Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1888.

[No. 207.—Petition of Matenga Taiwhanga.]

No. 207.—Petition of Matenga Taiwhanga.

Petitioner, who is part owner of a block of land called Parahirahi, states that he agreed to sell part of the block to the Government for mining purposes, and upon which some money was paid to his brother. He now prays that the land may be returned to him upon his repaying to the Government the money they have paid.

I am directed to report as follows: That it appears from the evidence of Mr. Lewis Under-Secretary, Native Department, that a promise was made of £100 to Mr. S. Taiwhanga when the whole of the signatures were obtained. The whole of the signatures not having yet been obtained the right to the amount has not accrued. Therefore the Committeee has no recommendation to make.

1st August, 1888
page 22

[Translation.]
No. 207—Pukapuka-inoi a Matenga Taiwhanga.

Ko te kai-pitihana he tangata whai take ki tetahi wahi o tetahi poraka e karangatia ana ko Parahirahi a e ki ana i whakaae ia ki te hoko i tetahi wahi o taua poraka ki te Kawanatanga he mahi maina. A i utua ano etahi moui runga i taua poraka ki tana teina. E inoi ana ia i inaianei kia whakahokia te whenua ki aia ina utua mai ki te Kawanatanga nga moni i utua atu e te Kawanatanga.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei: I runga it te whakamaramatanga mai i runga i nga korero a te Ruihi Heketari o te Tari Maori. I puta ano tetahi kupu whakaae kia Hirini Taiwhanga ka utua nga moni £100 ki aia (ara) ki te hainatia te pukupuku e nga tangata whai take katoa, inaianei kahore ano kia hainatia kahore ano hoki e tika kia riro moni. Heoi kahore he kupu a te Komiti.

1 o Akuhata, 1888