Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1889.

[Nos. 173, 320. 322, 324, 327, 329, 376, 377, 378, 389, 400, and 401, 1889. —Petitions of G. P. Mutu and Others (No. 2), Reone Timoti and Others (No. 1), Rewi Koruarua and Others (No.1), Hoani Korehe Kahu and Others (No. 1), Kehoma Hokianga and Others (No. 2), Watene Tapiha and Others (No. 2), Robert Brown and Others (No. 2), Te Koti Terato and Others (No. 2), Teone Paina and Others (No. 2), Timoti Karetai and Others (No. 2), James Rickers and Others (No. 1), Honi Matiu and Others (No. 1).]

Nos. 173, 320. 322, 324, 327, 329, 376, 377, 378, 389, 400, and 401, 1889. —Petitions of G. P. Mutu and Others (No. 2), Reone Timoti and Others (No. 1), Rewi Koruarua and Others (No.1), Hoani Korehe Kahu and Others (No. 1), Kehoma Hokianga and Others (No. 2), Watene Tapiha and Others (No. 2), Robert Brown and Others (No. 2), Te Koti Terato and Others (No. 2), Teone Paina and Others (No. 2), Timoti Karetai and Others (No. 2), James Rickers and Others (No. 1), Honi Matiu and Others (No. 1).

Petitioners state that they suffer great loss owing to the operation of clause 3 of the Stamp Duties Act. They pray that the operation of the Act may be removed from all their reserves.

I am directed to report as follows: That the Committee is opinion that something should be done to remove the grounds of complaint. The Stamp Act is oppressive and a heavy burden upon the Native race, as it is generally stopped out of rents. It should be distributed over the period of the lease by an annual payment. The Committee therefore recommend the petitioners to the Government for favourable consideration.

21st August, 1889.

[Translation.]
Nos. 173, 320, 322, 324, 327, 329, 376, 377, 378, 389, 400, me 401, 1889. —Pukapuka-inoi a G. P. Mutu me etahi atu (No. 2), me Reone Timoti me etahi atu (No. 1), me Rewi Koruarua me etahi atu (No. 1), me Hoani Korehe Kahu me etahi atu (No. 1), me Kehoma Hokianga me etahi atu (No. 2), me Watene Tapiha me etahi atu (No. 2), Me Robert Brown me etahi atu (No. 2), me Te Koti Terato me etahi atu (No. 2), me Teone Paina me etahi atu (No. 2), me Timoti Karetai me etahi atu (No. 2), me James Rickers me etahi atu (No. 1), me Honi Matiu me etahi atu (No. 1).

E Ki ana nga kai-pitihana he nui to ratou mate i runga i nga tikanga o te rarangi 3 o te Ture Pane Kuini. E inoi ana ratou kia unuhia taua Ture i runga i a ratou rahui katoa.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei: E whakaaro ana te Komiti me whakahaere tetahi tikanga hei whakamutu i enei tono no te mea he taumaha rawa te Ture Pane Kuini ki runga i te iwi Maori no te mea e tangohia ana aua moni i roto i nga moni reti. No te mea tika me utu aua moni i roto i ia tau o nga tau o te riihi. No konei ka tukua e te Komiti te pitihana ki te Kawanatanga kia ata whiriwhiria paitia e ratou.

21 o Akuhata, 1889.