Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1887, No. 1

[No. 153:—Petition of Te Kere Ngataierua and 2 Others.]

No. 153:—Petition of Te Kere Ngataierua and 2 Others.

Petitioners, who are members of the Ngatitu Tribe, state that a block of land called Opatu was sold to the Government by certain Natives who had no claim to the block. They pray that a rehearing may take place, so that they may be able to assert their lights to the land, which they say is theirs.

I am directed to report as follows: That there cannot be a rehearing, as the block was dealt with in January, 1886, and no appeal was made. Those who dissented from the sale of Opatu have had then land cut out, and thus their interests are preserved. The Committee has no recommendation to make.

8th June, 1887.

[Translation.]
No. 153.—Pukapuka-inoi a Te Kere Ngataierua me etahi atu tokorua.

Ko nga kai-pitihana he hunga nei no Ngatitu e mea ana i hokona tetahi poraka whenua e karangatia nei ko Opatu Ma te Kawanatanga e etahi tangata kahore nei i whai take ki te whenua. E inoi ana ratou kia whakawakia tuaruatia Ma ahei ai ratou te whakahaere i a ratou take ki te whenua e ki nei ratou no ratou.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei: E kore e taea te whakawa tuarua no te mea kua whakawakia i te marama o Hanuere, 1886, a kahore he tono whakawa tuarua i tukuna i reira. Ko nga tangata kihai i pai ki te hoko i o ratou hea ki te whenua kua wehea a e tiakina ana o ratou take. No reira kahore he kupu a te Komiti mo runga i tenei tono.

8 o Hune, 1887.