Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1890.

[No. 302, 1890.—Petition of Naiti Huata and 2 Others.]

No. 302, 1890.—Petition of Naiti Huata and 2 Others.

Petitioners pray that a piece of land containing forty acres, within the Maluku Block, in the Hawke's Bay District, may be granted to them as the children of Ripeka Huata.

I have the honour to report as follows: That the opinion of the Committee is that this petition be referred to the Government for inquiry as to whether there has been any failure on the part of the Native Land Court to protect the interests of the minors, as it is understood that the minutes of the Court show that the Court appointed Tamihana Huata successor to the mother of the children on condition that a reserve was to be conveyed to the children, and which has not only not been done, but owing to the action of the Court the children appear to be without any legal remedy.

13th September, 1890.

[Translation.]
No. 302, 1890.—Pukapuka-inoi a Naiti Huata me etahi atu tokorua.

E inoi ana nga kai-pitihana Ma karaatitia kia ratou tetahi piihi whenua e wha tekau eka i roto i te Matukutuku Poraka i te Takiwa o Haaki Pei, notemea ko ratou nga tamariki a Ripeka Huata.

page 14

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei: Ki te whakaaro o tenei Komiti me tuku tenei pitihana ki te Kawanatanga kia whiriwhiria e ratou mehemea no te Kooti Whenua Maori te he ki te tiaki i nga take a aua tamariki pera me nga tuhituhinga i roto o nga pukapuka o te Kooti. I whakaturia e te Kooti a Tamihaua Huata hei riiwhi ao te whaea o aua tamariki i runga i enei tikanga, me tapae atu he rahui ma aua tamariki, otiia kihai i tapaetia a kua kore he tikanga i runga i te ture e ea ai te mate a aua tamariki.

13 o Hopetema, 1890.