Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1888.

[Nos. 61 and 62.—Petitions of Wepiha Apanui and 206 Others, and Rewiri Paera and 23 Others.]

Nos. 61 and 62.—Petitions of Wepiha Apanui and 206 Others, and Rewiri Paera and 23 Others.

Petitioners pray that an Act may be passed under which the confiscated lands in the Bay of Plenty may be rendered of more service to them, by setting aside the original grants, and fresh ones issued, placing all the owners on an equality.

I am directed to report as follows: That petitioners have undoubtedly a grievance, and a very grave one; but, as it has been pointed out by the Chief Judge Macdonald, clause 41 of "The Native Land Court Act, 1886," is thought to provide the desired remedy. The Committee therefore recommends that the petitioners take advantage of the clause referred to for the purpose of bringing the lands complained of under the adjudication of the Native Land Court, so that the present tenure may be altered and fresh grants issued to all the owners thereof; also, that the Government afford every facility to the petitioners in getting their cases brought before the Land Court; or, if it is found to be necessary, pass such legislation as will satisfy the prayer of the petitioners.

31st May, 1888

[Translation.]
Nos. 61 and 62.—Pukapuka-inoi a Wepiha Apanui me ona hoa e 206 me Rewiri Paera me ona hoa e 23.

E Inoi ana nga kai-pitihana kia pahitia tetahi Ture hei whakakaore i nga karaati tawhito me te tuku i etahi karaati hou kia ahei te whakahaere i tetahi tikanga hou mo runga i nga whenua raupatu i te Pei o Pereti kia rite tonu te hea ma ia tangata me te tau o te ora ki runga i a ratou.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei: Kahore i ruarua te whakaaro he mate nui ano to nga kaipitihana otira kua oti te whakaatu e te Tumuaki e Maketanara tera ano tetahi huarahi e ea ai to ratou mate kei te rarangi 41 o te "Ture Kooti Whenua Maori, 1886," no konei ka whakahau te Komiti i nga kai-pitihana kia whakahaerea taua rarangi kia ahei ai te tuku i te whenua e korerotia nei ki te aroaro o te Kooti Whenua Maori kia ahei ai hoki te pupuri i te whenua i runga i tetahi tikanga ke me te tuku i etahi karaati hou ki nga tangata whai take katoa, me te whakangawari atu hoki e te Kawanatanga i nga huarahi e ahei ai nga kai-pitihana te tuku i ta ratou kehi ki te aroaro o te Kooti Whenua Maori. A ki te mea e kitea ana he mea tika, me hanga i tetahi Ture hei whakarite mo te inoi a nga kai-pitihana.

31 o Mei, 1888