarohia ana hohi tera etahi tono e ahei e te Kwanatanga te whakaoti ekore nei e taea e nga Pakeha e tetahi Kamupani ranei. A a tono ana te Komiti kia tukuna tetahi mana ki te Kawanatanga ki te tango mai i aua whenua mo te taha ki nga Maori whai take i runga i tetahi huarahi e whakaritea ki waenga i te Kawanatanga me nga Maori me te Kamupani. Me tango te whenua i runga i te utu whiriwhiri i raro i te Ture o nga mahi Nunui me te tuku i tetahi punga ki to Kawanatanga haunga i runga i nga tono kua whakahuatia i runga ake nei erangi i runga hoki i nga whenua Maori e whakaaetia ki waenga i te Kawanatanga me nga Maori e whai take ana.

18 o Hepetema, 1891.